7.3L / 6.8L V8 Gasoline Engines Discuss the new 7.3 and 6.8L Gasoline V8s

Welcome to the 7.3L Gasoline V8 Engine Forum

Search this Thread

Old 02-19-2019, 04:24 PM
rvpuller
Received 431 Likes on 282 Posts
Welcome to the 7.3L Gasoline V8 Engine Forum

This is where we will discussing what we know and don't know about the new big block Ford motor, it may or may not be called Godzilla.

Let's be sure all the forum guidelines are followed and have fun.

Denny

Old 02-19-2019, 05:54 PM
Chuck's First Ford
Postmaster
Received 15 Likes on 15 Posts
The Hammer Breaker... not catchy .. but still

by the way.. yesterday.. I heard/seen a Helcat hammer on it in Town...( first, second, third )
a sound you will not forget..
then it pulled into the Doctor Only parking lot..

Old 02-19-2019, 09:05 PM
someday
Fleet Mechanic
Received 7 Likes on 4 Posts
With a purposeful grimace and a terrible sound
He pulls the spitting high-tension wires down
Helpless people on subway trains
Scream, bug-eyed, as he looks in on them
He picks up a bus and he throws it back down
As he wades through the buildings toward the center of town
Oh, no, they say he's got to go
Go, go, Godzilla (yeah)
Oh, no, there goes Tokyo
Go, go, Godzilla (yeah)
Go, go, Godzilla (yeah)
Oh, no, there goes Tokyo
Go, go, Godzilla (yeah)
Godzilla!

Old 02-19-2019, 09:33 PM
rvpuller
Originally Posted by someday
Go, go, Godzilla (yeah)
Oh, no, there goes Tokyo
Go, go, Godzilla (yeah)
Go, go, Godzilla (yeah)
Oh, no, there goes Tokyo
Go, go, Godzilla (yeah)
Godzilla!
If Ford doesn't come up with a official name maybe we will have to name it.

I don't see it being a race motor but more of a long stroke low end grunt big block motor like the 460 but with all the new technology to give it more power and fuel efficiency and a 10 speed transmission to keep it in the power band when needed.

Denny

Old 02-20-2019, 12:37 AM
shamrockthecasbah
Cross-Country
Received 17 Likes on 9 Posts
Originally Posted by someday
Go, go, Godzilla (yeah)
Oh, no, there goes Tokyo
Go, go, Godzilla (yeah)
Go, go, Godzilla (yeah)
Oh, no, there goes Tokyo
Go, go, Godzilla (yeah)
Godzilla!
I say Blue Oyster Cult, my oldest daughter says Smashing Pumpkins. What's your favorite version?

Old 02-20-2019, 03:12 AM
someday
Fleet Mechanic
Received 7 Likes on 4 Posts
this thing will give people an option other than a chevy LS

Old 02-20-2019, 07:29 AM
tjc transport
i ain't rite
Received 3,110 Likes on 2,170 Posts
the 7.3 is a diesel ya silly wabbit!!!

Old 02-21-2019, 04:43 AM
T diesel
Posting Guru
Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts
I was at this show BTW!
BOC for the win!

Old 02-21-2019, 06:26 AM
dnewton3
Elder User
Received 14 Likes on 13 Posts
Originally Posted by rvpuller
If Ford doesn't come up with a official name maybe we will have to name it.

I don't see it being a race motor but more of a long stroke low end grunt big block motor like the 460 but with all the new technology to give it more power and fuel efficiency and a 10 speed transmission to keep it in the power band when needed.

Denny
Oddly, the 460ci motor was never a "long stroke" motor. It was an oversquare design, actually. (bore 4.36 x stroke 3.85)
"Long stroke" typically refers to any ICE engine with a stroke greater than the bore. aka underquare.
"Short stroke" is the opposite; stroke shorter than the bore. aka oversquare
A "square" engine is one where the bore/stroke are essentially the same (such as the 4.6L Ford mod motor). (bore 3.55 x stroke 3.54).
The 5.4L/6.8L engines were truly "long-stroke" tall-deck engines (same 3.55 bore as the 4.6L; stroke at 4.16). Oddly, people often claim the v-10 would "rev" better than the old 460, but the physical b/s ratio clearly favored the old Lima engine.

If I recall, the new 7.3L gas motor is still "oversquare" and not a long-stroke engine. I think I heard that description of the b/s ratio somewhere in one of the press releases. I may be wrong here; just what I recall from the many videos I've watched so far.
Just because it's aimed at mid-rpm torque production, does not mean it's a "long stroke" engine.

Old 02-21-2019, 09:05 AM
rvpuller
Originally Posted by dnewton3
Oddly, the 460ci motor was never a "long stroke" motor. It was an oversquare design, actually. (bore 4.36 x stroke 3.85)
"Long stroke" typically refers to any ICE engine with a stroke greater than the bore. aka underquare.
A "square" engine is one where the bore/stroke are essentially the same (such as the 4.6L Ford mod motor). (bore 3.55 x stroke 3.54).
The 5.4L/6.8L engines were truly "long-stroke" tall-deck engines (same 3.55 bore as the 4.6L; stroke at 4.16). Oddly, people often claim the v-10 would "rev" better than the old 460, but the physical b/s ratio clearly favored the old Lima engine.

If I recall, the new 7.3L gas motor is still "oversquare" and not a long-stroke engine. I think I heard that description of the b/s ratio somewhere in one of the press releases. I may be wrong here; just what I recall from the many videos I've watched so far.
Just because it's aimed at mid-rpm torque production, does not mean it's a "long stroke" engine.
I stand corrected I've always considered anything getting over the 3.5 in stroke getting into the long stroke arena, when you build a GM 350 and then a 460 the 460 is a lot longer stroke, I never factored the bore I to it. As far as the 460 revving better than the V10 I've owned 2 of each and no way would a stock 460 would rev better than a stock V10.

Denny

Old 02-22-2019, 12:43 AM
dieselfueladdict
Freshman User
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally Posted by dnewton3

The 400 was another "square" engine. Had more stroke length than the 460.
4 inch bore, 4 inch stroke.

Old 02-22-2019, 06:19 AM
dnewton3
Elder User
Received 14 Likes on 13 Posts
Originally Posted by rvpuller
I stand corrected I've always considered anything getting over the 3.5 in stroke getting into the long stroke arena, when you build a GM 350 and then a 460 the 460 is a lot longer stroke, I never factored the bore I to it. As far as the 460 revving better than the V10 I've owned 2 of each and no way would a stock 460 would rev better than a stock V10.

Denny
Obviously this would depend upon what we speak to for the 460 engine .... We once had an old factory-stock 1971 Lincoln Continental with a 460 4bbl with 10.5:1 CR (made back in the day when fuel was leaded and "premium" high-octane fuel was commonly available and pink colored). That motor would RUN! But the 460's that went into the trucks in the 1980s and early 1990s were dogs. They would not rev well simply because of anemic heads and carbs (or low volume injectors) and weak cams. So yeah, it would depend upon what we're directly comparing.

I was speaking more to the forces on the crank journals and rods and such. The 5.4L/6.8L mod motors are very undersquare (3.55 x 4.16), and will rev up, but it's very stressful on these engines to hold them at high rpm for long periods. Not that they won't do it, but it's high stress on the cranks and wrist pins. Whereas a 460 with the right cam can rev high all day long, because of it's over-square design. The old 429, even more so, because it's got the same bore of the old 460 and actually less stroke. The 429s can sing all day long above 5500rpm if properly built and never have any major issues. The 5.4L/6.8L engines will have extremely high average piston speed if you rev them up; that's hard on the rotating assy and associated components. A 460 revving to 5000 rpm will fare better than a 5.4L revving to 5000 rpm in the long term. You just cannot cheat the laws of physics. I would agree that the mod motors did rev up better than some of the 460 engines, but that was due to pathetic flow rates in the heads and cams, not the bore/stoke relationship.

This also gets into the "n" factor (ratio of the rod length to stroke). Here's a decent description of the info from a guy who apparently is a Chrysler fan (not starting a brand war here; just illuminating good info on his website)
Connecting Rod vs. Stroke Analysis: panic Tech Paper No. 1
You'll note that the 460 Ford motor has a nearly ideal 1.75:1 n-value.

Here's some info on the importance of the n-value in terms of cylinder volumetric efficiency:
Stroke-to-Bore Ratio: A Key to Engine Efficiency - Achates

So, the point of the new 7.3L gas motor from Ford is that they wanted to balance the customer needs (longevity and broad torque and efficiency) into their new design. I've not seen the dets yet, but I suspect it's a slightly oversquare design with a good n-value that will promote a strong torque curve over a low yet wide rpm band, and yet also give decent economy of operation. Time will tell.

Old 02-22-2019, 08:55 AM
rvpuller
Well I guess I grew up in a different time because we never talked about square or under square we just knew that a shorter stroke motor screamed and a longer didn't and big bore was king but back in the 50s and 60s we didn't have the internet or even much for shop manuals. I'm to old to change to modern definitions so I'll just use longer and shorter when it talking about stroke

Denny

Old 06-20-2019, 08:26 AM
baddad457
Post Fiend
Received 14 Likes on 14 Posts
Originally Posted by tjc transport
the 7.3 is a diesel ya silly wabbit!!!
Naw, 7.3 is a stroked 390-----------445 cubes.

Old 06-20-2019, 03:57 PM
tjc transport
i ain't rite
Received 3,110 Likes on 2,170 Posts
except the 7.3 is 444 cubic inches, not 445.

Quick Reply: Welcome to the 7.3L Gasoline V8 Engine Forum