Sponsored by: DP Tuner

Need new door handle - Truck broken into

Search this Thread

Old 01-21-2019, 06:54 PM
B-Rad88
Tuned
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Need new door handle - Truck broken into

So while I was inside the gym today, somebody broke into my truck. They cracked the plastic handle assembly, and, stole my gun. I keep my gun in my center console when I go into the gym because I don't trust the locker rooms in the gym that much because of how many times I hear of people getting their stuff stolen out of them. Obviously, I find some hilarity in this because what I did to try and avoid it getting stolen, led to it being stolen.

I didn't have it registered, nor would I ever register any firearm I own. I do however, have all the information for the gun from when I bought it many years ago, as well as pictures. I reported it, they dusted my door all around for finger prints, as well as my tuner, which they didn't take but moved. They also didn't take my aeroforce either, thankfully. So hopefully they get a hit on the fingerprints, and the person tries to pawn it, so I can get it back, and press charges.

But I will need a new door handle. It still functions, but it's cracked. I would like something not cheap and fall apart. Probably have to do all of the so they will match and not have one good clean one. I'm picky like that. Any suggestions? Truck is in signature.

Old 01-21-2019, 06:59 PM
MoBill122
Papa Smurf
Received 136 Likes on 77 Posts
1A Auto... numerous others on eBay.... Not that hard to DIY, but have 6 pack for when you finish.... to calm your nerves...

Old 01-21-2019, 07:06 PM
B-Rad88
Tuned
Originally Posted by MoBill122
1A Auto... numerous others on eBay.... Not that hard to DIY, but have 6 pack for when you finish.... to calm your nerves...
I'm definitely not a fan of a lot of 1A auto's stuff. Some of it is good, but some of it has really been low quality for me in the past. I was wondering if anybody had some good aftermarket ones. Maybe light up ones or something different because I'm going to replace probably all 4 now.

Old 01-21-2019, 07:19 PM
Colorado350
Postmaster
Received 119 Likes on 84 Posts
Most auto parts stores should have a replacement. Regarding the gun, I carry everywhere including the gym, most thefts at the gym occur because people don’t put a lock on their locker. I carry my firearm in with me put it in the locker and put a lock on that locker. The other thing I would suggest is a lock box or in the future put it behind the seat at least someplace where they have to work to find it. A buddy puts a trigger guard on his so even if they did steal it they would necessarily be able to use it or pawn it without breaking that lock off.

Old 01-21-2019, 07:32 PM
bigb56
Cargo Master

Received 219 Likes on 149 Posts
I'm so sick of thieves...it's been really bad lately here in AZ. They watch you drive up and park and they know they have some time. Sometimes when I drive the Superduty to Home Depot I hang out by the door for a few to see if any low lifes approach the truck. Our neighborhood has been getting hit hard with burglaries and petty theft, neighbor caught a guy trying to make off with an extension ladder he hopped the backyard wall and just helped himself in broad daylight. Makes me want to catch them and beat the tar out of them. The cops don't even show up, they're too busy with the gangs. We're on our own.

Old 01-21-2019, 07:34 PM
SRBF150
Laughing Gas
Received 33 Likes on 21 Posts
I'd just order an OEM one personally.

As to the security thing, I have a lock box tethered with steel cable to the front seat frame and tuck it under the middle seat in my truck. Also, I drilled through the hinge portion of the rear seat and install a padlock on that so I can store rifles back there and make it pretty difficult to access by locking the seat from folding forward.

Old 01-21-2019, 07:38 PM
B-Rad88
Tuned
Originally Posted by bigb56
I'm so sick of thieves...it's been really bad lately here in AZ. They watch you drive up and park and they know they have some time. Sometimes when I drive the Superduty to Home Depot I hang out by the door for a few to see if any low lifes approach the truck. Our neighborhood has been getting hit hard with burglaries and petty theft, neighbor caught a guy trying to make off with an extension ladder he hopped the backyard wall and just helped himself in broad daylight. Makes me want to catch them and beat the tar out of them. The cops don't even show up, they're too busy with the gangs. We're on our own.
It's interesting you say that, because my gym is only about 5 minutes down the street from my house. And our area is currently experiencing exactly what you mentioned. Vechiles have been stolen, and broken into and a few garages. I live in North East Mesa, Red Mountain Ranch/Las Sendas area. Lots of people are starting to get security systems. I have a few guns at home at night when I go to bed, I have ready because one house caught some of the thieves, and he was flaunting a pistol in the security footage. My girlfriend is feeling kind of nervous as well, especially after what happened to my truck today. I'm about read to start sleeping in my truck and then surprise them.

Old 01-21-2019, 07:40 PM
B-Rad88
Tuned
Originally Posted by Colorado350
Most auto parts stores should have a replacement. Regarding the gun, I carry everywhere including the gym, most thefts at the gym occur because people don’t put a lock on their locker. I carry my firearm in with me put it in the locker and put a lock on that locker. The other thing I would suggest is a lock box or in the future put it behind the seat at least someplace where they have to work to find it. A buddy puts a trigger guard on his so even if they did steal it they would necessarily be able to use it or pawn it without breaking that lock off.
As do I normally, but I have heard a lot of horror stories about stuff getting stolen in gym lockers rooms, locked or not. Nothing at my gym yet, but i have heard enough to make me nervous. I have a key fob for my truck from factory that I assumed has a factory alarm system. If that's true, it doesn't go off when somebody prys back the plastic on the door handle and breaks the lock cylinder.

Old 01-21-2019, 07:44 PM
B-Rad88
Tuned
Originally Posted by SRBF150
I'd just order an OEM one personally.

As to the security thing, I have a lock box tethered with steel cable to the front seat frame and tuck it under the middle seat in my truck. Also, I drilled through the hinge portion of the rear seat and install a padlock on that so I can store rifles back there and make it pretty difficult to access by locking the seat from folding forward.
Damn I like that idea. I may rig something up eventually. I was more concerned with the notion somebody could use my gun in a crime, ditch it, the cops find it, then I'm getting called because my fingerprints are on file from the military. I gave the serial number, date of purchase, pictures, everything I could think of to help avoid me being in trouble going forward. They dusted and lifted prints off 3 different parts of my door, and then off my tuner. I haven't touched my tuner in 2 months, and it was next to where I put my gun in my center console.

Obviously, I'm not going to leave any guns in my center console anymore. I guess part of this was me being careless thinking I would be ok to leave it in my center console whith my truck locked. Sucks I had to learn the hard way.

Old 01-21-2019, 07:57 PM
Colorado350
Postmaster
Originally Posted by B-Rad88
Damn I like that idea. I may rig something up eventually. I was more concerned with the notion somebody could use my gun in a crime, ditch it, the cops find it, then I'm getting called because my fingerprints are on file from the military. I gave the serial number, date of purchase, pictures, everything I could think of to help avoid me being in trouble going forward. They dusted and lifted prints off 3 different parts of my door, and then off my tuner. I haven't touched my tuner in 2 months, and it was next to where I put my gun in my center console.

Obviously, I'm not going to leave any guns in my center console anymore. I guess part of this was me being careless thinking I would be ok to leave it in my center console whith my truck locked. Sucks I had to learn the hard way.
I have this XX Large version in the truck, it’s mounted behind the back seat and I put the emergency blanket over it. I like this box for several reasons, it unhooks from the cable easily which makes putting my firearm in it very easy, it meets TSA requirements too. I look at it from 2 directions;1) secures firearm 2) Conceals the secured firearm, getting the back seat to move forward is not easy if you don’t know how. Now obviously this box is not about quick accessibility and the only time the firearm is secured is if I can’t carry it, Post Office etc. If a local business doesn’t support my 2nd Amendment right, I don’t support them....think Starbucks, Panera etc.

Amazon Amazon

Old 01-21-2019, 08:09 PM
B-Rad88
Tuned

I have this XX Large version in the truck, it’s mounted behind the back seat and I put the emergency blanket over it. I look at it from 2 directions;1) secures firearm 2) Conceals the secured firearm, getting the back seat to move forward is not easy if you don’t know how. Now obviously this box is not about quick accessibility and the only time the firearm is secured is if I can’t carry it, Post Office etc. If a local business doesn’t support my 2nd Amendment right, I don’t support them....think Starbucks, Panera etc.

https://www.amazon.com/SnapSafe-SNP7...CN5&th=1&psc=1
Well I don't really like to publically explain how/where/when I carry, as to not incriminate myself, but for years since I started working out, I have been using the center console and locking my trucks. There's some questionable people in gyms, and with the high amounts of theft going on inside them, I figured I was statistically safer by not bringing it in. Sounds almost illogical when you say that out loud (being less safe with it in the gym), but I was only looking at it from a theft point of view. And then, I get it stolen out of my truck anyways. I filed a report with the gym and they said somebody from their corporate office will be contacting me. So I will see how far nicely suggesting maybe some security cameras would be beneficial (it's a somewhat major chain, with gyms all over Phoenix and they have some in other states). So I'm surprised they had no cameras.

Old 01-21-2019, 08:26 PM
Colorado350
Postmaster
Originally Posted by B-Rad88
Well I don't really like to publically explain how/where/when I carry, as to not incriminate myself, but for years since I started working out, I have been using the center console and locking my trucks. There's some questionable people in gyms, and with the high amounts of theft going on inside them, I figured I was statistically safer by not bringing it in. Sounds almost illogical when you say that out loud (being less safe with it in the gym), but I was only looking at it from a theft point of view. And then, I get it stolen out of my truck anyways. I filed a report with the gym and they said somebody from their corporate office will be contacting me. So I will see how far nicely suggesting maybe some security cameras would be beneficial (it's a somewhat major chain, with gyms all over Phoenix and they have some in other states). So I'm surprised they had no cameras.
I park by local businesses that have cameras, Cell phone store that’s also in the center of foot traffic. The point is the cameras would not have stop them from breaking into your truck or taking your gun. And me telling you where I secured my firearm doesn’t make it any less secure. The gym locker room has a ton of foot traffic, breaking into a locker is not easy, quiet or quick.

Old 01-21-2019, 08:34 PM
B-Rad88
Tuned

I park by local businesses that have cameras, Cell phone store that’s also in the center of foot traffic. The point is the cameras would not have stop them from breaking into your truck or taking your gun. And me telling you where I secured my firearm doesn’t make it any less secure. The gym locker room has a ton of foot traffic, breaking into a locker is not easy, quiet or quick.
Yeah I thought the same thing until I started hearing about people breaking into lockers at gyms. I usually only see one or 2 people when I'm in there changing and then when I leave, and that's usually people going into or getting out of the shower.

I parked my truck pretty much at the opposite side of the parking lot from my gym, where the entrance to the parking lot is. My truck is the first thing you'd see. The cop was like whoever did it has some ***** because you know people were coming and going right by your truck from the gym and the CVS in the lot, and still didn't care.

Old 01-21-2019, 09:35 PM
beef tits
Laughing Gas
I don't understand why people feel the need to carry guns everywhere. The world really isn't as bad as the TV wants everyone to think. Hopefully whatever dip**** got ahold of it doesn't use it for anything. You're in AZ so probably not the case, but in a lot of state, the liability of that firearm would still be on you, after it got stolen.

Not that you do, but I just thought about how I laugh when I see people with gun or gun related stickers on their vehicles ... WTF you are just asking to get broken into?

Old 01-21-2019, 09:56 PM
Colorado350
Postmaster
Originally Posted by beef ****
I don't understand why people feel the need to carry guns everywhere. The world really isn't as bad as the TV wants everyone to think. Hopefully whatever dip**** got ahold of it doesn't use it for anything. You're in AZ so probably not the case, but in a lot of state, the liability of that firearm would still be on you, after it got stolen.

Not that you do, but I just thought about how I laugh when I see people with gun or gun related stickers on their vehicles ... WTF you are just asking to get broken into?
With respect, if you don’t want to carry …DON’T! Simplified, I provide security for individuals that have the same position as you but yet they pay us to carry firearms and stand in front of them if/when bad people decide to harm them. . I won’t get into an argument over this, My signature pretty much sums it up...

Quick Reply: Need new door handle - Truck broken into