Sponsored by: DP Tuner

New Batteries... UGH...$$$$$

Search this Thread

Old 01-15-2019, 10:12 AM
afonda
Laughing Gas
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
New Batteries... UGH...$$$$$

Just had to buy new batteries (yes both).. I went with the Advance Auto Parts AGM / Group 65 Platinum. With their 25% off coupon at Xmas it was right around $400 total. Lots of cranking power.

There are 3 battery manufacturers in the US if i recall... not sure which one makes their brand... but so far it seems to be performing well.

Old 01-15-2019, 10:46 AM
andym
Post Fiend
Received 27 Likes on 27 Posts
I bought mine at wal-mart and spent $250 for both.

Old 01-15-2019, 11:10 AM
beef tits
Laughing Gas
Nothing on these trucks is cheap. This should be a huge bulletin post #1 at all times on this forum clearly letting every potential buyer know how many thousands of dollars it can cost to fix what would be relatively cheap repairs on other vehicles.

Yes, buying two batteries sucks. However, $400 is a CHEAP repair bill on a heavy duty truck.

F250_
Hotshot
Received 201 Likes on 108 Posts
I ran Optima Redtops for 10 years (two sets), but see no benefit from having had them since I get similar life from the cheaper batteries. Theoretically, I would love to use the pure lead technology, but I'm not forking out over $250 each when I do not plan to keep the truck that long. So, I just got 2 Interstates from Costco for about $210 (total for both)

beef tits
Laughing Gas
derp double phone post

Old 01-15-2019, 11:14 AM
afonda
Laughing Gas
Wow...

Originally Posted by F250_
I just got 2 Interstates from Costco for about $210 (total for both)
How long do you think they will last? Thats a good price.

I was looking for longevity in my purchase so I went a bit on the high side.

4wheel parts has some good but expensive bats too.

Andy

Old 01-15-2019, 11:41 AM
Bently_Coop
Lead Driver
Received 65 Likes on 55 Posts
Costco Interstate battery's have a 42 month warranty too.

Old 01-15-2019, 11:47 AM
liquidlounge
Tuned
Received 24 Likes on 10 Posts
Next time my batteries start going bad, I am going to try a couple of deep cycle marine batteries. Ever since I went to a deep cycle as a starting battery in my boat, all of my battery replacement issues have vanished. For my trial, I will just buy 1 and take the other from the boat and see how it works. I think when you use these trucks sporadically its really hard on the starting type batteries discharging all the time which is really what ruins them. If a deep cycle happens to run down, its life expectancy is hardly diminished.

Old 01-15-2019, 12:03 PM
beef tits
Laughing Gas
Originally Posted by liquidlounge
Next time my batteries start going bad, I am going to try a couple of deep cycle marine batteries. Ever since I went to a deep cycle as a starting battery in my boat, all of my battery replacement issues have vanished. For my trial, I will just buy 1 and take the other from the boat and see how it works. I think when you use these trucks sporadically its really hard on the starting type batteries discharging all the time which is really what ruins them. If a deep cycle happens to run down, its life expectancy is hardly diminished.
Marine starting batteries and deep cycle batteries aren’t really the same thing. And neither are the same as a starting battery you’d use in an auto. RVs have seperate starting batteries and cabin-power batteries for good reason.

Marine starters might work okay in the South or someplace warm but you might miss the higher CCAs in a colder climate. You don’t take a boat out when the lake is frozen

Your best bet is to ensure that your wiring is in good shape, glow plugs and all starting mechanism are tip-top and that you don’t have one battery that is older than the other. Both must be replaced at the same time. Also, injector wear and oil type play a big role in how well these trucks start in cold weather.

Basically, you can buy whatever batteries you want but if your truck doesnt start up after like 2 seconds of cranking, the battery probably isn’t your only problem.

Old 01-15-2019, 12:09 PM
F250_
Hotshot
Received 201 Likes on 108 Posts
I expect to get at least 4 years from them, but like I said, I don't plan on keeping the truck that long. Just checked again... price is $95 each, plus tax.

Old 01-15-2019, 12:36 PM
liquidlounge
Tuned
Received 24 Likes on 10 Posts
Originally Posted by beef ****

Marine starting batteries and deep cycle batteries aren’t really the same thing. And neither are the same as a starting battery you’d use in an auto. RVs have seperate starting batteries and cabin-power batteries for good reason.

Marine starters might work okay in the South or someplace warm but you might miss the higher CCAs in a colder climate. You don’t take a boat out when the lake is frozen

Your best bet is to ensure that your wiring is in good shape, glow plugs and all starting mechanism are tip-top and that you don’t have one battery that is older than the other. Both must be replaced at the same time. Also, injector wear and oil type play a big role in how well these trucks start in cold weather.

Basically, you can buy whatever batteries you want but if your truck doesnt start up after like 2 seconds of cranking, the battery probably isn’t your only problem.
Actually, I've heard the same points when using the deep cycle for my boat and I've just quit debating it. That battery just sits and sits and sits and then cranks up a 502ci motor every time for years - plays a nice stereo for hours and starts right back up. I will try the same with the truck and report back when I do.

Old 01-15-2019, 01:12 PM
Tedster9
Post Fiend
Received 66 Likes on 65 Posts
Originally Posted by afonda
How long do you think they will last? Thats a good price.

I was looking for longevity in my purchase so I went a bit on the high side.

4wheel parts has some good but expensive bats too.

Andy
I see this a lot on the battery threads, everybody wants to know what battery is good, gooder, better or bestest but what always seems to be missing from the coversation is battery chargers. If maximum service life is the goal, and it should be considering the cost of replacement, then a good external battery charger is the way to go. It will pay for itself quickly.

Old 01-15-2019, 01:43 PM
Walleye Hunter
Hotshot
Received 888 Likes on 625 Posts
I can't figure it out but I just have great luck with batteries and I don't do anything special. Some are used daily, some monthly but I get 5 to 10 years out of regular old lead acid batteries.My last set were the Costo's mentioned above out the door for less than $200 for the pair, I took the old ones in with me to avoid a core charge.

I may be off on this one but...my understanding is that marine deep cycle batteries won't provide the CA that others will, they let the juice out slower and they take longer to charge. I also believe that they are not damaged by repetitive deep discharges.

Old 01-15-2019, 02:38 PM
Rose88racing
Senior User
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Also consider a high torque starter....Seems to start quicker for me than stock.

Old 01-15-2019, 02:56 PM
Colorado350
Postmaster
Received 119 Likes on 84 Posts
I went with Sears Diehard Platinums they were slightly over $200 a piece. And because of the cost of these batteries I installed a on board battery tender. Before I installed the tender the volt meter I installed read around 12.4 +/- in the cab at the batteries they were 12.6V. After the smart tender went to work the the voltage in the cab reads 12.8-12.9V. When the starter goes I’ll install a Denso but for now the truck spins over like you have the battery charger on start engine.

NOCO Genius GENM2 8 Amp 2-Bank Waterproof Smart On-Board Battery Charger
Amazon Amazon

Quick Reply: New Batteries... UGH...$$$$$