1999 to 2016 Super Duty 1999 to 2016 Ford F250, F350, F450 and F550 Super Duty with diesel V8 and gas V8 and V10 engines
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Ford Dealer advised not to service transmission

Search this Thread

Old 12-06-2018, 10:07 AM
chandler789
New User
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Ford Dealer advised not to service transmission

I just dropped off my 2011 F250 6.7L with a local ford dealer for a transmission fluid flush and coolant flush. The service adviser told me they recommended not flushing the transmission since it has high millage (281k). Does that make sense to anyone here?

Old 12-06-2018, 12:26 PM
saratoga2011
More Turbo
Received 64 Likes on 45 Posts
No one "flushes" transmissions, they simply do a fluid exchange by letting the trans itself pump old fluid out and draw new fluid in when they disconnect the cooler lines and install their BG or whatever flavor machine in line.

That said, you can't do an exchange on a 6R140 without a heated exchange machine due to the fact that the trans has an internal thermostat to control cooler flow and very few dealers even have the heated machine.

If it were me, drop the pan, change the filter and refill with fluid.

Old 12-06-2018, 12:58 PM
'65Ford
Cargo Master
Received 253 Likes on 183 Posts
Has the tranny ever been "flushed"? Some folks feel that flushing a high mileage tranny that's never been flushed will knock internal crud loose resulting in a leaky and/or non-functioning tranny. The customer immediately blames the shop for causing the tranny to stop working.

I agree with drain/refill yourself. Repeat in a week or two.

Old 12-06-2018, 01:10 PM
redford
Received 1,565 Likes on 913 Posts
In my opinion, that is like saying that you shouldn't change your engine oil because your engine is dirty.

Change the fluid. You have filters to deal with any trash.

Old 12-06-2018, 01:52 PM
jws24
Senior User
I have always had transmission fluid AND filter always changed.

Some have said if it has never been changed, then you should not change it.

My old work van I used to have, had over 100K miles when I bought it. Took it to local shop and had filter and fluid changed right after buying it.

My trucks I always do before each 50K on mileage.

Old 12-06-2018, 03:18 PM
Jwoliver
Freshman User
Originally Posted by chandler789
I just dropped off my 2011 F250 6.7L with a local ford dealer for a transmission fluid flush and coolant flush. The service adviser told me they recommended not flushing the transmission since it has high millage (281k). Does that make sense to anyone here?
The basis of this philosophy is that old dirty transmission fluid when not changed eventually becomes severely impregnated with contaminates, mainly metal particles. Transmission fluid operating inside of a transmission is essentially hydraulic fluid. over time the metal particles inside the fluid act as sandpaper to the components it travels through effectively boring out passages in the transmission. New, "more viscous" fluid will not act the same way in a transmission that fall into this category(250k without a change). You could potentially loose pressure and not be able to activate the solenoids and accumulators effectively. Not sure if this applies to you or not but that is where the statement comes from.

Old 12-06-2018, 06:12 PM
Chuck's First Ford
Postmaster
Received 15 Likes on 15 Posts
my opinion...

if damage is already done.... ... its done

but if limited issues... put in fresh.. might help in the long run..

I would change.. then change again in a few months..

if it fails.. it was doomed before you started. and the change did little to help it along

the only transmission filters I have seen "CLOGGED" were ones with destroyed clutches... or pumps.. not small bits of trash..

the do not change fluid.. as your dealer said.. is the same with chrome muffler bearings and 3,000 mile oil changes...
that is SO 1960......... and need to be put to bed.. 6 feet under bed...

Old 12-06-2018, 06:44 PM
droldsmorland
Posting Guru
Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts
If the trans has had regular fluid filter changes at the recommended intervals you are ok. If not IMO its a crap shoot.

Each and every time I have changed trans fluid in a high mileage trans with an unknown service history I have regretted it. It ****zt the bed within 1000K.
Now keep in mind this was with analog transmissions(as they should still be) in my youth with muscle cars that took a severe beating which they deserved.
The theory was two-fold:
One, the solids floating around in the fluid acted as a cushion/lubricant for the clutch packs in a trans at the end of its expected service life. Remove the cushion and the almost expired clutches and steels will fail.
Two, the replacement trans fluid was a newer revision of the factory accepted replacement fluid. Which means all the good stuff was removed by big brother to save the spotted owl and the fluid no longer has the proper lubricity spec'ed for the OEM clutch pack. This causes accelerated clutch pack wear to a trans which again is at its service limit.
You make the decision.
The stealership made this decision based on past history. So I don't imagine I'm tossin uric acid into a fan...

Drop the fluid in a clean pan. Drop the pan and look at how much smuckis is in the pan and on the magnet. If its very heavy just put the pan back on and dump the used fluid back in and save your coins for a rebuild. Cuz at ~300K your at that limit IMO...(gasket is reusable if carefully removed)

Note there is zero scientific data to support my theory only 40 years of grease under my fingernails.

Old 12-06-2018, 07:39 PM
82_F100_300Six
Cargo Master
Received 16 Likes on 11 Posts
yeah i dont get it
drop pan
drain fluid
change filter
put new fluid in

Old 12-06-2018, 09:23 PM
Mark Kovalsky
Fleet Owner

Received 1,576 Likes on 1,054 Posts
Not to me.
Originally Posted by '65Ford
Has the tranny ever been "flushed"? Some folks feel that flushing a high mileage tranny that's never been flushed will knock internal crud loose resulting in a leaky and/or non-functioning tranny. The customer immediately blames the shop for causing the tranny to stop working.
There is a tiny grain of truth to this.

Many people ignore the transmission until a problem develops. Then they realize that they have never serviced the trans so they do that. And then the trans fails. It failed because it was ignored until something went wrong. New fluid didn't fix the broken part and it failed. If the fluid hadn't been changed it would have failed, too.
Originally Posted by jws24
Some have said if it has never been changed, then you should not change it.
They are wrong.
Originally Posted by Jwoliver
The basis of this philosophy is that old dirty transmission fluid when not changed eventually becomes severely impregnated with contaminates, mainly metal particles. Transmission fluid operating inside of a transmission is essentially hydraulic fluid. over time the metal particles inside the fluid act as sandpaper to the components it travels through effectively boring out passages in the transmission. New, "more viscous" fluid will not act the same way in a transmission that fall into this category(250k without a change). You could potentially loose pressure and not be able to activate the solenoids and accumulators effectively. Not sure if this applies to you or not but that is where the statement comes from.
This is totally wrong. Particles in the fluid are the major cause of solenoids sticking.

New fluid can only help a transmission, not hurt it.
Originally Posted by Chuck's First Ford
my opinion...

if damage is already done.... ... its done

but if limited issues... put in fresh.. might help in the long run..

I would change.. then change again in a few months..

if it fails.. it was doomed before you started. and the change did little to help it along

the only transmission filters I have seen "CLOGGED" were ones with destroyed clutches... or pumps.. not small bits of trash..

the do not change fluid.. as your dealer said.. is the same with chrome muffler bearings and 3,000 mile oil changes...
that is SO 1960......... and need to be put to bed.. 6 feet under bed...
I agree.
Originally Posted by droldsmorland
One, the solids floating around in the fluid acted as a cushion/lubricant for the clutch packs in a trans at the end of its expected service life. Remove the cushion and the almost expired clutches and steels will fail.
Bull.
Originally Posted by droldsmorland
Note there is zero scientific data to support my theory only 40 years of grease under my fingernails.
I have at least that much experience, I also owned and operated an auto repair shop for a while. I changed fluid on older transmissions that my techs told me were going to fail from that. They were wrong. I never had a trans fail after a fluid change.

Old 12-07-2018, 09:53 AM
Chuck's First Ford
Postmaster
Received 15 Likes on 15 Posts
Originally Posted by Mark Kovalsky
Not to me.

There is a tiny grain of truth to this.

Many people ignore the transmission until a problem develops. Then they realize that they have never serviced the trans so they do that. And then the trans fails. It failed because it was ignored until something went wrong. New fluid didn't fix the broken part and it failed. If the fluid hadn't been changed it would have failed, too.
They are wrong.

This is totally wrong. Particles in the fluid are the major cause of solenoids sticking.

New fluid can only help a transmission, not hurt it.

I agree.

Bull.

I have at least that much experience, I also owned and operated an auto repair shop for a while. I changed fluid on older transmissions that my techs told me were going to fail from that. They were wrong. I never had a trans fail after a fluid change.
Thank you Sir, I value your advice and opinion.
retired auto mechanic.. 50 years..

Old 12-07-2018, 09:59 AM
jws24
Senior User
I agree Mark!!

Old 12-07-2018, 10:12 AM
speakerfritz
Hotshot
Received 994 Likes on 764 Posts
this is a urban legend which , like all legends , has some cultural foundations.

old transmissions have very work friction plates and the friction particles in the fluid (which remains due to window screen type of filters) provides some added friction. on these old worn out trannies...once you change the fluid and loose the friction plate particles that is in the fluid...the transmission slips.

Old 12-07-2018, 10:26 AM
Jwoliver
Freshman User
"This is totally wrong. Particles in the fluid are the major cause of solenoids sticking."

That's exactly what I said.

I don't care about people telling me I'm wrong but don't follow that up by essentially quoting me. It's a philosophy that exist in the automotive world and it's existence doesn't make it true but it does exist. The point of my post was to explain the origins of the statement. It's up to you whether you believe it or not.

Old 12-07-2018, 10:35 AM
johnfist
More Turbo
Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
It's unfortunate when a dealer doesn't even have proper knowledge of the hardware they're working on. All else fails, follow your manual for service reqs. At least those things were somewhat written by legitimate engineers.

Quick Reply: Ford Dealer advised not to service transmission