E4od problems

Search this Thread

Old 12-02-2018, 07:01 AM
Sam Ve
Mountain Pass
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
E4od problems

Hey guy! I know I haven't posted in a long time and it's usually because if I've got any problems I can find the answers that have been posted already ya'll do a great job
Now, a few months ago I bought a 93 F-59 with a 7.3 and a E4od transmission. It's a completely different critter than my 96 powerstroke with the 5 speed so I'm still learning about it
Anyway, the transmission suddenly decided to act stupid on me, came out of Lowe's jumped in cranked it and there's no drive Wants to pull but doesn't. Checked the fluid, looks good, not burnt and full Crank it back up and discover I can get it to go by manually shifting I think it maybe in limp mode not 100% sure about that. It'll still get to 55-60 without high rpms
​​​​​​I put code reader on it yesterday only code 10 and 11 and no flashing o/d light So I'm thinking perhaps the computer can't read if there's an issue in the output side, that's just a guess, so I decided to take the readings at the connector at the transmission When I pulled the connector apart it was soaked in fluid so I ordered a new coil pack which will take about a week to get
In the meantime I've been reading a lot of other threads about this and everyone reported having codes and /or flashing o/d light. I don't have either
My question is do you think I've found the problem or do I need to keep looking for another problem too? Could the fluid had been shorting the connector out tricking the computer maybe ? I don't know, just seems odd and I'm wondering if I'm missing something
Thanks for your advice guys

Old 12-02-2018, 07:44 AM
Mark Kovalsky
Fleet Owner

Received 1,599 Likes on 1,072 Posts
Originally Posted by Sam Ve
there's no drive Wants to pull but doesn't.
I don't understand this. How do you know it wants to pull? Did it tell you that it wanted to? Did it flash a message? Do you mean it did move, but it took a lot of go pedal and then moved very, very slowly?

That would indicate that the trans is in fourth gear. If it loses power to the solenoid body (what you called the coil pack) the trans will only have fourth gear.

I can get it to go by manually shifting I think it maybe in limp mode not 100% sure about that. It'll still get to 55-60 without high rpms
Those seem to confirm that there is no power to the solenoid body. You should check the fuse that supplies power to the transmission. I'll bet it's blown. And sorry, I don't have a diagram to tell you which fuse to look at.

Old 12-02-2018, 07:49 AM
FORDF250HDXLT
Post Fiend
Received 37 Likes on 31 Posts
Yeah,either the fuse or the relay.Check your owners manual for their locations.Probably there's a power distribution box under the hood like on the pickups but I dunno either.Should be fairly easy to find.

Curious,what type of cab sits on the chassis,is it like a box van/bread truck type style vehicle or?

Old 12-02-2018, 07:55 AM
Sam Ve
Mountain Pass
Thanks Mark ,I will check the fuses too then ,possibly it did get blown with the fluid in the connector.
What I meant by it wants to go is when I give it some pedal to go it does tend to move forward but not very well maybe a few inches I am not giving it a ton of pedal to force it to go In my experience with most things when you force something bad things tend to happen

Also I didn't realize until after I made this post that I'm listed as a newbie that's not exactly correct
I guess I joined about 6 years ago when I got the 96 F-350 and I had posted quite a bit then but didn't for awhile and got deleted guess from not being active
I was going to reply to a thread a good while back and discovered my account was deleted so had it reactivated but didn't post after that
So, that's the rest of the story

Old 12-02-2018, 08:12 AM
Sam Ve
Mountain Pass
Originally Posted by FORDF250HDXLT
Yeah,either the fuse or the relay.Check your owners manual for their locations.Probably there's a power distribution box under the hood like on the pickups but I dunno either.Should be fairly easy to find.

Curious,what type of cab sits on the chassis,is it like a box van/bread truck type style vehicle or?
Yea like a ups truck With lift gate and roll up door
The fuses are in the cab next to the left foot in an aluminum box with a door
Wondering, would a blown fuse cause the computer to report everything is OK and not give any fault codes ?
Thanks for your reply

Old 12-02-2018, 08:26 AM
FORDF250HDXLT
Post Fiend
That sounds handy! There might also be another fuse/relay box somewhere too.On the pickups,the fuse and relay for the trans are under the hood so if you don't find the right ones there,there may be another set.

Old 12-02-2018, 08:35 AM
Sam Ve
Mountain Pass
Originally Posted by FORDF250HDXLT
That sounds handy! There might also be another fuse/relay box somewhere too.On the pickups,the fuse and relay for the trans are under the hood so if you don't find the right ones there,there may be another set.
I've pretty much been all over this truck doing different things so far I haven't found any other fuses Owners manual ? Hmm not sure if I could locate one online or not Ford built the chassis Supreme built the body

Old 12-11-2018, 04:02 AM
Sam Ve
Mountain Pass
My solenoid coil pack arrived yesterday and as soon as the weather permits I'll swap it out ,but I have a question. Is there a gasket for the coil pack or is it just metal to metal ? Like to know if I need to get one before I start if it has one. Oh how many quarts of fluid do I need ?

Old 12-11-2018, 07:42 AM
FORDF250HDXLT
Post Fiend
Did you first test for power at the solenoid plug though? (key in run position) If there's power there,then you know whatever fuse and or relay you did find is ok but if not,then one of them is blown/bad somewhere and you'll need to trace the wires back until you find them.
12v + pin there;

There is a gasket there and generally it doesn't rip but it did on this guy;
https://www.ford-trucks.com/forums/1...ody-*****.html

Old 12-11-2018, 07:48 AM
Sam Ve
Mountain Pass
Ookay, I see I'll have to be very careful when removing the old one as it appears it would be a pain to replace the gasket, I'll keep my fingers crossed .
​​​​​​I haven't checked for blown fuses yet, haven't had time and 4 days of rain hasn't helped Figured I would get this swapped out since it has to be done anyway and go from there .

Old 12-11-2018, 09:12 AM
U9000
Tuned
Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
There is a gasket, but it's a one piece that goes over the entire separator plate, so you can't replace it with just the solenoid body off.

Old 12-11-2018, 05:56 PM
FORDF250HDXLT
Post Fiend
Ookay, I see I'll have to be very careful when removing the old one as it appears it would be a pain to replace the gasket, I'll keep my fingers crossed .
​​​​​​I haven't checked for blown fuses yet, haven't had time and 4 days of rain hasn't helped Figured I would get this swapped out since it has to be done anyway and go from there .
Well actually,no.It doesn't need to be swapped anyway.The odds are actually much higher that there isn't power going to it,than there is with the solenoid pack being bad.It wouldn't be much fun to replace it,only to find out that didn't change anything.This is why we pointed you to ensure it had power.
I do wish I posted the plug for you first but I just figured you were going to make sure you found the power supply and make sure there was power down there before buying a solenoid pack.

Old 12-11-2018, 06:52 PM
Sam Ve
Mountain Pass
The reason I'm saying it needs replacing is because it's leaking fluid at the connector

Old 12-11-2018, 08:07 PM
FORDF250HDXLT
Post Fiend
Oh ok.That could explain the issue for sure.

Old 12-14-2018, 12:16 PM
Sam Ve
Mountain Pass
Well, got the coils replaced, no change Still only 2nd and 4th. After more than 5 miles I got a flashing o/d light. I checked the fuses that I know about, all was good. As soon as I can get a break in work and the rain I'll see what code I have.

Quick Reply: E4od problems