Sponsored by: DP Tuner

Truck stalled out while driving

Search this Thread

Old 11-09-2018, 08:59 AM
smithrock
Senior User
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Truck stalled out while driving

2002 F-250 7.3l I was driving my truck the other day, and while driving- it shut off! A little scary when in traffic and your power steering tightens up and you're trying to make to the side of the road!
Could not get it started after- it would crank, but not turn over. I checked fuses- they looked good. Ended up having it towed home. I checked, it appears that it's getting fuel. I did check the starter relay, I pulled it out and tried the fan motor relay- it started for a second- then died. Put the starter relay back in- started for a second-then died. At his point I'm at a loss. Any ideas?

Old 11-09-2018, 09:05 AM
PrescottIce
Elder User
Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts
Check engine light? Any codes?

Old 11-09-2018, 09:07 AM
BillyBob69
Lead Driver

Received 23 Likes on 21 Posts
What kind of reaction are you getting when trying to start?
As in - WTS light working correctly? RPMs bouncing when cranking or no? Any smoke from tailpipe when cranking and what color if so.
With all the cranking, also be sure that your batteries have MORE than enough to crank it over. IIRC the truck requires a min 10.8 volts just to fire the injectors.
When you said it just shut off, my first thought was Fuel bowl heater but you checked fuses so that would of included the 30amp that powers the ECM & heater.
Not likely but an easy check/fix, check ALL connection to and from the batteries. Both ground and power. Clean any and all corrosion you may see. I had a no start issue awhile back and replaced batteries, starter etc. Finally did the cleaing bit and found that the corrosion on the solenoid terminals were causing my no crank.

I am sure others will reply soon with other options. Hang in there.

Old 11-09-2018, 09:14 AM
Sheldon Plankton
Senior User
Originally Posted by smithrock
2002 F-250 7.3l.... I checked, it appears that it's getting fuel.....
Does that mean that you saw fuel in the fuel bowl? The fact that it starts then dies sounds like fuel starvation to me. Can you hear the fuel pump running? Is the filter black and sludgy looking?

From my personal experience, the truth is that if you're not monitoring fuel pressure, you don't really know that the truck is "getting fuel".

Old 11-09-2018, 09:25 AM
smithrock
Senior User
No codes.
Batteries around 11.2 (after all the cranking). I did check those 30amps- all good
Yes, I did see fuel in the bowl- but you are right, I don't actually know if it is getting fuel. I feels like it's not when i try to start it. Frustrating!

Old 11-09-2018, 09:29 AM
BillyBob69
Lead Driver

Received 23 Likes on 21 Posts
Originally Posted by smithrock
No codes.
Batteries around 11.2 (after all the cranking). I did check those 30amps- all good
Yes, I did see fuel in the bowl- but you are right, I don't actually know if it is getting fuel. I feels like it's not when i try to start it. Frustrating!
The injectors are oil driven so dont forget the IPR on the back of the oil pump. I haven't personally seen this issue but I know it seems to be a common one. Tin nut on the back of the IPR being loose.

Old 11-09-2018, 10:20 AM
smithrock
Senior User
Originally Posted by PrescottIce
Check engine light? Any codes?
Originally Posted by BillyBob69
What kind of reaction are you getting when trying to start?
As in - WTS light working correctly? RPMs bouncing when cranking or no? Any smoke from tailpipe when cranking and what color if so.
With all the cranking, also be sure that your batteries have MORE than enough to crank it over. IIRC the truck requires a min 10.8 volts just to fire the injectors.
When you said it just shut off, my first thought was Fuel bowl heater but you checked fuses so that would of included the 30amp that powers the ECM & heater.
Not likely but an easy check/fix, check ALL connection to and from the batteries. Both ground and power. Clean any and all corrosion you may see. I had a no start issue awhile back and replaced batteries, starter etc. Finally did the cleaing bit and found that the corrosion on the solenoid terminals were causing my no crank.

I am sure others will reply soon with other options. Hang in there.
Originally Posted by Sheldon Plankton
Does that mean that you saw fuel in the fuel bowl? The fact that it starts then dies sounds like fuel starvation to me. Can you hear the fuel pump running? Is the filter black and sludgy looking?

From my personal experience, the truth is that if you're not monitoring fuel pressure, you don't really know that the truck is "getting fuel".
Originally Posted by BillyBob69
The injectors are oil driven so dont forget the IPR on the back of the oil pump. I haven't personally seen this issue but I know it seems to be a common one. Tin nut on the back of the IPR being loose.
That tin nut could cause the vehicle to stall when driving? Had no idea! I'll check it when I get home from work.

Old 11-09-2018, 07:41 PM
smithrock
Senior User
So I got home, figured I’d try and start it- it started right up. I did have a trickle charger on the batteries overnight.
I let it run for a min or so in the driveway. Seemed fine. I now have the check engine light. The code is a P1280.

Old 11-11-2018, 01:18 PM
'88 E-350
Fleet Mechanic
Received 30 Likes on 25 Posts
Did it die suddenly like someone turned the key off, or did it loose power and sputter out? What's your fuel level? If it's below 1/4 and the fuel pick-up foot is broken, fairly common, it can suck air. If it sucks air enough to die while driving it can take quite a bit to purge all the air out of the system and get it going again. Even when it starts it might have low power for a while 'till all the air is worked out.

Old 11-12-2018, 08:50 AM
axmrdr
Tuned
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
A bad ipr will act like that. Works when it cools down. Dirty oil caused mine to go out before I found out how important it was to change oil often.

How's the oil level? Low oil will cause a stall.

Broken fuel foot mentioned but it will miss some before dying. Did it sputter?

Old 11-13-2018, 01:22 PM
smithrock
Senior User
Originally Posted by axmrdr
A bad ipr will act like that. Works when it cools down. Dirty oil caused mine to go out before I found out how important it was to change oil often.

How's the oil level? Low oil will cause a stall.

Broken fuel foot mentioned but it will miss some before dying. Did it sputter?
The oil level is fine. maybe a little dirty, but not bad. It does sputter before dying.
I did try and start it again yesterday- it would start for a second- then die. now it's back to not starting. I have that P1280 code- which is the ICP. I'm going to try and look at that sensor after work today.

Old 11-13-2018, 01:59 PM
axmrdr
Tuned
Look for oil on top of the electrical plug of ICP. Tugly has a link in his signature to some great diesel troubleshooting tips.
For the record - My 2002 doesn't show rpms when turning over (when checking CPS)

Old 11-13-2018, 10:15 PM
'88 E-350
Fleet Mechanic
Received 30 Likes on 25 Posts
Fuel level?

Old 11-14-2018, 07:54 AM
smithrock
Senior User
Was able to check it out yesterday- Pulled off the ICP connector to the sensor- she started and ran fine. Plugged back in the connector while running, and within a couple mins sputtered and died. I then tried starting up again - she would start, then sputter and die almost immediately. then unplugged the connector again- she started right up and ran/idle just fine. This leads me to believe I need a new sensor- even though there was no oil on the connector.

Old 11-14-2018, 08:05 AM
axmrdr
Tuned
You're probably right. Oil is just a common occurrence when they go bad. Believe me, if something is electrical it can go bad at any time and without any consistent signs. I've made a career out of broken electrical equipment. With electricity, just when you say it can't happen, it does.

You never answered 88 E-350's fuel level question. I've got a broken foot o my fuel pickup as well. It seems to be fairly common.

Quick Reply: Truck stalled out while driving