2017+ Super Duty The 2017+ Ford F250, F350, F450 and F550 Super Duty Pickup and Chassis Cab

Anyone run Fox 2.0 resi or 2.5 on stock suspension?

Search this Thread

Old 11-07-2018, 08:38 AM
FlyinAg
Senior User
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Anyone run Fox 2.0 resi or 2.5 on stock suspension?

Polling the peanut gallery as the title suggests.

I really don't want to mess with leveling the truck since I do tow, and it's high enough as it is, the dealers here are sticklers with wareanty, etc. Off roading is mostly a means to an end, ie to get somewhere I want to do an activity, except for the occasional joyride. That beign said I still recognize the value and performance of a higher tier rebuildable shock. I built the beauty in the attached pic a long time ago, and miss those babies sorely!

Without a doubt these shocks (fox 2.0 or 2.5) will improve stock ride, but I worry about how much (or little really) travel the stock suspension has. This limits the overall utility of the higher end shocks and makes you wonder if the juice is worth the squeeze. I have talked to Fox and Accutune at length. Fox says don't level and go with 2.5s, Accutune mentioned the low travel concerns I had already been thinking about but didn't want to recommend the level vs not. They did however recommend the 2.5s as well for their ability to control our large trucks.

So who is running high end shocks on the stock springs? Anyone? This is for 2.0 with reservoir and larger.

Old 11-07-2018, 10:40 AM
STIBUILDER
Mountain Pass
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Lots of feedback on the shocks creating better rides on the guys that go with something like a Bilstein already. I think it would be fair to say these bigger body shocks will also help with the ride. I think its just more important when you lift the trucks and start adding wheel and tire combinations that are close to 100lbs a corner you need a shock that can dampen that movement thus calling for something like the Fox 2.0/2.5 and Kings. Stock wheel and tire combo im sure you could get away with something less expensive but once you 35s I think you have to move up to a new shock minimally the fox 2.0's.

Old 11-07-2018, 12:07 PM
Tricon
Logistics Pro
Received 44 Likes on 35 Posts
If you aren't going to be beating it up offroad, I think you'll get by on the 2.0's just fine. I agree with Accutune, you certainly need a 2.5 to control the heavy front end, but if you aren't really getting out of control in the first place (fast offroad, etc.) then the ROI might be a little less going to the bigger shocks.

Personally, I'm always going to buy the best suspension I can spend money on. But I use it too, so I see the ROI in it often.

Old 12-07-2018, 07:27 PM
Dim Sum
Cargo Master
Received 32 Likes on 15 Posts
Tricon,

I've been doing a lot of reading through your posts about shocks. My truck sees very little off road, its a towing truck that is also a daily driver. I had the regular Fox 2.0s on my previous Ram 2500 and I liked them a lot, but am wondering if it makes sense to spring for the adjustable 2.0s with the reservoir.

Ebay has the 10% coupon now and all four shocks come up to about $1200 which is double the regular shock, but if its worth it, I don't mind spending the money to overbuy on a truck that's already overkill anyway! Any thoughts?

Old 12-07-2018, 08:13 PM
Tricon
Logistics Pro
The adjusters are great in the rear for towing, not sure you'd actually adjust them up front that much, the load doesn't change there much at all. I would definitely get the reservoir for towing, those suckers generate a lot of heat towing so the extra oil and longer effective valving helps for sure.

If you're looking to do it economically, get the res up front and the res/adjuster in the rear. Or just the regular res all around. I know a lot of guys that get the adjusters and then never change them...

Old 12-07-2018, 08:42 PM
Dim Sum
Cargo Master
Interesting and purchased that way. I like that idea a bit more and it saves an extra 200 bucks! Now I'll get the fun of installing them once they get here. I hear its not as easy as a standard off the shelf shock when it comes to compressing them.

Did you drill into the frame to mount the reservoirs?

Old 12-07-2018, 09:32 PM
Tricon
Logistics Pro
They are really easy to install, just use a ratchet strap on them to line up the holes. The fronts, I drilled into the frame to mount the reservoirs, you can get the Carli coil top res mount for $70 if you want to skip the drilling.

Old 12-07-2018, 09:37 PM
Dim Sum
Cargo Master
I saw in another thread that commented that there isn't enough clearance with stock tires to mount to the frame.

Plus in Salt country, I'm not so excited about drilling the frame. 70 bucks to avoid rust spots seems okay with me.

Old 12-07-2018, 09:59 PM
Tricon
Logistics Pro
I think you'd be ok with the 2.0, the 2.5 is quite a bit bigger, but, I agree though, spend the $70 and don't worry about it.

Old 12-07-2018, 10:59 PM
FlyinAg
Senior User
I ended up with the 2.0 Reservoir with Adjusters from AccuTune. Very happy so far, and really liked dealing with the AccuTune guys. It's nice having the ability to fine tune their custom tune with the aadjusters. Totally worth it to me. I don't see any issue with clearance netwebe the reservoirs and 285/75r18 on stock suspension and 18x9 offset 18 wheels.

Old 12-07-2018, 11:01 PM
Tricon
Logistics Pro
Sounds like he's keeping the stock +40 wheels, they are really buried in the wheel well.

Old 12-08-2018, 06:49 AM
Dim Sum
Cargo Master
Tricon has it. I'm keeping the stock 20s. I'd hate to get everything torn apart only to find I don't have the clearance. Truck is my daily driver (which I know folks will think is crazy in DC).

Old 12-08-2018, 09:41 AM
FlyinAg
Senior User
Ahh yeah that makes sense. And I would daily drive mine in DC if stationed there as well!

Old 12-08-2018, 01:24 PM
Dim Sum
Cargo Master
I actually found the Carli mount for $60 through Performance Truck Products. I'll take that!

Old 12-10-2018, 12:02 AM
FlyinAg
Senior User
Nice! Let us know how it goes. I have been messing with the compression settings trying to get them dialed in. The compression adjuster is no joke. Big difference from lowest to highest setting.

Quick Reply: Anyone run Fox 2.0 resi or 2.5 on stock suspension?