1999 to 2016 Super Duty 1999 to 2016 Ford F250, F350, F450 and F550 Super Duty with diesel V8 and gas V8 and V10 engines
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

2005 F250 Harley Davidson clearance lights install

Search this Thread

Old 10-11-2018, 12:49 PM
05HD6.Leaker
New User
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
2005 F250 Harley Davidson clearance lights install

Hi guys I’m new to the forum I’ve search the entire form and can’t find the answer I’m looking for so now I am posting here. I’m having a problem as I am installing my clearance lights and I was told when I purchased them that there is a plug in the passenger side kick panel when I pulled up the kick panel there is no open plug . I read on another forum that it said that it could be that it’s being used by the sunroof?
or is it possible that the plug is more behind the glove compartment? Either way I need help as I do not want to start cutting up wires.

Old 10-11-2018, 12:51 PM
05HD6.Leaker
New User
Anybody had this problem ?

Old 10-14-2018, 08:30 PM
05HD6.Leaker
New User
Nobody ???

Old 10-15-2018, 12:51 PM
Burro
Senior User
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Have you tried a youtube search for installation videos? Something like this:

"06 f350 clearance lights installation"

The search brings up a number of hits that sound like they might be helpful.

I know that the upfitter wires can be very difficult to locate. I know they were in my truck. So whatever you are looking for may still be there, but hard to find.

The moonroof theory sounds a bit strange to me. The moonroof needs a permanent +12V, while the clearance lights need to operate along with all the other lights. They could use different pins of the same plug, I guess.

Old 10-15-2018, 01:01 PM
05HD6.Leaker
New User
Originally Posted by Burro
Have you tried a youtube search for installation videos? Something like this:

"06 f350 clearance lights installation"

The search brings up a number of hits that sound like they might be helpful.

I know that the upfitter wires can be very difficult to locate. I know they were in my truck. So whatever you are looking for may still be there, but hard to find.

The moonroof theory sounds a bit strange to me. The moonroof needs a permanent +12V, while the clearance lights need to operate along with all the other lights. They could use different pins of the same plug, I guess.

Yes I’ve searched all over YouTube and all forums I can find I even have it posted on another forum too and nothing. The videos and forums all say the same thing in the kick panel. I’ve removed the kick panel and I don’t see any open plugs but I don’t know how deep do I dig in ? Is it more in the glove box or farther up behind the dash or is it just there in plain sight ?

Old 10-15-2018, 01:24 PM
Burro
Senior User
Sorry that I have no better information. But if the videos all say the wires are there, then there is a good chance they actually are... I did not find the upfitter wires, and they are in plain sight once you know where to look for them. My wife spotted them, without her I would still be searching. I guess the wires you are looking for could be similarly "camouflaged". Maybe someone else has an idea.

Edit: The pictures in this thread are no help? The plug pictured there should be pretty obvious.

https://www.ford-trucks.com/forums/1...ab-lights.html

Old 10-15-2018, 01:35 PM
05HD6.Leaker
New User
Originally Posted by Burro
Sorry that I have no better information. But if the videos all say the wires are there, then there is a good chance they actually are... I did not find the upfitter wires, and they are in plain sight once you know where to look for them. My wife spotted them, without her I would still be searching. I guess the wires you are looking for could be similarly "camouflaged". Maybe someone else has an idea.

Edit: The pictures in this thread are no help? The plug pictured there should be pretty obvious.

https://www.ford-trucks.com/forums/1...ab-lights.html
I appreciate all your help. Ive seen that post but that’s more for the 90s body style I don’t see any plugs that look like that. I’m trying to post a picture but I don’t think I’m doing it right or the website isn’t letting me?

Old 10-17-2018, 08:58 PM
DieselBeast01
Posting Guru
I did the install in my 01, and yes the plug was behind the passenger side kick panel. The truck should also have holes under the headliner that wiring clips go in. Everything should essentially be plug and play, and all you have to do is drill the 15 holes in the roof for the lights. There is an extremely good write up on FTE somewhere that I used when I did mine years ago. It even gave me the correct part numbers to buy and all. If I remember correctly, not all trucks had the plug in the kick panel. Some did, and some didn't. I think my kit came from partsguyEd on this forum. He may still be active on here, and he may not. According to this thread, https://www.powerstroke.org/forum/99...tall-pics.html
If you don't have anything in the roof i.e. overhead console, sunroof, etc. Then you will have the plug. This guy was in the same situation you're in (he had the overhead console that was using his plug) and he explains how to get around it.

Word of advice from when I did do mine, measure a million times, and don't skimp on how much masking tape you use. Seems like there was some debate on using silicone along with the supplied seals with the lights, and general consensus was that the silicone didn't work well with seals. So only use the seals on top, then go into the truck and silicone the holes from inside the truck.

Old 10-18-2018, 09:51 AM
05HD6.Leaker
New User
Originally Posted by DieselBeast01
I did the install in my 01, and yes the plug was behind the passenger side kick panel. The truck should also have holes under the headliner that wiring clips go in. Everything should essentially be plug and play, and all you have to do is drill the 15 holes in the roof for the lights. There is an extremely good write up on FTE somewhere that I used when I did mine years ago. It even gave me the correct part numbers to buy and all. If I remember correctly, not all trucks had the plug in the kick panel. Some did, and some didn't. I think my kit came from partsguyEd on this forum. He may still be active on here, and he may not. According to this thread, https://www.powerstroke.org/forum/99...tall-pics.html
If you don't have anything in the roof i.e. overhead console, sunroof, etc. Then you will have the plug. This guy was in the same situation you're in (he had the overhead console that was using his plug) and he explains how to get around it.

Word of advice from when I did do mine, measure a million times, and don't skimp on how much masking tape you use. Seems like there was some debate on using silicone along with the supplied seals with the lights, and general consensus was that the silicone didn't work well with seals. So only use the seals on top, then go into the truck and silicone the holes from inside the truck.

Thanks for your help luckily my roof already has the holes so I don’t have to drill. Like the link you sent me says my truck unfortunately doesn’t come with the plug because it has a sunroof and roof console. I called a guy near me that has a shop but was a ford mechanic for 20 years he says he can wire them up for me to work for $245 he says he will have to wire them to the harness but also so they don’t turn on with the truck only with the switch when the lights turn on? Does that sound right ?

Old 10-18-2018, 03:05 PM
DieselBeast01
Posting Guru
Originally Posted by 05HD6.Leaker

Thanks for your help luckily my roof already has the holes so I don’t have to drill. Like the link you sent me says my truck unfortunately doesn’t come with the plug because it has a sunroof and roof console. I called a guy near me that has a shop but was a ford mechanic for 20 years he says he can wire them up for me to work for $245 he says he will have to wire them to the harness but also so they don’t turn on with the truck only with the switch when the lights turn on? Does that sound right ?
Do not pay him 245 bucks to wire them up. Just run the harness down the driver side a pillar and tie it in with the headlight switch. I'm not sure of the wire colloring, but there aren't many wires to the lighting system on that truck. Pull the headlight switch out. Run cab light harness down driver a pillar, and behind the dash to back of headlight switch, then search internet for which wire is power and which is ground, and wire it up accordingly. If you pulled the headliner and all out of the truck, then you should be able to wire them up. They only have to be grounded, and the hot wire for the cab lights needs to spliced into the parking light hot wire.

Old 10-18-2018, 03:11 PM
05HD6.Leaker
New User
Originally Posted by DieselBeast01
Do not pay him 245 bucks to wire them up. Just run the harness down the driver side a pillar and tie it in with the headlight switch. I'm not sure of the wire colloring, but there aren't many wires to the lighting system on that truck. Pull the headlight switch out. Run cab light harness down driver a pillar, and behind the dash to back of headlight switch, then search internet for which wire is power and which is ground, and wire it up accordingly. If you pulled the headliner and all out of the truck, then you should be able to wire them up. They only have to be grounded, and the hot wire for the cab lights needs to spliced into the parking light hot wire.

thats what hat I was thinking. That’s way too much to wire up some lights. I’ve seen forums saying brown and black but I don’t know if that’s for the 05 and up or for the 04 and down because I’ve read that they changed the harness in those years?

Old 10-18-2018, 03:47 PM
DieselBeast01
Posting Guru
Old 10-18-2018, 09:14 PM
05HD6.Leaker
New User

thanks i really appreciate all the help guys

Old 10-19-2018, 03:54 PM
DieselBeast01
Posting Guru
No problem.

Old 10-25-2018, 04:10 PM
05HD6.Leaker
New User
Hey guys just an update my body shop guy was installing the cab lights and he removed the old harness that was up there and put this one in it’s place and it replaced everything and plugged into the plug that the original harness was plugged into lights work perfect put new covers and led bulbs looks great would post pics but for some reason it won’t let me thanks again for all your help

Quick Reply: 2005 F250 Harley Davidson clearance lights install