2017+ Super Duty The 2017+ Ford F250, F350, F450 and F550 Super Duty Pickup and Chassis Cab

Did they install the right lift?

Search this Thread

Old 08-20-2018, 01:40 PM
TRAINHORNMAN
Elder User
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Did they install the right lift?

So I had a leveling kit on the truck then decided to go to a 6 Inch lift. They installed a 6" ProComp Lift with the A arms. FOR some reason it does not seem like my truck was lifted 6 inches after I got it back. The reason I lifted it was not to rub on the 37" Toyos I have. I AM STILL rubbing on my tires.

My question is how can you tell if they really installed a 6 inch lift kit? My buddy's 8 inch lifted truck sits about 4 inches different then mine (he has 38s)

Old 08-20-2018, 02:01 PM
Busa 1 Dave
Laughing Gas
Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts
Lot more to it than just a lift. Everything has to work together, wheel off set, lift (systems are all different to a certain degree in the way they were engineered), even the different brands of tires that are "supposed" to be the same size . Unfortunately, when this is not all taken into account you are left with a wicked looking but nevertheless a mall crawler that cannot utilize full turning radius or suspension travel unless you want to cause severe damage to your vehicle. Seen it happen to lots of folks over the years. Pays to use a very knowledgeable shop that knows how to integrate everything.

Good luck getting it sorted out and one thing I have learned after 15 lifted trucks and jeeps---you get what you pay for with the "lifts" if you will.

Old 08-20-2018, 02:10 PM
Drew_SD
Senior User
The limited details provided are not going to get you any sort of useable answer.. please provide wheel specs (offset, width, dia, etc), tire specs (size, brand, etc.), lift details (what kit, link?), and more information on where it's rubbing (RA, sway bar, rear fender?)

If you want help, you have to help us with clear information. A wild title, sparse details and a few pics will get you nowhere fast.

Old 08-20-2018, 04:41 PM
TRAINHORNMAN
Elder User
Did not realize all of that.
Rim : 20x10 OFFSET of -18 (Fuel Wheels)
Tire: Toyo MT 37x12.5x20
Lift: Pro Comp 6 Inch Stage II Lift Kit with ES9000 Shocks Link to Lift

When I had the leveling kit, it used to rub on the plastic in the front. The rear and front plastics inside of the fender.
From what I can tell now, it seems like its rubbing on the bumper. It rubs when the truck flexes left to right in a turn. It also slightly rubs when in reverse turning or going backwards straight.
Here is a pic I took a couple days ago.

I asked the truck shop...If I install this lift its going to get rid of rubbing right? He said yes. So Im wondering if this is not the right "6 inch" lift???

Old 08-20-2018, 05:11 PM
MSDeltasleeper
Cross-Country
I have rancho 5” with New Radius arms and even with that lift my 37-12.50 Toyo MT rubbed with stock wheels.

Old 08-20-2018, 05:27 PM
TXSD6.2
More Turbo
Received 31 Likes on 27 Posts
Look your kit up. Most kits have detailed pictures online of the parts included (a lot even have videos of the installation available). Climb under your truck and look. You will be able to tell if they installed what you paid for (that should have been he first thing you did, unless you got to watch them while it was on the lift).

Old 08-20-2018, 05:47 PM
TRAINHORNMAN
Elder User
I think what I am getting at is... Im 90% sure they installed all the stuff. What I am wondering is if they maybe installed shorter springs that make it sit lower?

Are there specific part numbers on these so I know its a 6 inch lift? Is there a specific height that a truck usually sits at with a 6 inch lift (this is an example, i know there are many factors), OR even using math and calculating my tire, the 6 inches and something else to come up with a number of where the truck should be sitting at.

Old 08-20-2018, 05:53 PM
Tricon
Logistics Pro
Received 44 Likes on 35 Posts
What's the height of your wheel wells. Mine with a 2.5" lift and 35's is about 44.5, so yours should be 3.5" higher...about 48"

Thats obviously not very scientific, but it might point you in the right direction. Looks to me like you have the 6" lift because of those radius arms and the extreme angle they are at. I believe their 4.5" lift uses drop brackets instead. I can't believe that rides that good with such angles in the RA's...but I'm not a lift engineer so what the sheet do I know.

Hmm...actually, I just looked it up, and I guess its an option. Here's the drop brackets...those angles look so much better:

Old 08-20-2018, 06:45 PM
Dockmaster1
Senior User
Don't know if this helps but I have a 6" Fabtech Lift and 37/13.5/22's. The only time I have ever rubbed is hard over steering in reverse if I hit a bump just right I get a little rub on the very front.

Old 08-20-2018, 09:25 PM
wfedwar
Elder User
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
If it’s rubbing on your bumper, a lift isn’t going to do much. You need a bumper spacer.

Old 08-21-2018, 08:51 AM
Mxsledder
Senior User
I think you do have a 6” lift installed. I have a 6” Fabtech on mine with 37-13:50 Toyo mt and had to shim the front bumper forward. Your issue is the very negative offset on your wheels. I would bet if you went to a 0 offset wheel your rubbing would be solved.

Old 08-21-2018, 09:21 AM
Drew_SD
Senior User
The procomp lift looks correct, I would look into adding the RA drop brackets for improved ride (won't help with rub). But will require realignment...

Anyway, the negative offset is causing the rub hands down. Bumper spacers (probably not much) will fix it. And stated previously, a wheel with offset of 0 to +18 would not rub.

Old 08-21-2018, 12:53 PM
TRAINHORNMAN
Elder User
Thanks for the pictures and the replys. I might just do the bumper spacer and see if that helps. Any link to products that people have used and are satisfied?

Old 08-21-2018, 01:28 PM
bobv60
Fleet Mechanic
Received 67 Likes on 46 Posts
It looks to me that the front axle is too far forward. Have you called the lift manufacturer tech support?
looks like the arms are too long to me.

Old 08-21-2018, 02:15 PM
swlakingranch
Mountain Pass
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Originally Posted by TRAINHORNMAN
Thanks for the pictures and the replys. I might just do the bumper spacer and see if that helps. Any link to products that people have used and are satisfied?
I installed a 3/4" KD Fabworks spacer on my truck. It helped me clear 37x13.50's with a -44 offset.

Quick Reply: Did they install the right lift?