2004 - 2008 F150 2004, 2005, 2006, 2007 and 2008 Ford F150's with 5.4 V8, 4.6 V8 engine
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Truck cranks but no spark

Search this Thread

Old 05-20-2018, 12:31 PM
M_C_shady
New User
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Truck cranks but no spark

I have a 2004 new body style 4x4 and I’ve been having some hard to chase issues lately. I went in and did a bunch of valve train work put it all back together and the truck started right up. It ran just fine for about two minutes of idling and then all hell broke loose. It started marketing a bunch of terrible noises and started to shudder so I turned it off. Went to start it again and it would run for a second and then stall. Started it again and gave it gas to see if that smoothed anything out and as soon as it got to about 2500 rpm the truck cut off. No sputtering or anything just turned off. After this the truck would crank over but wouldn’t start. Ended up putting the battery on a charger for a few days and reinstalling it once we did this the truck started up with all the racket it was making before. We ended up just letting it run for about two minutes at 2000 rpm and it smoothed out stopped making noise an would idle just fine. The truck was throwing a bank 1 cam position sensor fault but would run regardless of the sensor being plugged in or unplugged. The truck would rev just fine with now problems so I decided to drive it around the block I was able to idle out of the driveway just fine. I gave it gas got up to 2500 rpm and it cut out just like it did before. Now if you let it sit for a day it will sputter briefly when you try to start it but then nothing. It just cranks and cranks. It will not start with starting fluid so I’m guessing no spark. The fuel pump primed and the driver has been replaced so it’s getting gas. The pcm has good grounds and is getting power. All of the ignition fuses are good but when measuring voltage on the COP connectors from the hot to ground on the chassis I’m not getting any voltage with the key in run any help would be greatly appreciated! Could it possibly be a bad pcm, i there any way to test the pcm and anything else to look at before replacing the pcm?

Old 05-20-2018, 10:02 PM
steve(ill)
Hotshot
Received 115 Likes on 102 Posts
what happened to the shudder and massive valve train noise ? You don't think this is related to valve timing issues ?

Old 05-20-2018, 11:52 PM
M_C_shady
New User
It’s not throwing any sort of timing codes and I took it to ford to change the plugs and figure out what the noise was and they didn’t come up with any timing issues when they scanned it so I ruled that out. Once I got it back from ford I just put in new lash adjusters and roller followers stuck the timing wedge into the chain and marked the phasers all went back together the same way it came apart. But even if it ends up being timing the lack of spark is the more pressing problem.

Old 05-20-2018, 11:55 PM
M_C_shady
New User
My thought was most of the rough running was caused by an errant short since it seemed to come and go and the truck would die very abruptly and not restart. Could that be off base at all?

Old 05-21-2018, 11:32 AM
70f100longbed
Fleet Mechanic
Received 14 Likes on 12 Posts
Was the crank sensor tone wheel reinstalled correctly with the teeth facing the timing cover? If it was backwards the teeth will dig into the chain. No teeth=no RPM signal.

Old 05-21-2018, 12:20 PM
M_C_shady
New User
The only work that was done was done on the lash adjusters roller followers and cam phasers. Could the crank position sensor be bad but not throwing a code?

Old 05-21-2018, 03:18 PM
pdqford
Logistics Pro
Received 33 Likes on 30 Posts
Crank sensors seldom throw a code.
When there is no CKP sensor signal the PCM just thinks the engine is not rotating.

If you turn the ignition key to the “run” position the SES lamp should light.
Then if you turn the ignition key to the “start” position the engine should begin to crank.
If the PCM then sees the CKP signal it will turn off the SES lamp and the tach should begin to read.
If that doesn’t happen the PCM isn’t seeing a crank signal (and it doesn’t know to turn the fuel pump on, and it doesn’t know when to fire which coil, or injector, etc,etc.)

Old 05-22-2018, 01:57 AM
M_C_shady
New User
Well sounds like as good a place as any to start. Are there any other ideas out there? And is it at all possible to test for a bad pcm?

Old 05-22-2018, 07:53 AM
Shadow351
Senior User
"Testing" for a bad PCM usually means ensuring all applicable PCM inputs and output circuits are good. If there is an input problem, then there will most likely be an output problem ("Garbage In->Garbage Out") and of course if there is an output circuit problem, the PCM can't control that circuit.

Do you have a scan tool that is capable of reading PID's? IE Forscan or Torque? If so, connect it to the truck and see if the RPM PID reads anything while cranking, this should tell you if your Crank Position Signal is reaching the PCM.

Old 05-25-2018, 06:09 PM
M_C_shady
New User
Does anyone know where the coil pack hot wire originates and if it has a relay that activates when the key is turned to on? Since there’s no power on the coils figured I’d start at the source.

Old 05-26-2018, 09:46 AM
pdqford
Logistics Pro
Received 33 Likes on 30 Posts
So, what was your result of post #7?

Old 05-26-2018, 06:31 PM
M_C_shady
New User
On the occasions that it would sputter and die the tach would read and by the SES light do you mean the wrench? And it would disappear.

Old 05-26-2018, 06:33 PM
M_C_shady
New User
However it was my understanding that all of the coils were receiving twelve bolts all the time when the truck is on so if it was grounded out it should read twelve volts. Am I off base at all?

Old 05-26-2018, 06:57 PM
projectSHO89
Hotshot
Received 875 Likes on 727 Posts
If you do not have power on the "hot" side of the COPS, the engine will never run. Since you failed to identify what engine you're working on, it's not feasible to try and look anything up.

Old 05-27-2018, 01:31 AM
M_C_shady
New User
lol my bad it’s a 5.4

Quick Reply: Truck cranks but no spark