6.0L Power Stroke Diesel 2003 - 2007 F250, F350 pickup and F350+ Cab Chassis, 2003 - 2005 Excursion and 2003 - 2009 van

Risk buying 2004 6.0L powerstroke with 57K miles?

Search this Thread

Old 03-27-2018, 11:39 AM
Mike in Arizona
Senior User
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Risk buying 2004 6.0L powerstroke with 57K miles?

I found a very clean 2004 DRW F350 Super Duty 4x4 with the ill-spoken-of 6.0L diesel. I live in real truck country here so prices are actually higher than the national average - this truck is about 15K, so far the best truck I've looked at in my price range. It only has 57,000 miles, 100% legit, matches carfax, ONE owner, no accidents, just service records. I'll only be using it to haul my horses. The engine is very loud - sounds like our UPS truck. But it rides like a dream, no suspension or steering issues at all. For the money, I like it.

But I've read about all the horror stories regarding the 6.0L powerstroke engine; what is my actual risk at 57,000 miles? I looked at the owner's manuals and it looks like he did all the maintenance to that point, mostly just oil/filter/lube stuff. And the truck really is in cherry condition, it was cherished by the last owner.

With the mileage at 57K, is it pretty low risk that I'll experience the issues commonly associated with the power stroke, and will be able to pro-actively address them? Or is there some amount of money I should just plan on investing up front to bullet proof it?

Also, is anybody in the verde-valley/prescott area of Arizona with a scanner and diesel know how to lend a hand examining it?

Thanks!

Mike in (cornville) AZ

Old 03-27-2018, 11:50 AM
DarkStarMedia
Posting Guru
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
I would hold out for an 05+, but that is my opinion. Lots of upgrades in an 05 (many non-engine). I wouldn't worry about the engine though; if it becomes necessary you can update to the later engine by swapping parts.

I am in the Tucson area and there have been plenty in the 12-15k range that look good if you are willing to wait a bit and travel to phx or down here (might want to check Vegas too).

Richard

Old 03-27-2018, 11:51 AM
Mike in Arizona
Senior User
Oh, I forgot to mention - there are no emissions regulations, inspections, or tests, where I live. So I could remove the EGR system without penalty.

And my use - is mainly to tow a horse trailer, max weight about 8K with my current horses. But they do move around.

And I have no plans on doing off road with it, running oversize tires, or running a custom tune. I just am going to keep it bone-stock, unless it's something to improve reliability.

Old 03-27-2018, 11:55 AM
DarkStarMedia
Posting Guru
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Originally Posted by Mike in Arizona
Oh, I forgot to mention - there are no emissions regulations, inspections, or tests, where I live. So I could remove the EGR system without penalty.

And my use - is mainly to tow a horse trailer, max weight about 8K with my current horses. But they do move around.

And I have no plans on doing off road with it, running oversize tires, or running a custom tune. I just am going to keep it bone-stock, unless it's something to improve reliability.
That is basically what I did. The EGR on my truck is deleted and they never look at the engine anyway during emissions. They just check for a cat and do an opacity test.

Richard

Old 03-27-2018, 12:55 PM
Sparky83
FTE Legend
Received 94 Likes on 60 Posts
as stated in your other thread...

dont let the bad rep scare you.... the 6.0's arent as bad as their reputations make them out to be...

Originally Posted by texastech_diesel
Todd said $5,000 because for that amount of money you can let a grease monkey rampage through the engine bay "fixing" all the things the internet will tell you is wrong with the engine. I'd say 'preemptively' fix, but many of the things that are "fixed" aren't even real problems to begin with so not really sure it's worth it to spend the money on a hunch from a bunch of keyboard commandos.
ntm some of those preemptive fixes sometimes caused the problems they were trying to avoid because they didnt understand how the original equipment worked before doing them..

Old 03-27-2018, 01:55 PM
Hank85713
Cargo Master
Received 18 Likes on 17 Posts
I have an 04 have had the egr replaced with BP unit, oem oil cooler replaced with updated oem one, ARP head studs oem gaskets and have about 52K on her trouble free before and after also the blue spring mod. My BIL has the same year and has around 150K has had all the issues but wont trade it for a new one, says he like the older better. His is a work truck and has been worked hard. My dentist has an 03 dually said it has around 60K on it (pulled a big boat) and has never had any issues. Mine and my dentists are not daily drivers but I did pull a TT and he the boat. Just had mine out for run of about 150 miles the other day and just ran sweet. If you can, get a road run with a scan gauge or something and check out the one you are interested in. Yes there are some maybe cheaper but I have seen a couple and they have been run hard and are generally found on the auto lots from the auctions.

If you need a name I can give you via pm the name of the guy who worked on mine. he is/was a lead ford tech at a dealership and was very reasonable in costs to do my work.

Old 03-27-2018, 02:04 PM
bismic
Fleet Owner
Received 2,514 Likes on 1,747 Posts
The 04 model year had several "versions". If you buy an 04, you need to get familiar w/ what parts you have and which ones are likely to need upgrading.

The first step is to locate the ICP sensor (behind turbo or on passenger valve cover).

Old 03-27-2018, 02:13 PM
texinwa
Senior User
Originally Posted by bismic
The 04 model year had several "versions". If you buy an 04, you need to get familiar w/ what parts you have and which ones are likely to need upgrading.

The first step is to locate the ICP sensor (behind turbo or on passenger valve cover).
Would be awesome if you break down the pros and cons of each version and how to id them.
I have an 04 6.0 from an expedition in the back of my truck now. Getting ready to jab it in my 04 F550 wrecker.

Old 03-27-2018, 02:41 PM
bismic
Fleet Owner
All 04's : HPOP is not the most reliable part. Aftermarket resolves this but when the HPOP fails, it can get expensive to replace (parts and labor are both somewhat costly).
All 04's (in fact all 6.0L's) : weak OEM fuel pressure regulator spring. Ford offers an upgraded part that resolves this. Reasonable cost
All 04's (in fact all 6.0L's) : weak FICM components, especially if the system voltage is allowed to get weak. FICMrepair.com upgrades the FICM for a moderate cost - around $350 IIRC. Sometimes a new alternator or new batteries (or both) are needed.

Early 04's : weak ICP sensor and harness. Ford offers an upgraded part that resolves this. Reasonable cost
Early 04's : water pump had some issues. It could be updated to the later design, but would require a new front cover.

Mid to late 04's : changed to a weaker EGR cooler. Delete it or install a BulletProofDiesel EGR cooler
Mid to late 04's : added dummy plugs in the oil rail and changed the design of the standpipes. These components are not the most reliable. Ford offers upgraded parts that resolve this. Moderate cost
Mid to late 04's : Some injector upgrades

Old 03-27-2018, 03:34 PM
Sparky83
FTE Legend
Received 94 Likes on 60 Posts
Keep in mind there are some early 04's that are actually 03's but labeled 04.. and there were actually some 03 6.0's that people like to forget about running around out there.. you need to look for the build date which can be found on the vin tag.. for instance my truck was sold as an 04. but the build date was actually July of 2003. there were many revisions that were done to these engines.. really early builds of the 6.0's did not have the prone to failure HPOP STC fitting everyone talks about.. that came as a later revision on the 04's before ford changed to the newer HPOP on the 05's.. Where the fitting came into play is when the ICP sensor got moved to the "wavy" style oil rails.. The Log style oil rails did not have those issues as the fitting was different for the connection to the HPOP.

Later models ran a shorter glow plug than the early builds. anything with a build date of 9/2003 and earlier required the longer plug.. there were also revisions to the head gaskets as well.. 9/2003 and earlier, 9/2003-1/2006 and 1/2006-newer were all different.. so when buying parts knowing the build date can really make a difference..

Old 03-27-2018, 05:12 PM
bismic
Fleet Owner
The build for the following year always begins in about July (maybe June) of the preceding year (ie you can buy the first 04's in July of 03; you can buy the first 05's in July of 04; etc).

The early 04's were truly 03 engines (through Sept 29th or so of 2003).

Old 03-27-2018, 05:33 PM
Mike in Arizona
Senior User
Originally Posted by Sparky83
Keep in mind there are some early 04's that are actually 03's but labeled 04.. and there were actually some 03 6.0's that people like to forget about running around out there..
From the Carfax Report:

2004 FORD F350 SUPER DUTY
VIN: 1FTWX33P94EA01799
4 DOOR EXTENDED CAB PICKUP
6.0L V8 F
DIESEL
REAR WHEEL DRIVE W/ 4X4

06/24/2003 NICB Vehicle manufactured and shipped to origina l dealer

I purchased it. Pics are here: https://imgur.com/a/zCYet

Old 03-27-2018, 06:01 PM
Mike in Arizona
Senior User
I guess this truck would count as an 03 labeled 04? Being it was shipped to original dealer 6/24/2003?

So since it's an 03 powerstroke, am I better off, or even worse now? lol.

It drove great driving home up the I7. But it did sound a lot like the UPS truck. It's a big loud.

Old 03-27-2018, 06:54 PM
texastech_diesel
Token Redneck

Received 100 Likes on 53 Posts
'03s are fine, trade a weaker HPOP for a better EGR cooler. Oil rails probably leak less over time, had better computer flashes off the lot, a few nuances. If there's a butterfly valve in the intake horn you gotta take that out, but that's annoying more than hard, and it's probably already gone (if it was ever there).

Now that we've corrupted you, we have to do the secret maintenance initiation rites:
https://www.ford-trucks.com/forums/s...09&postcount=6

Old 03-27-2018, 07:27 PM
Mike in Arizona
Senior User
Originally Posted by texastech_diesel
'03s are fine, trade a weaker HPOP for a better EGR cooler. Oil rails probably leak less over time, had better computer flashes off the lot, a few nuances. If there's a butterfly valve in the intake horn you gotta take that out, but that's annoying more than hard, and it's probably already gone (if it was ever there).

Now that we've corrupted you, we have to do the secret maintenance initiation rites:
https://www.ford-trucks.com/forums/s...09&postcount=6
Good list of stuff!

I found the Scan Tool at Bullet Proof Diesel, is that suitable for guages right away?

ScanGauge II Digital Data Monitor

Quick Reply: Risk buying 2004 6.0L powerstroke with 57K miles?