Sponsored by:

New Excursion, Need Advice

Search this Thread

Old 03-08-2018, 10:00 PM
thatsneakyYeti
Cross-Country
Received 9 Likes on 5 Posts
New Excursion, Need Advice

Alright, so I guess the Ford bug has really bitten me. Bought my first Super Duty this fall (2018 F350 Lariat) and brought home a 2003 6.0L Excursion a few weeks ago. I bought the Excursion at auction as it was just too good of a deal to pass up. 120k miles on it. The cladding is going to go, and the paint has seen better days, but the sheetmetal is straight. And even though I kept my fingers crossed when I bought it, sure enough... oil in the coolant.

I've pored through the threads on all things Ex and 6.0l for about 2 weeks now. My efficiency at work has suffered tremendously while I've read all the awesome threads in here.
SO.... I'm about to remove the front fenders and grill to give me as much access as I can to the engine. While I have it torn apart, I want to replace or rebuild whatever you guys recommend. I plan to do aftermarket Oil Cooler and EGR Coolers, and likely will replace all 8 injectors while I have it open. I will add Head Studs. Overall, I don't need a lot more performance from the EX, just good, solid reliability. Also, am I setting myself up for failure for planning all of this work without lifting the body?

What else would you do while I have everything torn off? Budget is "fairly" flexible...

Also, I plan to Raptor Liner the entire body similar to what GHGlenn and some others have done. So I will be sure to document as much of that process as I can. The paint is in terrible shape, and I'd rather my money go into the drivetrain than into new paint. I will do my best to add pics and document my adventures.

Driving home from Auction

Solid TTP to just put a few screws into the cladding to keep it on... I guess.... All the cladding will be removed since it is all in terrible shape.

Old 03-09-2018, 01:16 AM
hwybee22
Posting Guru
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Sounds like a good plan, but you need to put in a Ford OEM oil cooler, unless you plan to open it back? Because it's a guarantee you will replace your that crappy aftermarket cooler.

Old 03-09-2018, 07:43 AM
EXSwap
Fleet Mechanic
Received 145 Likes on 121 Posts
Welcome! Can't wait to see the build!

Edit:

If I were gonna have mine open, I'd get the heads checked, just in case. There are methods of doing the work you're talking about without a body lift, so I'd say it's totally doable. Might not be the most efficient way, especially if you have access to a lift. Then again, if you take the body off, you're likely to see a whole bunch of stuff you want to change/fix/modify. Good luck!

Old 03-09-2018, 09:02 AM
SmackDaddy
Postmaster
Received 234 Likes on 161 Posts
Removing the fenders won’t really get you access to the motor, lifting the cab is the way to go for studding the heads for sure. Check the up pipe, y-pipe and rear main seal while you can.

Old 03-09-2018, 09:21 AM
thatsneakyYeti
Cross-Country
Originally Posted by hwybee22
Sounds like a good plan, but you need to put in a Ford OEM oil cooler, unless you plan to open it back? Because it's a guarantee you will replace your that crappy aftermarket cooler.
Does this apply to a Bullet Proof Oil Cooler as well? I'm planning to install one of them, but always open to suggestions. I've read that the OEM coolers seem to have been updated in the last few years.

Old 03-09-2018, 09:31 AM
SmackDaddy
Postmaster
Originally Posted by thatsneakyYeti
Does this apply to a Bullet Proof Oil Cooler as well? I'm planning to install one of them, but always open to suggestions. I've read that the OEM coolers seem to have been updated in the last few years.
The OEM oil cooler is fine if your ECT/EOT delta is 5-7 degrees. I’d recommend the oil cooler flush port from JC at FixUR6 so you can easily backflush the cooler. Also go to ELC coolant, not the Ford Gold junk that gels up and clogs your cooler. Also go ahead and do the coolant flush for peace of mind. Adding Fumoto drain valves on both block plugs, oil pan and radiator drain is probably one of the most useful mods I have done.

Old 03-09-2018, 11:05 AM
Greenscobie86
Posting Guru
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Good luck with the build. I wish you good fortune. Really nice 2017 SD as well!

Old 03-10-2018, 09:14 PM
thatsneakyYeti
Cross-Country
Got the front end torn apart and a LOT of parts in the mail. I've been talking with the Mrs', and I think I'm going to repair this EX, sell it and begin looking for a 4WD version to actually build. So I'll be replacing the Oil Cooler (OEM), EGR Cooler (Sinister) as well as replacing all of the cooling system components with aftermarket parts (Radiator, Hoses, Degas tank, Thermostat, etc). I'll also only be doing the Raptor liner on the rockers to mimic the look of the Eddie Bauer cladding without the issues of the trapped water, dirt, etc. So here are pics of the progress so far....

This is after I pressure washed all the crap built up behind the cladding. Overall, paint wasn't in terrible shape.

Front bumper will be completely refinished off the truck.

And now, a bit easier to reach everything on top of the motor that is about to be removed.

Old 03-10-2018, 09:17 PM
thatsneakyYeti
Cross-Country
What is this hose coming off the air intake? It wasn't attached to anything.

I'm talking about the hose coming out of the intake box, and going down to the right.

This is where the hose terminates behind the driver's headlight, not attached to anything.

Old 03-11-2018, 07:52 AM
Jeff53
Senior User
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Hose

I think that may be Redneck Ram Air.

Originally Posted by thatsneakyYeti
What is this hose coming off the air intake? It wasn't attached to anything.

I'm talking about the hose coming out of the intake box, and going down to the right.

This is where the hose terminates behind the driver's headlight, not attached to anything.

Old 03-11-2018, 08:25 AM
SmackDaddy
Postmaster
That hose behind the headlight is supposed to be open like that and I think it’s in case your air filter gets so dirty it has somewhere to get air from. Kind of like a bypass oil or transmission filter.

Old 03-11-2018, 08:26 PM
fordboy2
Cargo Master
Received 10 Likes on 5 Posts
Well looks like your in to it now. Good luck with your project

Old 03-11-2018, 11:09 PM
thatsneakyYeti
Cross-Country
Originally Posted by SmackDaddy
That hose behind the headlight is supposed to be open like that and I think it’s in case your air filter gets so dirty it has somewhere to get air from. Kind of like a bypass oil or transmission filter.

Thanks. I thought it was something like that, but it's always hard to tell in a used vehicle what is supposed to be there, and what is not.

Old 03-11-2018, 11:11 PM
thatsneakyYeti
Cross-Country
Ok, new question. What is the sensor located next to the thermostat housing? I found it broken and need to get a replacement ordered. Is it the Exhaust Back Pressure sensor?

The plastic piece at the bracket is broken. This is right next to the thermostat housing.

Old 03-20-2018, 08:12 PM
thatsneakyYeti
Cross-Country
Well, I got a new OEM Oil Cooler installed, and everything back where it is supposed to be. Just waiting on new Radiator Hoses to arrive before I fire her up and check my work. I also installed a Sinister Coolant Filter system and all new parts for the cooling system (Radiator, Hoses, Degas Bottle, Water pump, etc). Last day of sunshine for awhile, so I went ahead and sprayed the front bumper and xenon flares with the Raptor Liner (Colored with Arizona Beige tint).

Xenon Flare

Close up of the texture for anyone interested

Bumper looks good. Overall color is a bit darker than the original cladding, but I think it looks good.

Quick Reply: New Excursion, Need Advice