6.7L Power Stroke Diesel 2011-current Ford Powerstroke 6.7 L turbo diesel engine

6.7 Radiator Leaks

Search this Thread

Old 11-18-2017, 01:42 AM
MarkInLagoVista
New User
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
6.7 Radiator Leaks

Why does Ford act/respond like this isn't a problem? First truck I have ever owned that the tires & brakes lasted longer than the radiator. This is just WRONG!
Ford has denied my claim as well. Big Surprise right...

Mark
mdixon@centexautomation.com

Old 11-18-2017, 06:33 AM
senix
Super Moderator
Received 1,418 Likes on 1,013 Posts
It has been a problem since 2008 model year. The crimps around the plastic don't work well.

Tell us more about your truck, what year, what motor (I assume 6.7) when did you buy it and how many miles are on it?

Old 11-18-2017, 06:37 AM
T diesel
Posting Guru
Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts
I agree.
Ford really should step up somewhat on their
radiator problem.
It's not in the Ford DNA to proactively help in
these situations.
Look at the poor owners of the trucks with the early 2011 6.7 valve failures.
They only do what they HAVE to.

Old 11-18-2017, 07:52 AM
Jswenski
New User
I feel for you on that one. Brought mine in with 37580 miles on it and they were less than accommodating to say the least. Going to cost you around 1300$ I imagine

Old 11-18-2017, 05:45 PM
J ballan
Fleet Mechanic
Received 11 Likes on 10 Posts
Ours went out with around 60 000kms I believe but it was under warranty. Now with 170000 on it I'm just waiting for it to go again. Good news is Rockauto has them for a good price. Motorcraft was around $500 CAD and the spectra was a little more. Anybody try a spectra one yet? Better than the Motorcraft?

Old 11-18-2017, 06:50 PM
willydmax
Senior User
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
I'll be installing a CSF brand radiator in a customers 2011 F350 Monday. We'll see how that goes. I installed a Carquest one in a customers truck back in March and it has been great so far. One thing we do know is the Ford one fails so trying another brand can't be a bad idea. Plus the warranty on the aftermarket could be better than the Ford Motorcraft. Just my $.02

Old 11-25-2017, 01:43 PM
projectnitemare
Laughing Gas
Received 7 Likes on 5 Posts
I'll join the club, mine started leaking along the tank yesterday, 41000 miles and only 16 months old. Makes me real confident for the 800 mile drive I have tomorrow. Probably won't be covered which is expected. With all the other problems the truck is starting to have its time to trade. The powerstroke has left a bad taste in my mouth recently.

Old 12-02-2017, 08:47 AM
Traveling Man
Senior User
Ford Motor Company needed to hit a homerun with the newest diesel and for the most part they did but with all the issues customers have had previously with the Super Duty trucks prior to 2011 they are on very thin ice. My truck has been issue free other than a failed EGT sensor left me stranded. I know of several folks in my area that have had radiator problems to the tune of $1300-$1700. I am on the fence about trading mine if it begins to leak but if I replace the radiator on this truck, I'm done with FoMoCo. $10,000 diesel motor with a $40 radiator.

Old 12-03-2017, 10:09 AM
UP_There
Lead Driver
Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts
One thing I have noticed over the years.......pretty much EVERY generation of truck, regardless of brand, will have some sort of weak link. Some are worse then others, but by abandoning "brand A" to go to "brand B" because of a simple problem makes no sense to me. Nobody makes the perfect truck!

I have been a 7.3 guy for years, and they most definitely had their weak links. Mainly the CPS, Up-pipes, and not so great transmissions. I addressed all of those concerns, and had a truck that was virtually bulletproof (pardon the over-used term). I am new to the 6.7, but I did my homework over the years, and from what I have determined, it is a GREAT truck, and motor, and over all a LOT better vehicle than the other "Big 2" in the diesel game. There will be some bumps in the road, but they are to be expected

Old 12-10-2017, 03:13 PM
Timberwolf2017
Freshman User
Originally Posted by UP_There
One thing I have noticed over the years.......pretty much EVERY generation of truck, regardless of brand, will have some sort of weak link. Some are worse then others, but by abandoning "brand A" to go to "brand B" because of a simple problem makes no sense to me. Nobody makes the perfect truck!

I have been a 7.3 guy for years, and they most definitely had their weak links. Mainly the CPS, Up-pipes, and not so great transmissions. I addressed all of those concerns, and had a truck that was virtually bulletproof (pardon the over-used term). I am new to the 6.7, but I did my homework over the years, and from what I have determined, it is a GREAT truck, and motor, and over all a LOT better vehicle than the other "Big 2" in the diesel game. There will be some bumps in the road, but they are to be expected

I have a 2017, traded a '15 Ram Cummins, the Ford is night and day above the Ram, in many aspects. Love the 6.7L PSD, will run circles around the Cummins.

Old 12-12-2017, 09:58 AM
troverman
Hotshot
Received 535 Likes on 259 Posts
Remember the Howie Long commercials showing how badly the Ford flexes it's frame? Well, when the frame flexes it tugs at the radiator which is directly or indirectly mounted to it. Yes, there are rubber radiator mounts but they can only move so much. The front section of the frame is fully boxed which will help it some, but I'd reckon this is the problem. Even the expensive Mishimoto radiators fail in the same manner. A better solution would be to figure out a way to mount the radiators that give the mounts more room to travel.

I'm hoping the 2017 trucks have solved the problem with the fully boxed frame resulting in less flex.

Old 12-13-2017, 08:37 AM
LaxPlaya21
Posting Guru
Originally Posted by troverman
Remember the Howie Long commercials showing how badly the Ford flexes it's frame? Well, when the frame flexes it tugs at the radiator which is directly or indirectly mounted to it. Yes, there are rubber radiator mounts but they can only move so much. The front section of the frame is fully boxed which will help it some, but I'd reckon this is the problem. Even the expensive Mishimoto radiators fail in the same manner. A better solution would be to figure out a way to mount the radiators that give the mounts more room to travel.

I'm hoping the 2017 trucks have solved the problem with the fully boxed frame resulting in less flex.
I am 100% on board with this and have been saying it for a few years. My 2013 needed a radiator at 40K miles, my friends 2014 has needed two radiators, and people who have replaced OEM radiators with aftermarket ones have seen them fail as well. You hit it dead on.

I just traded in my 2013 for a 2017 and the frame is noticeably stiffer.

Old 12-13-2017, 09:15 AM
F250_Super_4X4
Tuned
Received 10 Likes on 7 Posts
Im tracking that the issue is with the bypass thermostat. If the bypass thermostat is hyper extended beyond the 45mm threshold it will cause temp spikes and increased pressure throughout the radiator. Something has got to give so the radiator ultimately cracks.

Old 12-13-2017, 09:32 AM
troverman
Hotshot
Received 535 Likes on 259 Posts
Originally Posted by F250_Super_4X4
Im tracking that the issue is with the bypass thermostat. If the bypass thermostat is hyper extended beyond the 45mm threshold it will cause temp spikes and increased pressure throughout the radiator. Something has got to give so the radiator ultimately cracks.
Which thermostat are you referring to? The primary cooling system has two thermostats but they are located on the engine, not the radiator. The primary radiator has no thermostats in it.

The secondary radiator has a thermostat located in each of the left and right tanks. The right is a 140F thermostat and the left tank is a 113F thermostat. I think the OP is talking about his primary radiator as being what's leaking.

Old 12-13-2017, 10:13 AM
Hopeless Diamond
Junior User
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
I don't think he's saying the primary has thermostats, just that the thermostat is having a effect on the primary radiator.

That might explain why some vehicles seem to have a consistent problem with radiators (I'm on my 3rd Mishi) and others don't. If it was a frame flex issue you would think it would be more common with heavy service uses, i.e. oil fields, farm use, etc. While I do some off-roading, nothing extreme. My leaks have started without being off-road, just heavy traffic, highway miles, with or with out a camper.

Quick Reply: 6.7 Radiator Leaks