Sponsored by: DP Tuner

Air intake

Search this Thread

Old 09-27-2017, 02:06 PM
MTP55
More Turbo
Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts
Air intake

Hello again. Has anyone put a kit in from Riffraff? I know alot of people talk about the 6637. I also noticed they have a couple from aFe. One of them being called "Big Boost." Is putting one in a stock truck good bad or otherwise? Is it worthwhile? Just want to do a couple things to maybe bump up mpg and longevity. Not trying to make more horse.

Old 09-27-2017, 02:33 PM
Justin@DP-Tuner
PREMIUM SPONSOR
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
The AFE filter they offer with the kit would be a decent choice. Not a fan of the paper 6637 filter myself, as I had problems with mold/mildew on the filter when I ran it. It is basically open to the elements since it is not enclosed in any sort of box.

I personally run the S&B intake now. Much quieter and cleaner looking too.

You probably won't notice a huge difference with just and intake on a bone stock truck. Upgrading the intake and exhaust are mainly supporting mods for higher HP. You might notice a slight drop in EGT's and a little power bump if you upgraded both the intake and exhaust though.

Like us on Facebook!

www.dp-tuner.com
Old 09-27-2017, 02:38 PM
MTP55
More Turbo
Truck has fairly new exhaust. It was put back to stock by PO. Air filter is about due to be changed and was looking to see if there was something reasonable that was better than the Motorcraft filter..

Old 09-27-2017, 02:43 PM
Jo7.3
Laughing Gas
Received 102 Likes on 80 Posts
I've ran 2 other intakes besides the stock. First I ran the 6637. It most likely filtered better than stock, but it was LOUD. I also didn't like how it was open to all the elements.
I now have the AIS intake, and prefer it a lot more over the 6637. It's much quieter, isn't open to the elements, and filters better than stock and most likely better than the 6637. The AIS also draws air in from behind the grille like the stock location instead of the hot engine air like the 6637.

Old 09-27-2017, 02:52 PM
Justin@DP-Tuner
PREMIUM SPONSOR
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally Posted by Jo7.3
I've ran 2 other intakes besides the stock. First I ran the 6637. It most likely filtered better than stock, but it was LOUD. I also didn't like how it was open to all the elements.
I now have the AIS intake, and prefer it a lot more over the 6637. It's much quieter, isn't open to the elements, and filters better than stock and most likely better than the 6637. The AIS also draws air in from behind the grille like the stock location instead of the hot engine air like the 6637.
Yes, the Ford AIS would be another option if you plan on staying bone stock. Good filtration and extended filter changes.

They aren't the best choice for high HP applications, as they can be a restriction point without modification to the air box. But for stock applications, they work just fine.

Like us on Facebook!

www.dp-tuner.com
Old 09-27-2017, 05:31 PM
binuya
Fleet Mechanic

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
Originally Posted by MTP55
looking to see if there was something reasonable that was better than the Motorcraft filter..
Running stock, there's nothing wrong with the factory filter itself. The problem is with the housing. It has a tendency to warp around the filter panel allowing dirt to enter around it. Mine was warped and with a swipe of my finger inside the post filter intake tube, I could feel gritty residue. I went with the S&B, and I am really happy with it. My oil analysis reports always come back great, and there's no more detectable contaminants getting past the filter. Peek inside and look at your intake tube and turbo fins. Then you can decide if you need to upgrade to one of several choices. Longevity, yes, but you're not going to do much for MPG with intake alone.

Old 09-28-2017, 02:25 AM
268Fords
Senior User
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
The 6637 was the first upgrade I did years ago. After a year running the 6637, I decided to put the stock air filter back on just for the hell of it(new air filter). The dirty 6637 flowed so much more air it was amazing. The stock filter vs. the 6637 really made a huge difference in how the truck performed. I removed the stock filter and housing and never looked back.

Old 09-28-2017, 08:00 AM
HD Rider
Cargo Master
Received 7 Likes on 6 Posts
My truck had a 6637 on it when i bought it. Way too LOUD!
I put a Ford AIS on and ran that for a few years. It was very nice, quiet and looked OEM.
After upgrading to a 38R turbo it did not flow enough air so I went with a S&B. It is still pretty quiet compared to the 6637 and flows plenty of air to keep my turbo happy.

If you are sticking with your stock turbo the AIS gets my vote. I know it's more money than a 6637 but it offers the best filtration out there and you will still be able to visit with your passengers without yelling.

Old 09-28-2017, 08:33 AM
Sous
Fleet Owner
Received 4,464 Likes on 2,853 Posts
I have the Ford AIS and it runs and looks great with an upgraded stock turbo and stock injectors. Although, when I change both of those out for KC38R and 160/80 injectors I will go with the S&B intake.

I also have the foam cone (total rip off, get a foam filter from HD and make it fit) on the side. It is a great filter and housing that flows very well for a stock setup, but have read multiple reports of it being too restrictive when upgrading critical fuel and air parts of the truck.

Old 09-28-2017, 09:47 AM
CousinCarl
Laughing Gas
Received 180 Likes on 116 Posts
I run the 6637 but not the Napa filter. I have the Donaldson B085011, which is superior to the Napa 6637 or the Wix 36637. The Donaldson blue, exclusive to RR, is even better and what I will go with when this Donaldson needs replaced.

The RR kit is a good price point including everything you need with a pre filter also. I pieced together my own kit off amazon to save $20 or $30 to see if I could stand the noise everyone complains about.

The AIS filters the best but has a ceiling in hp mods, think it tops out at supporting 375hp.

S&B is the way to go if budget allows.

Old 03-24-2018, 09:11 AM
MTP55
More Turbo
I plan to swap to the AIS intake from the factory one after seeing what was in my intake tube. If my exhaust ever rots off, which is inevitable here, I've been told to just straight pipe the truck. Local diesel guy, who I don't let touch my truck, said that if I made the exhaust larger and no muffler that the AIS wouldn't play well with it. It sounded like bologna to me. So would I be fine if I ever eliminated the muffler and had the AIS in place?

Old 03-24-2018, 09:17 AM
Bill Kay
More Turbo
Received 8 Likes on 6 Posts
You would be fine and not letting that local diesel guy touch your truck would also be fine.

Old 03-24-2018, 09:23 AM
Walleye Hunter
Hotshot
Received 888 Likes on 625 Posts
The AIS will be fine unless/until you go with bigger injectors, then you might need more air than it will let through.

Old 03-24-2018, 09:27 AM
MTP55
More Turbo
Thanks guys. If I swap injectors I'm just going to put the ADs back in.

Not sure what his deal is, he used to be pretty good I guess. I prefer doing it myself anyway. I learn more that way and then if something goes wrong I'm not out $100/hour and can only blame myself.

Old 03-24-2018, 09:35 AM
brandon_oma#692
Fleet Mechanic
Received 24 Likes on 11 Posts
I have had both the white and now the blue Donaldson filters. Happy so far. I would not mind trying the s&b to see if I notice a difference as I never thought it was overly loud but I am the minority with that opinion.

I did get a turbo wheel dinged up but I think it happened running it with no filter. While swapping injectors.

Quick Reply: Air intake