Modular V10 (6.8l)  

EVAP Readiness Problem - Frustrated trying, now what?

Search this Thread

Old 07-21-2017, 12:13 PM
The Tiger
Mountain Pass
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
EVAP Readiness Problem - Frustrated trying, now what?

Background: I need to have my emissions inspection to renew my registration

I normally run a 5 star tune so I went to switch it back to the stock tune and noticed I had an EVAP System trouble code. I cleared the code and changed the gas cap. The EVAP code did not return, its been 500 miles but now I'm stuck with a readiness code and I've determined through my scan tool that it is the EVAP monitor that is not ready.

I've run through the drive cycle more times than I recall. I just got back from doing the EVAP part twice. The monitor is still not ready.

This is not my daily driver and I'm tired of driving it around the city, and its an expensive commuter vehicle and it doesn't fit in my parking lot a work. I've been parking around the corner from my office and walking 4 blocks each way. Truck is low miles, I just hit 69k miles on it today.

Problem Now:

I was told California doesn't require the EVAP system to be ready per se. However, there is a dilemma. There are 2 types of emissions inspection stations. The "regular" and the "star certified" stations. I'm required to do to the "star certified" station this time according to the State of California. No choice there.

I was told by the local Star certified station that failing an EVAP test and passing me would hurt his certification and he did not want to do that. I don't understand this process and Googling it has been useless.

Does this mean if I go to a smog station they will fail me to protect their certification? That sounds like what he was suggesting. He said it is hard to maintain the "Star Certification" and he wont risk losing it.

He said he was familiar with Fords and that he would be willing to diagnose the EVAP system. I AM willing to pay for that. I've wasted too much time and money (gas) already trying to get this done. I can afford it, I just need my truck to work.

Any advice?

Old 07-21-2017, 09:32 PM
super 6.8
Fleet Mechanic
Received 68 Likes on 49 Posts
My suggestion is to move out of the communist state.

Old 07-22-2017, 12:12 AM
Sam I Am
Posting Guru
Received 11 Likes on 11 Posts
What was the code?

Old 07-22-2017, 07:20 AM
projectSHO89
Hotshot
Received 875 Likes on 727 Posts
I was told by the local Star certified station that failing an EVAP test and passing me would hurt his certification
A simple "not ready" with no DTCs on the EVAP system is not a cause for e-test rejection (it's not a failure, it's a "not ready"), even in California. Call BAR for more information.

Are you certain your vehicle is OBDII/California calibration? Check the label on the underside of the hood.

Old 07-22-2017, 09:34 AM
krewat
Site Administrator
Received 298 Likes on 157 Posts
yes, definitely check the underhood sticker and make sure it's either OBD-I (will never be "ready") or OBD-II.

Old 07-22-2017, 10:25 PM
The Tiger
Mountain Pass
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Short Answer: I smog tech on another forum told me I should be good to go if only the EVAP monitor was not ready. I took it in to a NEW shop this morning and it passed.

Longer Answer: Truck was showing the P1000 not ready code. And it showed the EVAP monitor not ready. I even verified that code was still there in the parking lot of the smog shop before I walked in the door. I was using three different code scanners that I own. My SCT X4, An Ultra-Gauge, and a parts store bought hand held.

My truck's emissions label says California OBD II

Apparently California smog shops are graded and if they pass too many vehicles like mine it could hurt their certification. The smog tech from the other unnamed forum said it would have to be a lot of vehicles to cause a problem and he sees it all the time. He said he thinks a smog shop that worries about that is being silly.

He was right, the truck passed. I went in to a new shop that I've never been to. I didn't tell them anything and just let them test it.