Elder User
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
TX Bump Owners

Are these trucks emissions exempt?

Old 07-20-2017, 12:54 PM
jas88
Lead Driver

Received 356 Likes on 286 Posts
Yes, sort of. They cannot be tested for compliance with the sniffer, but they are, ostensibly, visually checked to see if the anti-pollution components they came with from the factory are in place. This is the case for any vehicle over 25 YOA in Texas.

Old 07-20-2017, 12:58 PM
pchelp
Elder User
Originally Posted by jas88
Yes, sort of. They cannot be tested for compliance with the sniffer, but they are, ostensibly, visually checked to see if the anti-pollution components they came with from the factory are in place. This is the case for any vehicle over 25 YOA in Texas.
Thank you jas88, so on my 69' they will be checking just the basic's? lights, horn, brakes etc ?

Old 07-21-2017, 06:28 AM
Salty Dog
Elder User
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
http://www.dmv.org/tx-texas/smog-check.php

Testing is required only in the following areas/counties:

Austin-Round Rock: Travis. Williamson.
Houston-Galveston-Brazoria: Brazoria. Fort Bend. Galveston. Harris. Montgomery.
Dallas-Fort Worth: Collin. Dallas. Denton. Ellis. Johnson. Kaufman. Parker. Rockwall. Tarrant.
El Paso: El Paso.

I would suggest registering it as a antique automobile. Then you can find some some original 69 plates or use the ones from the state. They look pretty good imo. Plus they last 3 years instead of 1. This will exempt you from any emissions testing as well.

Old 07-21-2017, 07:41 AM
jas88
Lead Driver

Received 356 Likes on 286 Posts
Thank you jas88, so on my 69' they will be checking just the basic's? lights, horn, brakes etc ?
Like I said, they are supposed to *visually* inspect to see if your factory emissions equipment (which, on a '69 is the PCV valve only) is in place but I doubt they will. They will NOT put a sniffer up your tailpipe, unless they are a crooked shop and are trying to gouge you.

SD is correct that if you register as an antique, then there is no safety inspection of any kind required.

Where in Texas are you?

Old 07-21-2017, 08:37 AM
pchelp
Elder User
Originally Posted by Salty Dog
Texas Smog Check and Car Inspection | DMV.org

Testing is required only in the following areas/counties:

Austin-Round Rock: Travis. Williamson.
Houston-Galveston-Brazoria: Brazoria. Fort Bend. Galveston. Harris. Montgomery.
Dallas-Fort Worth: Collin. Dallas. Denton. Ellis. Johnson. Kaufman. Parker. Rockwall. Tarrant.
El Paso: El Paso.

I would suggest registering it as a antique automobile. Then you can find some some original 69 plates or use the ones from the state. They look pretty good imo. Plus they last 3 years instead of 1. This will exempt you from any emissions testing as well.
Thank you Salty, very helpful information. Would you know if there is a difference between "antique" and "classic" ? The plate on the truck now say "classic" across the top.

Old 07-21-2017, 08:39 AM
pchelp
Elder User
Originally Posted by jas88
Like I said, they are supposed to *visually* inspect to see if your factory emissions equipment (which, on a '69 is the PCV valve only) is in place but I doubt they will. They will NOT put a sniffer up your tailpipe, unless they are a crooked shop and are trying to gouge you.

SD is correct that if you register as an antique, then there is no safety inspection of any kind required.

Where in Texas are you?
I guess my biggest challenge is to find an inspection station that doesn't just have someone on their summer vacation doing part time work. I am just north of Fort Worth

Old 07-21-2017, 09:09 AM
Salty Dog
Elder User
Originally Posted by pchelp
Thank you Salty, very helpful information. Would you know if there is a difference between "antique" and "classic" ? The plate on the truck now say "classic" across the top.
PER TX DMV... Types of Special Plates in Texas | DMV.org

Antique license plates for vehicles that are:
At least 25 years old.
Driven ONLY for events and vehicle maintenance. <LOOPHOLE

Classic plates for vehicles that are:
At least 25 years old.
Driven for regular transportation.

Basically If you register it as a classic you have to get it inspected and you are allowed to drive it anywhere anytime.

If you register it as an Antique no inspection is required and by law you are only allowed to drive it in parades, to and from special events, to and from a garage for service or repair etc..... last 5 years not 3 actually.

I'm currently running antique plates on both of my antiques and could drive them daily with no hassles. I will say there is a TON of classic cars in my area and everyone runs those plates.

If you run vintage 69 plates you do have to have both plates when you register it but only have to run one on the back. They probably want to make sure someone else doesn't try to register a vehicle with the other matching plate.

Old 07-21-2017, 09:10 AM
Salty Dog
Elder User
Originally Posted by pchelp
I guess my biggest challenge is to find an inspection station that doesn't just have someone on their summer vacation doing part time work. I am just north of Fort Worth
When I took mine to inspection, not knowing it didn't even have to have it, the kid at the Ford house wouldn't drive it because it had a column shift.

Old 07-21-2017, 09:44 AM
pchelp
Elder User
When I took mine to inspection, not knowing it didn't even have to have it, the kid at the Ford house wouldn't drive it because it had a column shift.
HAHAHAHAHA !! I know what you mean, this is a true story, I took my '55 Cheby in for it's first inspection and no one knew how to operate the push button floor starter

Old 07-21-2017, 09:47 AM
pchelp
Elder User
PER TX DMV... Types of Special Plates in Texas | DMV.org

Antique license plates for vehicles that are:
At least 25 years old.
Driven ONLY for events and vehicle maintenance. <LOOPHOLE

Classic plates for vehicles that are:
At least 25 years old.
Driven for regular transportation.

Basically If you register it as a classic you have to get it inspected and you are allowed to drive it anywhere anytime.

If you register it as an Antique no inspection is required and by law you are only allowed to drive it in parades, to and from special events, to and from a garage for service or repair etc..... last 5 years not 3 actually.

I'm currently running antique plates on both of my antiques and could drive them daily with no hassles. I will say there is a TON of classic cars in my area and everyone runs those plates.

If you run vintage 69 plates you do have to have both plates when you register it but only have to run one on the back. They probably want to make sure someone else doesn't try to register a vehicle with the other matching plate.
Salty you're just a plethora of useful knowledge !! Where in Texas are you? Is that a pic of your pitty? How long were you in the Navy ?

Old 07-21-2017, 11:04 AM
Salty Dog
Elder User
Thanks bud! Im in Buda, it's right by Austin. I'm from a west Texas town by Abilene. I DO NOT own a pit. I have a blue heeler and a mini schnauzer LOL

When I first signed up for this forum I had just taken some pics of my buddys pit. Good looking pit so I used him for my profile pic.

Who says I was in the Navy?

Old 07-21-2017, 11:21 AM
pchelp
Elder User
Thanks bud! Im in Buda, it's right by Austin. I'm from a west Texas town by Abilene. I DO NOT own a pit. I have a blue heeler and a mini schnauzer LOL

When I first signed up for this forum I had just taken some pics of my buddys pit. Good looking pit so I used him for my profile pic.

Who says I was in the Navy?
I was reading too much into your Avatar, I have two pitties. An old "Salt"
usually refers to an old Navy LOL

Old 07-21-2017, 11:37 AM
TeachNlive4ever
Cargo Master
Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts
Where I go, I drive in, honk at the guy, I get and inspection sheet, tip the guy as the $7 goes to the state.

Old 07-21-2017, 11:41 AM
pchelp
Elder User
Originally Posted by TeachNlive4ever
Where I go, I drive in, honk at the guy, I get and inspection sheet, tip the guy as the $7 goes to the state.
Ok now I got to ask... what was the tip?

Quick Reply: TX Bump Owners