6.0L Power Stroke Diesel 2003 - 2007 F250, F350 pickup and F350+ Cab Chassis, 2003 - 2005 Excursion and 2003 - 2009 van

Got Codes?! I do.... :-/

Search this Thread

Old 05-26-2017, 11:35 AM
diesel_dan
Lead Driver
Received 421 Likes on 279 Posts
Got Codes?! I do.... :-/

So last night wife texts me pict of dash with CEL lit up...

She was on the way home with horse in tow from a short haul to a nearby riding area. Truck has been in this service for more than a month and also sitting a lot. It has extremely low miles and wife tows horse with a soft pedal Always. I do try and take it out and exercise it, but that has been at least a couple months now.

Checked codes and ignoring a bunch of soft and repeat codes, got:

Current: P0299 - which is under/over boost usually, right?
Pending: P0478 - EBP high

So idled truck and all realtime info looked pretty normal, I think EBP was around 19, I realized I'm not watching Baro, I'll add that.

Turbo was cleaned about 5K miles, but several years ago. So quick advice from y'all?

Was going to: clear codes, unhook trailer and take truck for a good drive, including some WOT romps and see what happens...? Or?

I could set up data logging for boost, baro, ebp, rpm, and ?, prior to the drive...

I guess eventually your "turn" comes up...

Thanks, Scott

Old 05-26-2017, 12:20 PM
bismic
Fleet Owner
Received 2,514 Likes on 1,747 Posts
Scott -

Have you noticed anything different on your boost (lower or higher than normal)?

EBP at hot idle is a very small amount high, but not much (typically 17-18 in my truck).

Since the P0299 is so hard to troubleshoot, the 1st thing to do (IMO) is to make sure you don't see any evidence of leaks (intake, CAC, boost). Even check the end seals on the CAC itself (if it is leaking, you can usually see a blue or orange seal popping out).

Then make sure the MAP sensor hose is not cracked or loose/old/etc; and clean out the EBP tube.

Always good to compare the EBP/Baro/MAP at KOEO and then check the values at idle.

MAF values should be around 1.5V at high idle IIRC.

Old 05-26-2017, 12:29 PM
diesel_dan
Lead Driver
Thanks for the reply Mark! I was think I should clean the EBP tube - not sure how often that needs to be done...

Last time I took it out for a romp with Torque on so I could see max boost it was like 27.2 psi and it was running fantastic. Funny, maybe it is from not driving it much lately, but idle vibration seemed more than normal last night -- engine sounded fine, just seat-of-the pants feel, could be in my pants though .

Didn't have time to do more than pull codes last night. I'll check some things over and drive it and bring it up to the house for more inspection...

Thanks again,
Scott

Old 05-26-2017, 12:48 PM
bismic
Fleet Owner
I hadn't ever cleaned my EBP tube until a few weeks ago. Hadn't had any codes, just wanted to do it to see. The tube and sensor were fairly dirty.

I haven't cleaned my turbo yet either.

194k miles. That said, I don't make a lot of short trips. Almost always drive far enough to get everything up to temp.

Old 05-26-2017, 01:29 PM
diesel_dan
Lead Driver
Gotta' run the wife to pick up her truck. So: I need to look for where the MAP tube is -- I did check CAC tubes, etc. and loaded up several data points to monitor.

Question on MAF: the one I picked for torque reads in CFM and was around 300 at at start-up and then 280 at idle or so just running it 2 minutes up to the house (still cold).

At koeo: Baro= 13.6; EBP= 13.7; MAP= 13.8

Going to reset Codes and take it for a run and data log. I'll report back -- thanks for the help....

Scott

Old 05-26-2017, 03:01 PM
bismic
Fleet Owner
My posted MAF value was in volts and at high idle, not low idle according to my notes.

I will have to look for a CFM value.

Old 05-26-2017, 04:39 PM
diesel_dan
Lead Driver
Case of not driving it HARD enough...

So I'm back, with some datafiles... There is NO problem -- I'll jump to that and then share what I have...

First off, before clearing any codes and a semi-cold start (ran it for 2 minutes to get to house and shut down): BARO=13.63; EBP=13.77; MAP=13.85; Intake Manifold Pressure=13.78 (another PID that the truck showed was available).

One second 160RPM start and then MAF is 268 and VGT is 75.3%. Within seconds EBP settles in at 16.5 to 17 and all the other pressures I'm capturing are in the 16.8 range....

Drive about a mile to highway and moderate acceleration feels a bit anemic. CEL is still set and boost hits 16.7, max rpm is 2500ish.

Two miles to drop off point and truck is warming up, so I idle and reset all Faults. About 8 minutes into drive at idle: RPM=693, Baro=13.78, boost=.68, EBP=16.35, MAP=14.28, MAF=187, VGT=74.75%.

Take a few minutes to amble through the parking lot out to the intersecting highway, check temps and he's in the 180ECT and 150EOT range, warm enough to romp on it, about 12 minutes of run time : moderate at first and then trounce on the go pedal. Max RPM was 3028 but Boost hit 28.31.

And whadayano: VGT had been going down to hi30s and then wham! a one second hit to 15%, and then we see it start varying in the 20s. By golly, I think we broke some carbon free!!

Then I took a nice wake-up drive up-country to a favorite lunch spot. Max RPM hit=3604, max boost=27.62.

Fully warmed after drive up and at idle: rpm=690, boost=.21, BARO=13.34, EBP=15.73, MAP=13.85, VGT=73%

I think we have a GOOD case of you better drive it like you stole it every so often

Thanks for your help and Mark: I found a significant chafing point on the Alt Hot line (not the one I did): so this was good for more than one thing.

I'm spending time under the hood tomorrow just to look for more gotcha's like that...

Feel like I dodged a bullet, I do, this calls for a brewski

Best,
Scott

Last edited by diesel_dan; 05-26-2017 at 05:16 PM. Reason: correct spelling
Old 05-26-2017, 04:42 PM
bismic
Fleet Owner
Sounds great! Best way to fix a problem!

Old 05-27-2017, 08:55 AM
mustang_309
Postmaster
Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
I had the P0299 a couple of months back and all the numbers checked out, so I pulled the turbo and cleaned it and found the unison ring to be stuck to the center rotating section housing and after cleaning everything up I found a lot of pitting and decided to install a new turbo. The unison ring was in perfect shape in all respects and the cam pin that moves it was also undamaged but with the amount of pitting I didn't feel good about running it. The one thing I did notice was the VGT% hunting while under steady throttle and even at idle.

Old 05-27-2017, 09:05 AM
bismic
Fleet Owner
Originally Posted by mustang_309
I had the P0299 a couple of months back and all the numbers checked out, so I pulled the turbo and cleaned it and found the unison ring to be stuck to the center rotating section housing and after cleaning everything up I found a lot of pitting and decided to install a new turbo. The unison ring was in perfect shape in all respects and the cam pin that moves it was also undamaged but with the amount of pitting I didn't feel good about running it. The one thing I did notice was the VGT% hunting while under steady throttle and even at idle.
I can't wait until I can justify another turbo !!!!!

Several good choices out there, both Barder and KCTurbo have some good options for sure.

Old 05-27-2017, 09:15 AM
mustang_309
Postmaster
Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
Originally Posted by bismic
I can't wait until I can justify another turbo !!!!!

Several good choices out there, both Barder and KCTurbo have some good options for sure.
I just went with the brand new Garrett direct replacement from XDP for 770 bucks and it even came with a new VGT solenoid valve to boot

Old 05-27-2017, 09:25 AM
bismic
Fleet Owner
For sure - that is the way to go for stock turbos!

Old 05-27-2017, 12:01 PM
diesel_dan
Lead Driver
Originally Posted by mustang_309
And here I was having such a nice parade before you had to go rain on it...

Seriously: Thanks for the heads up and I will look for that too. Maybe these things need cleaning/inspection more often than we think...

Scott

Old 05-27-2017, 12:10 PM
amdriven2liv
I'm hitting easy street

Received 21 Likes on 16 Posts
Scott, does your truck have the updated program that exercises the turbo?

As for use it or lose it, my truck went through 3 turbos in 5 years according to the Oasis report before I bought it. The original owner only drove 28,000 in 5 years. It would sit for more than 6 months of the year.

Old 05-27-2017, 12:57 PM
diesel_dan
Lead Driver
Originally Posted by amdriven2liv
Scott, does your truck have the updated program that exercises the turbo?

As for use it or lose it, my truck went through 3 turbos in 5 years according to the Oasis report before I bought it. The original owner only drove 28,000 in 5 years. It would sit for more than 6 months of the year.
I don't know -- everytime it went in to the dealer, I specifically asked them not to perform any flashes. But I don't have a way to get either PCM or FICM strategy. Unless Forscan can pull those?

I've just gone back a little slower in my data files. And then I referenced the "recommended temps and pressures,etc." thread in the Tech folder. I see the comment that on a stock tune you should never see VGT% at 15 or 85 and I see both! I was looking for how stable it was at idle, so I also wanted to know what qualifies as "hunting".

Is the exercise program run just at start up, or does it do it every once in awhile? I would think I would have seen the VGT go full range at start or koeo, and I'm not (unless it is quicker than the 3/10ths of a second capture rate I'm running at)...

More questions.... Ohhh boy...

Quick Reply: Got Codes?! I do.... :-/