1948 - 1956 F1, F100 & Larger F-Series Trucks Discuss the Fat Fendered and Classic Ford Trucks

55 stock Side Glass Removal

Search this Thread

Old 05-23-2017, 09:17 PM
Harrier
Lead Driver
Received 765 Likes on 375 Posts
55 stock Side Glass Removal

My door glass is broken and I'm looking at replacing it so I don't have to worry as much about the weather. I can't figure out how to get the channel off the regulator.
The book says (Hey, I'm reading the manual!!) that I need to lower the division bar. If that's the case I wonder if I need to just replace it. ($$) I can't imagine it dropping down smooth.

Here is who to remove the glass. "Lower the door glass and disconnect the regulator arms from the rollers. It is not necessary to completely disassemble the rollers to disconnect the regulator arms. Pull the spring retainer out of each roller just far enough to release the regulator arms. After the regulator arms have been released, press the spring retainers back into position on the rollers."

I am working on the spare window regulator I have for practice. I removed the clips and the rollers now spread wider. I just can't figure out how to get the window channel off the regulator to release the glass.

Now for pictures:
Rollers in normal tight position.

Rollers with spring compressed.

What remains of the clips.

Here is my regulator waiting for me to get educated

I will need to do both sides at some point. The passenger side glass is cracked but still rolls up.
Any tips?

Old 05-23-2017, 11:12 PM
BTclassics
Senior User
Received 27 Likes on 22 Posts
Once the spring retainer is out, you should be able to slide the window channel lift off the 2 window regulator pins that go through the rollers. Ie. Push the channel towards the door. The rollers might be a little stuck on. With no glass, you should be able to unscrew the 4 bolts and remove the entire window regulator out of the door if you wanted to.

Old 06-30-2017, 04:48 PM
Harrier
Lead Driver
I've made progress on this and thought I would share pictures for people going through this.
Getting the clips out of the rollers was a booger. One was rotated 90 degrees. Once I figured that out, it was a little easier. Fortunately, once the clips were completely out, the rollers came off the pin. The spare one in the pictures above is not being so kind.

Here are the rollers. Notice there is not much space to grab the clips.

My window channel.

I got the glass tape out and quickly ran over the channel with a wire brush. It cleaned up really well considering the state it is in. I still need to get the remaining glass out. I will need to drop the division bar to get that glass out. I could break it, but the division bar needs to come down to install new glass anyway.

Old 06-30-2017, 07:33 PM
abe
One Meadow Green Owner

Received 2,616 Likes on 1,456 Posts
Atta boy, Joe. If you are getting the glass cut at an auto glass place I would have them seat the glass in the window channel.

Old 07-02-2017, 09:33 PM
Harrier
Lead Driver
Abe, I have one glass and need to get another one. I was leaning toward purchasing one designed for the truck, but I might go ahead and see if a local glass shop can make one and I could get some glass seat tape there.
I spent a few minutes on this tonight. I got the division bar loosened and removed the rest of the glass.
There are two screws on the top of the door and you have to pull down the window channel a bit to get the top part of the division bar down.
There is a screw in the middle of the door and two nuts on the bottom. For the nuts on the bottom the head of the bolt and the nut were different sizes. Once I snaked a wrench on the bolt head, it came of pretty easy.

I really need to replace the window channels. There is nothing in them now and they are rusted and weak now.

Old 07-02-2017, 09:55 PM
abe
One Meadow Green Owner

You got it Joe! Call that place I gave you the website for the window channel. I think you can get the anti rattlers and the back and upper glass run from them.

I would definitely get my window cut at a local glass shop and have them put the glass in the window channel for you. I've got at least four windows cut locally over the years.

PS: then you can tell me how the glass runs and fuzzies are.... I'll have to dontbe for my 55 next winter.

Old 07-02-2017, 10:21 PM
df85732
Fleet Mechanic
Received 110 Likes on 60 Posts
If you put the glass in yourself Joe, don't make the mistake I did I was concentrating so hard on getting the glass in the channel I didn't pay attention to it's orientation. The glass is nearly square with one round corner. There are only two ways to put it in. And yes I choose the wrong way. I could tell because the Fomco etching on the glass was vertical and not horizontal. I struggled with it so much I decided not to re-due it and wait till I do the body work. So far I have found the door latches and glass to be very tedious. I prefer to scrape and grind.

Old 07-08-2017, 01:18 PM
Harrier
Lead Driver
I cleaned up my window channel and put the rollers back in. It was a bit of a pain to get the clip back on until I figured out the correct way to do it.
Here is a shot of how you should install the clip. Hook it in on one side then spread it to seat on the other side. Picture is showing with out everything on it so you can see it better.

Here is a roller installed on the window channel.

There is really not much in the hole when the clip is installed. When you want to remove, like the manual says, don't pull the clip completely out. Kind of hard to see, but the first picture is in the locked position and the second is so you can remove from the regulator. Note that the clip doesn't move much between the two positions.

Old 07-08-2017, 01:29 PM
df85732
Fleet Mechanic
You do such a good job of explaining and relating it to the pictures Joe. Nice job. I tried to do that with my fuel pump rebuild and it was a flop. I think I just get "in to it to much" and the next thing you know I'm done with it. Those channel look really good! How did you clean them up? Are you going to paint them?

Old 07-08-2017, 01:31 PM
abe
One Meadow Green Owner

Good tutorial Joe! Thanks. I'll be doing this to my 55 hopefully this winter. I'll be replacing all the glass runs and anti rattler fuzzies. I am gonna paint my division bar. Joe if you figure out a way to get the division bar back in without scratching the paint on it, let me know! Perhaps masking tape on the painted section of the bar?

Old 07-08-2017, 02:15 PM
Harrier
Lead Driver
The channel is painted. I just too a wire brush to it and the rusty metal primer and Ford Argent (Well called silver now) I didn't want to paint it black so it would show up better as I'm working on it in the door.

Abe, I'm getting the glass runs from KC Obsolete Parts. They are hosting the show in Branson and will have them there for me. I think he can get non-shiny division bars. I have decided to reuse mine. I'm getting the generic kind and they are not expensive and don't have a shiny bead. The anti-rattlers, I think will not have a stainless bead as well. I will take pictures of those when I get to that.

The division bar is a huge pain. I got it loose, but I can't get it out and probably won't. I managed to get it back up in position once and it was difficult. I'm not sure how it will work with the glass being put in.

The

Old 07-08-2017, 03:43 PM
abe
One Meadow Green Owner

Originally Posted by Harrier
The channel is painted. I just too a wire brush to it and the rusty metal primer and Ford Argent (Well called silver now) I didn't want to paint it black so it would show up better as I'm working on it in the door.

Abe, I'm getting the glass runs from KC Obsolete Parts. They are hosting the show in Branson and will have them there for me. I think he can get non-shiny division bars. I have decided to reuse mine. I'm getting the generic kind and they are not expensive and don't have a shiny bead. The anti-rattlers, I think will not have a stainless bead as well. I will take pictures of those when I get to that.

The division bar is a huge pain. I got it loose, but I can't get it out and probably won't. I managed to get it back up in position once and it was difficult. I'm not sure how it will work with the glass being put in.

The
they are a pain.you have to have it turned just right, at the right angle to get it out. When I redid my 54 last winter (2015-16) I didn't take them out to paint. I cheated and used a good brush and gloss black oil paint that flowed nice and painted them in place!

but the ones in my 55 need sanded and the glass runs put in so they gotta come out.

Old 07-10-2017, 07:49 PM
Harrier
Lead Driver
Abe, I'm going to need to put some glass runs in my division bars as well. I hadn't thought about that, there is really nothing there now.

I got window glass and channel rubber. I was impressed with the packaging from LMC Truck and shipping for glass only was just $10. Other's had more expensive glass plus oversize shipping. It might help that I live only 3 hours from them.

I installed the channel rubber. It was a cut to fit rubber and I should have enough to do three or so windows. That's good because I might need to redo this when I put in the glass runs.

I initially set the window in the channel. Later I ended up taking it off as I was trying to line everything up.

When you are putting this in, be sure to see the direction of the clips so you can close them up. It was a tight fit for the window and I was worried about scratching the glass on the regulator posts. Hence the rags. The division bar was a pain and getting everything lined up was a challenge. It would have been easier if I had someone to help hold the glass while I was doing this.

One step closer to staying dry on my drive in a couple of days.

Old 07-10-2017, 09:15 PM
df85732
Fleet Mechanic
Look'n good Joe. I know what you mean about an extra hand! I had to walk away a few times when I replaced my drivers widow. One of the most agitating activities I have performed on my truck so far.

Probably a better chance you'll be driving around with the window down than up. Hot and Dry around here!