What size auxiliary fuel tank do you have?

Search this Thread

Old 10-17-2016, 12:36 PM
DL222
Senior User
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
The fitting going to the fuel system has to go down rather than coming straight out as in the past, be careful of the width of box since the new bed comes in a lot at the bottom.[/QUOTE]

You are correct on box width my 60 ga is just too tight. I have a RDS 74026 50gal coming it's 48x20x19.

Is there anyway I could get a picture of how you hook it up underneath.

Or does anyone else have a picture on how they hooked it up underneath.

Old 10-17-2016, 11:44 PM
87crewdually
Lead Driver
Received 90 Likes on 65 Posts
I too run the 91 gallon RDS tank/tool combo. That combined with the 38 gallon stock tank I can run from NJ to FL without having to stop. The beauty is you shop and stop for lowest price diesel anywhere in between to your destination. It also will fit under a tonneau cover.
I have it plumbed out of the top through the hole in the bed stake pocket to the underneath. I have an electronic valve and fuel pump plumbed in line to fill my main tank. Pump/valve is turned on by the upfitter switch. I also have a filter inline.
I don't have a pic of the plumbing right now but I just "T"ed into the vent line up near the fill.

Old 10-20-2016, 07:56 AM
ct diesel
Posting Guru
Received 2 Likes on 1 Post
Question: Solenoid What does it do, and is it the best way to go with the RDS auxiliary 60 gal. tank in a short bed?

Old 10-20-2016, 09:07 AM
Slyhuntr
Senior User
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally Posted by ct diesel
Question: Solenoid What does it do, and is it the best way to go with the RDS auxiliary 60 gal. tank in a short bed?
If you are referring to the 12v solenoid valve it is the valve that would feed to your truck tank with a flip of a switch from the cab. Ours had this setup and I tried it a couple of times but the valve they installed had too small of a port to allow a good flow, also the coil got so hot I was afraid it was going to cause a fire. I removed it and installed a ball valve in its place. HTH.

Old 10-20-2016, 10:24 AM
ssunit1
Laughing Gas
Received 38 Likes on 27 Posts
Originally Posted by ct diesel

The solenoid stops the flow of fuel from the aux tank to the main tank when shut off. It has to be on to open the valve and allow the flow.
So you have to run power to it and put in a switch. Not all that hard to do and I have see pictures of some nice setups on some threads.
I put in a RDS aux tank and have the gravity feed. I have used it for a few months now and no issues or leaks, which was my main concern.
I actually bought a solenoid that I was going to put in so I wouldn't have to open and close the manual valve at the aux tank. But after I bought it and then after I read some FTE comments about gravity feed and then after I finally got around to the install and then after I waited a few weeks to see if I noticed any puddles of diesel and then after I decided not to install the valve because all seems good I now have a new unused solenoid valve sitting on my garage shelf because I am past the window to return it...

Old 10-20-2016, 12:48 PM
ct diesel
Posting Guru
I guess the solenoid is out...

thanks. I like simple.

Old 10-21-2016, 12:14 AM
87crewdually
Lead Driver
Received 90 Likes on 65 Posts
I plumbed in a solinoid valve for two reasons. For one it is a fail safe from overfilling and gIves me control so I can keep better track of fuel usage without having to stop to check. I also had an incident where I asked my son to flip the valve and said he did. Well after 20 minutes and my gauge got lower instead of filling I thought it must be empty. So of course where I got of the Interstate fuel at the time there was 45 cents more a gallon than where I'd normally fill up. So as I fill the stock tank @ 4.65 a gallon (back then) I observed the valve. It was OFF! He never turned it. I paid and got back on the road. The rest of the trip was a quiet one.
Now it's a flip of a switch and all on me without stopping.
The 1/4 npt solenoid valves I use are affordable on Amazon and rated for diesel. I also use them for my on board air system for filling and dumping the rear airbags.

Old 10-21-2016, 06:07 AM
Magnolia Tom
Elder User
Originally Posted by invstr55
Pictures of installed RDS 40 gal

The fitting going to the fuel system has to go down rather than coming straight out as in the past, be careful of the width of box since the new bed comes in a lot at the bottom.
How do you like the curt hitch? I just got a q25 and haven't towed with it yet. I have a similar set up with an RDS 45 gallon tank

Old 10-21-2016, 02:39 PM
ct diesel
Posting Guru
Well it's been quite a day. My buddy Jim is going through the same things as I am in finding things out about the Auxiliary tank. First he went to the local diesel shop up in MA. and they told him they lost there shirt trying to get these tanks in that don't fit and won't do any more. I'm going to contact my RV guy and see what he thinks.

HELP PLEASE
the main thing that he did today was contact FORD for info and they told him that if he goes into the fuel tank pipe to install the tank it will null and void the fuel portion of his warranty. No one on the sight as said anything about that. Any comments would be appreciated.

Old 10-21-2016, 03:17 PM
ssunit1
Laughing Gas
Received 38 Likes on 27 Posts
Interesting what Ford said, but I guess it makes sense. Just one more reason not to cover a repair. I didn't know that before I installed my aux tank but after thinking about it I probably would have done it anyway. Going a couple hundred miles and hunting for a gas station hauling the trailer got real old real fast.
Now if I could just get up the nerve to delete the DEF

Old 10-23-2016, 08:05 AM
Sous
Fleet Owner
Received 4,523 Likes on 2,876 Posts
I mentioned this earlier in the thread, but having over 750 miles range loaded with 5th wheel and 1500 miles unloaded is one of the best modifications I have ever done to my truck.

Also, widening the neck of the filler tube to accept tractor trailer nozzles was a good idea too, not as critical though. Nice to pull in next to the big rigs where the fuel is much easier to access.

Stopping when and where I want for fuel rather than when and where I have to is great peace of mind.

Old 10-23-2016, 07:05 PM
Able Dog
Freshman User
Originally Posted by Sous
Also, widening the neck of the filler tube to accept tractor trailer nozzles was a good idea too, not as critical though. Nice to pull in next to the big rigs where the fuel is much easier to access.

I've ben wanting to do this for ages. How did you go about doing it?

Old 10-23-2016, 07:06 PM
DL222
Senior User
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
I mentioned this earlier in the thread, but having over 750 miles range loaded with 5th wheel and 1500 miles unloaded is one of the best modifications I have ever done to my truck.

Stopping when and where I want for fuel rather than when and where I have to is great peace of mind.
I agree totally it was one of the first things I did to my 08. I drove it 9 years with no problems. Absolutely loved having it. My new RDS tank should be here tomorrow. Will have it in soon.

Old 10-23-2016, 08:39 PM
Sous
Fleet Owner
Received 4,523 Likes on 2,876 Posts
Originally Posted by Able Dog
I've ben wanting to do this for ages. How did you go about doing it?
When I installed the auxiliary tank I removed the filler neck (easy to do) in order to install the fill port onto the vent tube and just used a dremel to widen the fill hole. I used a piece of pipe as a gauge to ensure I had enough diameter and then cleaned the fill neck very well before re-installing.

Old 10-24-2016, 07:02 AM
Able Dog
Freshman User
When I installed the auxiliary tank I removed the filler neck (easy to do) in order to install the fill port onto the vent tube and just used a dremel to widen the fill hole. I used a piece of pipe as a gauge to ensure I had enough diameter and then cleaned the fill neck very well before re-installing.
Thanks, I was planning on replacing my older hoses so I figured this would be a good time to do it.

Quick Reply: What size auxiliary fuel tank do you have?