Notices

Trying to soften the ride

Old 06-14-2019, 06:40 PM
timmyboy76
Post Fiend
timmyboy76 has much to be proud oftimmyboy76 has much to be proud oftimmyboy76 has much to be proud oftimmyboy76 has much to be proud oftimmyboy76 has much to be proud oftimmyboy76 has much to be proud oftimmyboy76 has much to be proud oftimmyboy76 has much to be proud oftimmyboy76 has much to be proud of
My thought is, yes the shocks will help but also the lower spring rate. With 6k ratings, that truck aint squat'n for nothing. Now, put the 4800 rated springs and your truck will "sink" in the front, giving the entire geometry of the ride, a new equation...my 2 pennies.

Old 06-14-2019, 06:56 PM
RV_Tech
Post Fiend
RV_Tech has a superb reputationRV_Tech has a superb reputationRV_Tech has a superb reputationRV_Tech has a superb reputationRV_Tech has a superb reputationRV_Tech has a superb reputationRV_Tech has a superb reputationRV_Tech has a superb reputationRV_Tech has a superb reputationRV_Tech has a superb reputationRV_Tech has a superb reputation
I agree. Here is the thing. I have the scale weights for our truck and the truck camper adds very little to the front axle even with the COG gravity well ahead of the rear axle. Like so many folks I think the previous owner felt if he ordered the camper package he should order the plow springs too. I see folks doing that somewhat frequently, but I do not agree. So yah, it rides like it doesn't have springs on the front. Airing down the tires really helps. Run at sticker pressure and it bounces down the road. Not dismissing shocks, I think they will help with the porpoisiing. I will have the Ranchos Sunday and will go from there. One step at a time.

Old 06-17-2019, 02:33 PM
beachcamperf250
Junior User
beachcamperf250 is starting off with a positive reputation.
Don't forget to lube the dial so they won't rust before you install. Mine are still working great after 4 years and mine see quite a bit of salt from the Ocean in the summer.

Old 06-17-2019, 04:01 PM
RV_Tech
Post Fiend
RV_Tech has a superb reputationRV_Tech has a superb reputationRV_Tech has a superb reputationRV_Tech has a superb reputationRV_Tech has a superb reputationRV_Tech has a superb reputationRV_Tech has a superb reputationRV_Tech has a superb reputationRV_Tech has a superb reputationRV_Tech has a superb reputationRV_Tech has a superb reputation
Just got em on, going to try em set on 3. I'll silicone spray the dial. Thanks

Old 06-17-2019, 04:27 PM
HRTKD
Post Fiend
HRTKD has a spectacular reputation.HRTKD has a spectacular reputation.HRTKD has a spectacular reputation.HRTKD has a spectacular reputation.HRTKD has a spectacular reputation.HRTKD has a spectacular reputation.HRTKD has a spectacular reputation.HRTKD has a spectacular reputation.HRTKD has a spectacular reputation.HRTKD has a spectacular reputation.HRTKD has a spectacular reputation.
Originally Posted by RV_Tech View Post
Just got em on, going to try em set on 3. I'll silicone spray the dial. Thanks
When I had the fronts dialed too low I think I saw more bump steer and one instance of Death Wobble.

Old 06-17-2019, 04:55 PM
RV_Tech
Post Fiend
I know from reading on online that 5 should be about what I had with the stock shocks. I was thinking to try less to soften things. Mistake?

Old 06-17-2019, 05:00 PM
HRTKD
Post Fiend
HRTKD has a spectacular reputation.HRTKD has a spectacular reputation.HRTKD has a spectacular reputation.HRTKD has a spectacular reputation.HRTKD has a spectacular reputation.HRTKD has a spectacular reputation.HRTKD has a spectacular reputation.HRTKD has a spectacular reputation.HRTKD has a spectacular reputation.HRTKD has a spectacular reputation.HRTKD has a spectacular reputation.
Originally Posted by RV_Tech View Post
I know from reading on online that 5 should be about what I had with the stock shocks. I was thinking to try less to soften things. Mistake?
All I can say is that it didn't work for me with a setting less than 5.

Old Yesterday, 11:10 AM
RV_Tech
Post Fiend
Wow!!!!!!!!! Installed the Ranchos yesterday and ran them for the first time this morning. What an incredible improvement. Perhaps the best aftermarket investment I have ever made to our truck. Discovered our truck really does have a front suspension after all.

I have them set on 3 which is a little to soft, but I like the fact I can adjust them to find the best setting. I still might change out the front coils, but now our F350 rides almost like our F150 did so definitely on the right track. Everyone's advice was spot on with this one!

Old Yesterday, 11:21 AM
HRTKD
Post Fiend
Great to hear that the Rancho shocks were an improvement!

Old Yesterday, 03:06 PM
beachcamperf250
Junior User
beachcamperf250 is starting off with a positive reputation.

I keep my fronts on 5 and change the rear to 5 when not loaded.

Search this Thread

Contact Us - About Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service

© 2019 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands

We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon.com and affiliated sites.

• Ask a Question
    Get answers from community experts
Question Title:
Description:
Your question will be posted in: