Ford Truck Enthusiasts Forums

Ford Truck Enthusiasts Forums (https://www.ford-trucks.com/forums/index.php)
-   Slide-in / Truck Campers (https://www.ford-trucks.com/forums/forum294/)
-   -   Trying to soften the ride (https://www.ford-trucks.com/forums/1586420-trying-to-soften-the-ride.html)

RV_Tech 06-11-2019 08:10 AM

Trying to soften the ride

We have a 2012 F350 LB 6.2 SRW that rides significantly worst than a buckboard. Jarring ride and plenty of bump steer and with our TC on board, either Hallmark past or NorthStar Laredo present porpoising is it's favorite trick whenever the roadway has joints. It quite literally feels like it will tear the truck apart unless we drop down to under 50mph. Speeding up does not help at all.

We bought this truck dealer certified used and it is a great truck except for the ride. Now I know (or think I know) that until the changeover gassers and diesel 2011-2017 had the same suspension. If I am correct the springs start out with way more capacity than they need in the gassers even with the base spring. To stiffen things up further, this truck has the plow package (again it was on the truck when we bought it), so stiffer still.

Here are my thoughts and questions. I would like to change out the front springs to at least stock. Has anyone here done that or something similar? Secondly, if the front springs on the new models are softer, will they fit my truck? I do have my CAT scale weights and know that loading our truck camper adds very little weight to the front axle (actually so little I could air my tires down if I chose), but would still like to go with softer springs. I know folks have said not to do this in the past, but never offered any statement as to why it would be a good idea. Thoughts?

beachcamperf250 06-11-2019 08:29 AM

Rancho 9000's helped with porpoising on my truck, set the front ones to 5 and the back ones to 9 with the camper loaded.

crewzer 06-11-2019 03:27 PM

I think you have plenty of room to dial down the front springs. I suspect your truck’s “snowplow package” front springs are rated at 6,000 lbs. (for the pair).

The range for your 4x4 truck generation’s “standard” front springs appears to have been 4,000-, 4,400-, 4,800-, and 5,200 lbs., depending on model and options. Adding the camper package option probably increased that range to 5,600 lbs. (“one up”).

The oldest SD spec brochure I could find is for MY2014:

https://madocumentupload.marketingas...947d7&v5=False

Our new 2019 F350 4x2 with camper package came with 4,550 springs, up from the 4,400 springs on our 2017, also with the camper package. The difference was immediately noticeable. Unless your truck has lots of factory- or after-market options up front, I would think you could drop down to 5200 lbs. springs.

Our truck also porpoises on occasion. I will first push the camper center of gravity forward a bit by removing a spacer and moving the camper forward in the bed. Next might be adding Torklift upper StableLoads to the rear suspension.

HTH,
Jim / crewzer

RV_Tech 06-11-2019 07:33 PM

Originally Posted by SDcrewzer (Post 18701816)
I think you have plenty of room to dial down the front springs. I suspect your truck’s “snowplow package” front springs are rated at 6,000 lbs. (for the pair).

The range for your 4x4 truck generation’s “standard” front springs appears to have been 4,000-, 4,400-, 4,800-, and 5,200 lbs., depending on model and options. Adding the camper package option probably increased that range to 5,600 lbs. (“one up”).

The oldest SD spec brochure I could find is for MY2014:

https://madocumentupload.marketingas...947d7&v5=False

Our new 2019 F350 4x2 with camper package came with 4,550 springs, up from the 4,400 springs on our 2017, also with the camper package. The difference was immediately noticeable. Unless your truck has lots of factory- or after-market options up front, I would think you could drop down to 5200 lbs. springs.

Our truck also porpoises on occasion. I will first push the camper center of gravity forward a bit by removing a spacer and moving the camper forward in the bed. Next might be adding Torklift upper StableLoads to the rear suspension.

HTH,
Jim / crewzer

Thanks for attaching that. I had it at one time and lost it. I bet I could drop all the way down to 4,800# springs on the front with no problem and it does look like I am at 6,000 now. I have to CAT scale the NorthStar, but I bet not much weight transfers to the front axle by the feel of things, although the ride is certainly better with the truck camper in the bed.

Steve

RV_Tech 06-11-2019 07:34 PM

Originally Posted by beachcamperf250 (Post 18700884)
Rancho 9000's helped with porpoising on my truck, set the front ones to 5 and the back ones to 9 with the camper loaded.

Worth a look. I have been trying to decide between Ranchos and Bilsteins.

Thanks, Steve

Kevin's dad 06-11-2019 07:47 PM

Ck out (silastic.com)
I installed on my 2018 F-350 and now my wife will ride with me!-X03

RV_Tech 06-12-2019 07:10 AM

Originally Posted by Kevin's dad (Post 18702179)
Ck out (silastic.com)
I installed on my 2018 F-350 and now my wife will ride with me!-X03

Thanks, I'm not familiar with those and have to research them further.
Steve

HRTKD 06-12-2019 08:03 AM

If you have porpoising now, then won't it be worse if you go to a lighter spring?

I would check the shocks first. Maybe they're shot?

RV_Tech 06-12-2019 02:54 PM

Originally Posted by HRTKD (Post 18702785)
If you have porpoising now, then won't it be worse if you go to a lighter spring?

I would check the shocks first. Maybe they're shot?

I think you are right.. My initial post is kind of garbled. I want to do two things. I want to soft the ride just in general as in going down the road. It is buckboard hard. And i also want to reduce or eliminate porpoising on highway joints.

My thought about changing to standard springs I would liken to airing down the tires, which really helps. Then I am also exploring new shocks as the stock ones are on the truck at about 60,000 miles. I know shocks will not soften the ride and I don't think springs will deal with porpoising by themselves. Once I have the truck in as good a condition suspensionwise as I can, I will begin thinking about further changes, if necessary.

Not sure what changed the font. I wasn't trying to bold anything.

beachcamperf250 06-12-2019 03:00 PM

I went from NAPA fleet shocks to the Rancho's and it made a world of difference in the ride, I didn't think it was going to do much either. One ride on a concrete highway that always bucked me in the past had me sold on the Rancho's.

HRTKD 06-12-2019 03:50 PM

Steve, I bet your shocks are toast. I would swap out at least the fronts first before doing anything else. A friend of mine has a 2007 Nissan Armada. I rode with him in the mountains on the interstate. It was scary. The front end dipped down hard at every touch of the brakes. New shocks made it ride like new with no dipping at all.

RV_Tech 06-12-2019 06:41 PM

I intend to give the Ranchos a try. We;ll see. :)

RV_Tech 06-13-2019 06:44 PM

Ranchos ordered, Guess I'll see. Still think I will have to get rid of plow springs.

beachcamperf250 06-14-2019 10:57 AM

Just gives you more reason to install a front hitch and put some more weight on the front :)

RV_Tech 06-14-2019 11:25 AM

Got a front hitch. Genny is going to ride there. :)