Your truck is not recommended for truck camper

Search this Thread

Old 08-08-2018, 09:45 PM
nick_m
Freshman User
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Your truck is not recommended for truck camper

Hello forum,

I just bought a 2018 F350 DRW 14k GVWR, with a 5600 lb payload rating (diesel, 4x4, crew cab & long bed sure reduce the payload!). Going through the owner's manual I found a folded sheet of paper that states:"Your pickup is not recommended for carrying (a) slide-in camper". It then goes on to explain how to match and load the camper. Hmm. It's the only document we didn't review during the sales process. Hmm again. I just spoke with the sales guy and he says that's just FORD's CYA boilerplate. However, the document references my VIN, so it's vehicle-specific.

The truck did not come with the "Camper Package" (it was existing inventory) but it has the rear auxiliary springs and stabilizer bar, so unless it's missing the heavy service front springs (hard to imagine for a 14k GVWR diesel), the only difference would be the "Slide-in camper certification", whatever that is.

Did anyone else receive this document (7U5A-061B82-AA) for their truck that did NOT include the disclaimer?

Thanks!
Nick

The following users liked this post:
Old 08-09-2018, 07:14 AM
crewzer
Logistics Pro
Received 267 Likes on 207 Posts
Lightbulb

The camper certification for our 2017 F350 with the optional camper package is attached. As noted, the cert is indeed vehicle specific as maximum loads and center-of-gravity window is calculated based on specific vehicle configuration.

The camper package availability is not universal; there are several configurations -- including the F350 DRW -- for which it's not offered.

HTH,
Jim / crewzer

Attached Images
File Type: pdf
2017 F350 Camper cert.pdf (66.7 KB, 360 views)
Old 08-09-2018, 07:15 AM
RV_Tech
Hotshot
Received 456 Likes on 310 Posts
Short answer is I don't know, but the Ford specs say "Camper Package (Option Code 471) required with F-250/F-350/F-450 Super Duty® " in the section on slide-in campers. I bet that is why.

You can see it here - https://www.ford.com/cmslibs/content...tyPU_Nov27.pdf

Old 08-09-2018, 07:22 AM
crewzer
Logistics Pro
2017 Camper Package option description and restrictions.

HTH,
Jim / crewzer

Old 08-09-2018, 08:14 AM
HRTKD
Boondocker
Received 6,667 Likes on 2,740 Posts
I bet it's just the lack of +1 springs on the front. Depending on how heavy your camper is the +1 springs may be optional for you.

Old 08-09-2018, 08:56 AM
nick_m
Freshman User
Originally Posted by SDcrewzer
The camper certification for our 2017 F350 with the optional camper package is attached. As noted, the cert is indeed vehicle specific as maximum loads and center-of-gravity window is calculated based on specific vehicle configuration.

The camper package availability is not universal; there are several configurations -- including the F350 DRW -- for which it's not offered.

HTH,
Jim / crewzer
SDcrewzer,

Thanks for the document - that's just what I was looking for. I ran Ford's online configuration tool for my 2018 vehicle and it allows me to select the camper package; do you think the restriction was only for 2017?

Old 08-09-2018, 09:17 AM
nick_m
Freshman User
Originally Posted by RV_Tech
Short answer is I don't know, but the Ford specs say "Camper Package (Option Code 471) required with F-250/F-350/F-450 Super Duty® " in the section on slide-in campers. I bet that is why.

You can see it here - https://www.ford.com/cmslibs/content...tyPU_Nov27.pdf
RV_Tech,

Thanks for the link; that's very helpful. I downloaded the Super Duty brochure and thought all the info was in the payload matrix. You're probably right about the lack of the camper package option. I can't imagine my truck isn't similarly configured, but without the calculations.

Nick

Old 08-09-2018, 09:17 AM
crewzer
Logistics Pro
Same restrictions for the 2018. Which wheels and axle ratio are on your truck?

Also, what is your truck’s front GAWR? If it’s 5990 lbs. then it’s my understanding that your truck is already at the maximum standard front spring rating. Check the cert label on the driver side B pillar.

Regards,
Jim / crewzer

Old 08-09-2018, 09:37 AM
nick_m
Freshman User
Same restrictions for the 2018. Which wheels and axle ratio are on your truck?

Also, what is your truck’s front GAWR? Check the cert label on the driver side B pillar.

Regards,
Jim / crewzer
Jim,

The front GAWR is 5600 lbs. The wheels are 17" (with 245/75 Michelins). Axle ratio is 4.1.

Where do you see the camper package restriction for DRW? In the PDF that RV_Tech linked to there's a footnote for F350 that says the camper package is required, and it lists a 4956 lb payload for 4x4 DRW Crew Cab diesel. I don't see any other modifiers.

Nick

Old 08-09-2018, 10:15 AM
crewzer
Logistics Pro
Nick,

Well, 5600 lbs. FGAWR isn’t the maximum standard, but it’s close.

The restrictions are described in the package content snip above; my understanding is that they apply to SRWs and DRWs.

Ford says the camper package (including the cert) is required to carry campers of the weights listed, but the CP is not avalaible with all configurations or options. For example, if a customer wants the factory camper package, then he/she can’t order 20” wheels and tires.

iMHO, the truck-specific cert serves two useful purposes: It lists truck- and application-specific camper weight limitations (and associated assumptions), and it helps to correctly locate the camper’s center of gravity fore and aft in the truck bed. You don’t want the camper CoG behind the rear axle because this multiplies rear axle load and reduces front axle load. You also don’t want the CoG too far ahead of the rear axle because you don’t want to overload the front suspension. The cert can help you locate the COG “just right”, although you can do essentially the same thing via trial and error at a CAT scale.

Our old truck’s cert illustrated that a camper’s CoG had to be located in a fairly narrow 15” band in order to carry the maximum camper weight of 3111lbs. This spec included 5 x 150 = 750 lbs. allowance for people and cargo in our truck’s passenger compartment.

Additionally, the truck camper manufacturer should be able to provide “as built” CoG data for their campers, although these specs may be based on otherwise empty weights. Loading the camper may (will?) affect the CoG location to some degree.

HTH,
Jim / crewzer

Old 08-09-2018, 11:14 AM
HRTKD
Boondocker
Jim, thanks for posting your camper certification. I have the camper package but I don't recall seeing that document in my paperwork. I don't plan to get a slide-in camper but I wonder if I can get the document after the fact.

Old 08-09-2018, 11:16 AM
RV_Tech
Hotshot
Received 456 Likes on 310 Posts
I bought my 2012 used with a camper package and have never seen a paper certification, although I have all the stuff and verification from the dealer. I wonder if there is always a slip of paper like that?

Old 08-09-2018, 11:24 AM
crewzer
Logistics Pro
Gents,

I lost the original hard copy of our truck’s camper cert. I contacted Ford (call? chat?), gave ‘em my VIN, and they emailed a pdf of the original cert at no charge.

HTH,
Jim/ crewzer

Old 08-09-2018, 11:55 AM
HRTKD
Boondocker
Gents,

I lost the original hard copy of our truck’s camper cert. I contacted Ford (call? chat?), gave ‘em my VIN, and they emailed a pdf of the original cert at no charge.

HTH,
Jim/ crewzer
Sweet! That's what I'll do then. If I approached the dealer on this I would get a "deer in headlights" look.

Old 08-09-2018, 12:10 PM
nick_m
Freshman User
Nick,

Well, 5600 lbs. FGAWR isn’t the maximum standard, but it’s close.

The restrictions are described in the package content snip above; my understanding is that they apply to SRWs and DRWs.

Ford says the camper package (including the cert) is required to carry campers of the weights listed, but the CP is not avalaible with all configurations or options. For example, if a customer wants the factory camper package, then he/she can’t order 20” wheels and tires.

iMHO, the truck-specific cert serves two useful purposes: It lists truck- and application-specific camper weight limitations (and associated assumptions), and it helps to correctly locate the camper’s center of gravity fore and aft in the truck bed. You don’t want the camper CoG behind the rear axle because this multiplies rear axle load and reduces front axle load. You also don’t want the CoG too far ahead of the rear axle because you don’t want to overload the front suspension. The cert can help you locate the COG “just right”, although you can do essentially the same thing via trial and error at a CAT scale.

Our old truck’s cert illustrated that a camper’s CoG had to be located in a fairly narrow 15” band in order to carry the maximum camper weight of 3111lbs. This spec included 5 x 150 = 750 lbs. allowance for people and cargo in our truck’s passenger compartment.

Additionally, the truck camper manufacturer should be able to provide “as built” CoG data for their campers, although these specs may be based on otherwise empty weights. Loading the camper may (will?) affect the CoG location to some degree.

HTH,
Jim / crewzer
Jim,

By "close to maximum standard", you mean that my FGAWR is almost as good as it gets, right? I don't see anything in my options that would disallow the camper option (and 20" wheels can't even be selected).

The CG is marked on my camper; if I load it all the way into the bed, the CG is 12" forward of the rear axle. For a 4000 lb camper, that would put about 270 lbs on the front axle and 3730 on the rear. I was told by the Eagle Cap dealer to have the front rubber bumpers on the TC just touch the forward end of the bed. Do you do otherwise to adjust the centering?

Nick

Quick Reply: Your truck is not recommended for truck camper