Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Rescuing another Ex from the junkyard: 2002 V10

Search this Thread

Old 07-29-2017, 09:25 PM
DidieX
Elder User
Received 9 Likes on 9 Posts
Nice pics, looks really good without the running boards!

I'm really curious to see how your repair comes out and how much it costs, I have almost the exact same rust as your ex, the passenger is not as bad though, it's only rotted on the panel that's replaceable. But drivers side is exactly the same. I need a new hitch too, it's beyond repairable.

I'll send you a PM regarding the wheels.

Old 07-30-2017, 09:06 PM
Nicmike
Veteran/Sheepdog

Received 94 Likes on 66 Posts
To all you guys driving rust buckets up there...I will be coming to Central PA next year for my daughter's college graduation (Selinsgrove, PA). I have two stripped down Excursions here at the Gold Mine (and others at other salvage yards here). They are both rust free, and at least one of them has the hitch still on it as well. Both are 2000 models, and they were gassers. Neither was wrecked, but some parts have been taken off them. I see you guys lamenting about the rust all the time, and I would be happy to bring someone a rolling body/frame to help keep your Excursion on the road for another decade. I would be willing to haul one of them up with me if someone needs a body/frame to graft with. Cost of fuel would suffice for a "shipping fee" if someone thinks this would help them out. I know it is a long way out, but these things do require planning/fund accumulation, so I am throwing it out there now.

Old 07-31-2017, 11:42 AM
wildstang
VT Chapter Ldr

Received 144 Likes on 139 Posts
Originally Posted by Nicmike
To all you guys driving rust buckets up there...I will be coming to Central PA next year for my daughter's college graduation (Selinsgrove, PA). I have two stripped down Excursions here at the Gold Mine (and others at other salvage yards here). They are both rust free, and at least one of them has the hitch still on it as well. Both are 2000 models, and they were gassers. Neither was wrecked, but some parts have been taken off them. I see you guys lamenting about the rust all the time, and I would be happy to bring someone a rolling body/frame to help keep your Excursion on the road for another decade. I would be willing to haul one of them up with me if someone needs a body/frame to graft with. Cost of fuel would suffice for a "shipping fee" if someone thinks this would help them out. I know it is a long way out, but these things do require planning/fund accumulation, so I am throwing it out there now.
I think I might take you up on that. My 01, the inner and outer rockers are shot full length, and rusting through along the top of the windshield. I have been thinking about finding a cheap southern gas one and swapping body onto the 01 7.3 4x4 frame or switching the running gear to a from the rusty 01 into a different one. It would be an 8 hour drive or so from Vermont, but for a rust free one, definitely worth it.

Old 07-31-2017, 11:46 AM
andym
Post Fiend
Received 29 Likes on 29 Posts
I noticed a rust spot on mine yesterday on top of the windshield. It was a Texas truck until I bought it and I'm in California now so this truck has never seen salt. The underside is still pretty spotless. But that windshield issue is going to have to get fixed in the next year or two tops.

Ugh. I HATE rust.

Old 07-31-2017, 11:47 AM
wildstang
VT Chapter Ldr

Received 144 Likes on 139 Posts
Originally Posted by Greenscobie86
Cool tire indeed, wish i could find another new one but sadly they don't make em anymore.

Not sure what direction I am going with the wheels/tires yet but I will keep you posted sir!

Not too much in the way of updates:

Started taking off the running boards and sizing up the level of work to be done. Funny enough the rocker panels/inner rockers/supports are all fine from the back doors forward, even the rocker seam is good... Go figure. Will be making a patch panel for the dogleg area behind the doors and probably welding in angle iron to the inner rocker panel for running board mounts. Since the old boards are rusted to hell, I picked up some black tubular Smittybilt nerf bars to put on.

photos:

those are in great shape compared to mine. Plus I have rust around the top of the windshield that has holes in it under the windshield.

Old 07-31-2017, 04:08 PM
Nicmike
Veteran/Sheepdog

Received 94 Likes on 66 Posts
We do get the rust at the top center of the windshields here, too. It is a consequence of how that junction of parts was made I am afraid, so it doesn't matter where you live. Water collects and sits there after rain or washing. Not enough lateral angle at the windshield/sheet metal junction for it to drain.

Old 11-06-2017, 01:40 PM
Greenscobie86
Posting Guru
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
UPDATES!!!

Have been working on this truck slowly with a buddy(mostly him since I don't have time) and its slowly coming along. Some photos of the right side below. Still need to finish the left side + body work + paint and lambast the whole underside with some undercoating/seam sealer. A lot of work but she's getting there. Hopefully will be ready just in time for the snow to hit...

Photos are a little out of order but you guys get the idea.

More to come!

Old 11-06-2017, 02:13 PM
WE3ZS
Received 924 Likes on 623 Posts
It's so cool to see all of the work you have done to save both EXs, much respect man!

Old 11-06-2017, 04:09 PM
03psd73
Junior User
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
looks like it is coming together for you. I dont know how yall up north deal with all that rust. A ambulance company that I was director of operations at for awhile bought a couple of ambulances from Pa and they were shuc a pain to do any kind of work to with all the rust on them. Every time you go to work on something likes brakes seems like you have to replace so much stuff, would make me wonder if it was really worth buying it. My hats off to ya for saving these great trucks.

Old 11-08-2017, 09:27 PM
fordboy2
Cargo Master
Received 10 Likes on 5 Posts
Looking like your making progress. Nice work.

Old 11-27-2017, 10:27 PM
Greenscobie86
Posting Guru
Originally Posted by WE3ZS
It's so cool to see all of the work you have done to save both EXs, much respect man!
Thank you sir! I will drive it up to Philly and show it to you personally when all the work is completed.

Originally Posted by 03psd73
looks like it is coming together for you. I dont know how yall up north deal with all that rust. A ambulance company that I was director of operations at for awhile bought a couple of ambulances from Pa and they were shuc a pain to do any kind of work to with all the rust on them. Every time you go to work on something likes brakes seems like you have to replace so much stuff, would make me wonder if it was really worth buying it. My hats off to ya for saving these great trucks.
The rust sucks for sure, but it is what it is, bought the truck sight unseen so had to make lemonade out of lemons lol. I appreciate the praise, this rig drives extremely nice and has low miles so I felt like it was worth saving.

Originally Posted by fordboy2
Looking like your making progress. Nice work.
Cheers! Thanks for the kind words.

Got the truck back home yesterday, all the hard work is pretty much done. Need to install the mouldings, do some undercoating, side steps, and give her a nice interior/exterior bath.

A few pic at the gas station tonight, excuse the half finished look.

Old 11-27-2017, 10:30 PM
AlaskanEx
Bleed Ford Blue

Received 128 Likes on 43 Posts
Looking good!!!

Old 11-27-2017, 10:38 PM
Greenscobie86
Posting Guru
Originally Posted by AlaskanEx
Looking good!!!
Thanks Russ! Should look halfway decent when I'm done with it.

Old 12-02-2017, 10:43 PM
Greenscobie86
Posting Guru
The saga continues.

Did a lot today. Flap disc/wire wheel/wire brush/scraped the rockers and repair section under the truck. Applied some rust converter, then blasted some Raptor UPOL on the affected areas and wheel wells to pretty them up a bit. Also polished out the color blend on the left side of the truck. The right quarter will need to be wetsanded and cut/buff'd another day. Then I moved on to mounting the cladding, made sure to use all new hardware. Had some challenges as the newly built doglegs are not quite the same EXACT shape as the originals but I made it work. Still missing the left inner rear fender liner and the SUPER DUPER rare OEM FoMoCo mudflap, as they were victimized by an exploding General months ago.

Also redid the axle vent tubes since they were brittle and rotted, nice to have caught them just in time.
Made a laundry list of the exhaust parts I need to order, why do I always get an Ex with a blown/rotted pipe between the cat and the muffler??? Lucky I guess.

Did some more light work that I'm forgetting now, anyhow, on to the photos...

Rockers before bed liner:

After some cleaning/sanding:

In progress:

Got most of the heavy scale off, this was pre Rust converter treatment:

Gave the rear arch some love too:

Post Raptor UPOL application, LOVE this stuff!

Wheelarch looking nice and BLACK!

Weird "in progress shot" of polishing/sanding the blend area on the dog leg:

Cladding installed, had to REALLY work to get the 3M tape to stick on there.

Also did the drivers door while I had the chemicals handy.

That's enough for one day!

One other thing, after this repair my rear wiper and defroster have stopped working. I hear the relays clicking but the rear washer pump/wiper simply wont run. I wonder if I pinched a wire back there while working on the rear quarter panel. Does anyone know if its a common issue? Wiring schematics or fuse numbers perhaps?

Thanks in advance ya'll!

Old 12-11-2017, 08:44 AM
Greenscobie86
Posting Guru
Slowly but surely truck is coming along.

Put a new $50 Walmart battery in it. Bought some more exhaust clamps and such. Also scored a couple of brand new in box OEM front axle bump stops on eBay for $40.

This past Sunday I got the Smittybilt side steps on.

The more I look at this truck the more I realize how much I want to put a front shackle on it and 285s all around. Doesn't factor into my "budget" but I think I won't be able to control myself...

Quick Reply: Rescuing another Ex from the junkyard: 2002 V10