Rescuing another Ex from the junkyard: 2002 V10 - Ford Truck Enthusiasts Forums

Go Back  Ford Truck Enthusiasts Forums > Super Duty/Heavy Duty > Excursion - King of SUVs
Reload this Page >

Rescuing another Ex from the junkyard: 2002 V10

Notices
Excursion - King of SUVs 2000 - 2005 Ford Excursion
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Old 03-17-2017, 04:55 PM
Greenscobie86
Posting Guru
Greenscobie86 is a splendid one to beholdGreenscobie86 is a splendid one to beholdGreenscobie86 is a splendid one to beholdGreenscobie86 is a splendid one to beholdGreenscobie86 is a splendid one to beholdGreenscobie86 is a splendid one to beholdGreenscobie86 is a splendid one to behold

Well...

Since my other build thread(LINK) gave me so much inspiration I went and bought another Ex the other day.

This one is a 2002 V10 Limited with 99k miles. Took a hit in the rear quarter panel and the tow hitch.

Looking forward to making this another build thread like my previous one.
A few quick pics below don't tell the whole story, this truck is nice but more rusty than my white one, it will be a project for sure.

I'll be posting more pics and commentary shortly, in the middle of house renovation and the weather in NYC has been crappy so I haven't had a chance to go over it with a critical eye just yet.

Enjoy!

Old 03-17-2017, 07:55 PM
wpnaes
FTE Chapter Leader
wpnaes has a superb reputationwpnaes has a superb reputationwpnaes has a superb reputationwpnaes has a superb reputationwpnaes has a superb reputationwpnaes has a superb reputationwpnaes has a superb reputationwpnaes has a superb reputationwpnaes has a superb reputationwpnaes has a superb reputationwpnaes has a superb reputation
Love that color!

Old 03-17-2017, 08:54 PM
05MilMachine
Posting Guru
05MilMachine has a brilliant future05MilMachine has a brilliant future05MilMachine has a brilliant future05MilMachine has a brilliant future05MilMachine has a brilliant future05MilMachine has a brilliant future05MilMachine has a brilliant future05MilMachine has a brilliant future05MilMachine has a brilliant future05MilMachine has a brilliant future05MilMachine has a brilliant future
I am glad to see people saving these. Looking forward to following along.

Old 03-17-2017, 11:02 PM
AlaskanEx
Bleed Ford Blue
AlaskanEx has a superb reputationAlaskanEx has a superb reputationAlaskanEx has a superb reputationAlaskanEx has a superb reputationAlaskanEx has a superb reputationAlaskanEx has a superb reputationAlaskanEx has a superb reputationAlaskanEx has a superb reputationAlaskanEx has a superb reputationAlaskanEx has a superb reputationAlaskanEx has a superb reputation
Can't wait to follow along!

Old 03-18-2017, 03:12 AM
BULLDOG-X04
Junior User
BULLDOG-X04 is starting off with a positive reputation.
Bump! Can't wait to see how it turns out. Nice job on the resue!

Old 03-18-2017, 04:59 AM
Greenscobie86
Posting Guru
Greenscobie86 is a splendid one to beholdGreenscobie86 is a splendid one to beholdGreenscobie86 is a splendid one to beholdGreenscobie86 is a splendid one to beholdGreenscobie86 is a splendid one to beholdGreenscobie86 is a splendid one to beholdGreenscobie86 is a splendid one to behold
Thanks all! I am looking forward to the project as well.

Had some time to look over the truck today, happy to report good news and some bad.

Good:

-One owner truck, all books/manuals/mats present
-Drives way better than my white 2003, feels more solid and powerful
-Rear captains chairs
-New Warn hubs installed
-Brand new steering stabilizer installed
-All new COPs
-Appears to have been well taken care of

Bad:

-Rear view mirror milky
-DVD system appears to be dead
-6CD changer throws error
-LH 3rd row seatbelt torn
-Leaky exhaust
-Rusty running boards/rear rocker panels

Pics of rust:

Looks pretty bad... But not impossible to fix, I'll likely be replacing the running boards with some tube steps/nerf bars as well. The rest of the truck is about on par with my current rig so no huge deal there.

Truck needs a cleaning and of course some body work, mechanically however it drives amazing. Lots of power, smooth trans as well as a comfy ride. Definitely going to be a fun project.

List of parts needed so far:

-Electrochromatic rear view mirror
-Rear bumper
-Rear tow hitch
-Fix overhead DVD player
-Fix rust obviously...

Will report with more updates soon, for now I am tired, it has been a long night.

Old 03-18-2017, 11:51 AM
Apocalypse
Post Fiend
Apocalypse has a superb reputationApocalypse has a superb reputationApocalypse has a superb reputationApocalypse has a superb reputationApocalypse has a superb reputationApocalypse has a superb reputationApocalypse has a superb reputationApocalypse has a superb reputationApocalypse has a superb reputationApocalypse has a superb reputationApocalypse has a superb reputation
I'll be selling my 09' steps, extra mirror, and bumper soon and can deliver them (for a big *** fee) if you want. I'll be walking right by NYC in a few months.... You'll have to meet me out on the trail as I pass by though

Old 03-18-2017, 08:59 PM
Carl402
New User
Carl402 is starting off with a positive reputation.
How did you manage to get the whole thing from a Junk Yard?

Old 03-20-2017, 11:07 AM
Greenscobie86
Posting Guru
Originally Posted by Apocalypse View Post
I'll be selling my 09' steps, extra mirror, and bumper soon and can deliver them (for a big *** fee) if you want. I'll be walking right by NYC in a few months.... You'll have to meet me out on the trail as I pass by though
Thanks Jon! Might take you up on that.

Originally Posted by Carl402 View Post
How did you manage to get the whole thing from a Junk Yard?
Not exactly a junkyard but an insurance auction, either way this thing was probably going to the junkyard in the sky if I didn't get my hands on it.

Slow progress on the truck as I've been working on the house like crazy this weekend.

Basically just removed all the chalk marker residue and stickers off the windows, including the jesus fish on the back lol. Cleaned out the inside a bit and programmed a new keyless entry remote. Found out that the mirror switch doest work going in the right direction, might actually be able to fix that if I take it apart, we shall see.

Some pics of the action as well as the two trucks parked next to each other.

Old 04-03-2017, 09:55 AM
Greenscobie86
Posting Guru
More updates:

Got to crawl over the truck even more this weekend. Can't say I fixed anything, more like assessed the level of work required.

Most of the day was filled with failed attempts sans actually washing and vacuuming the truck and climbing under the dash to figure out the door code, yay.

Took a really good look at the damaged hitch, my fears of frame issues were not confirmed thankfully, the hitch took all the damage and folded up like a coke can, now if I could only find another one to replace it, they seem hard to come by.

Washed the truck, paint is in really nice shape, thats a plus.

Took apart the overhead console to figure out whats up with the DVD player, seems like its getting no power as its dead in the water, fan not spinning/no lights/nothing on the screen. Did a visual inspection of the wiring harness at the radio and up top but everything looked secure.
Does anyone have a test procedure for testing the rear DVD or a pinout where I can test for 12v or something? I'm definitely not a skilled electrician...

Pics of the carnage lol.

Hopefully I'll make more solid updates soon, need to get the following for now:

-power mirror switch DONE
-3rd row left seat belt
-t shaped floor mat for 3rd row/capt chair area
-trailer hitch DONE
-front pass door lock actuator DONE

Old 04-03-2017, 12:27 PM
Romanova
Senior User
Romanova is a name known to allRomanova is a name known to allRomanova is a name known to allRomanova is a name known to allRomanova is a name known to allRomanova is a name known to all
I think those rear DVD players were junk. Mine has never worked... sometimes it will light up the screen put it has never played. Screen is so small and worthless I never messed with it too much.

Just assume that the whole unit is probably toast. Mine is a TX truck, so I'm sure the heat finally got to it.

Old 04-03-2017, 02:10 PM
Jeff53
Senior User
Jeff53 has a very good reputation on FTE.Jeff53 has a very good reputation on FTE.Jeff53 has a very good reputation on FTE.Jeff53 has a very good reputation on FTE.
Hitch

I don't know if you make it down Virginia way, but this guy in Leesburg, VA has one: https://washingtondc.craigslist.org/...050470300.html

Old 04-04-2017, 10:04 AM
wizkid00104
Postmaster
wizkid00104 has a great reputation on FTE.wizkid00104 has a great reputation on FTE.wizkid00104 has a great reputation on FTE.wizkid00104 has a great reputation on FTE.wizkid00104 has a great reputation on FTE.wizkid00104 has a great reputation on FTE.
Nice. I'll watch!

Look for a place that does utility truck beds. They often have a bunch of new take off parts for sale, including rear hitches. That is where I got mine for my F250. Spent a whole $75 on one.

Old 04-04-2017, 10:09 AM
WE3ZS
World Famous Mod
WE3ZS has a superb reputationWE3ZS has a superb reputationWE3ZS has a superb reputationWE3ZS has a superb reputationWE3ZS has a superb reputationWE3ZS has a superb reputationWE3ZS has a superb reputationWE3ZS has a superb reputationWE3ZS has a superb reputationWE3ZS has a superb reputationWE3ZS has a superb reputation
Originally Posted by wizkid00104 View Post
Nice. I'll watch!

Look for a place that does utility truck beds. They often have a bunch of new take off parts for sale, including rear hitches. That is where I got mine for my F250. Spent a whole $75 on one.

Those utility body places are a great place to look for the new style rear bumpers that fit our EX and look great, but unfortunately the pickup hitches do not fit our EXs, the EX hitch is unique to the big wagons.

Scobie, you are welcome to my factory hitch, I replaced it in Oct with a Torklift SuperHitch 20K. It is a little rusty but was still pulling the 11K travel trailer right up to when I took it off. I'll snap a few pics and post them up here for you later today. Don't really want ship it though, but we are close enough to meet up.

Old 04-04-2017, 10:38 AM
wizkid00104
Postmaster
wizkid00104 has a great reputation on FTE.wizkid00104 has a great reputation on FTE.wizkid00104 has a great reputation on FTE.wizkid00104 has a great reputation on FTE.wizkid00104 has a great reputation on FTE.wizkid00104 has a great reputation on FTE.
I didn't realize the hitches were different. I knew the bumpers were the same, and incorrectly assumed the hitches would match as well. Oh well, learn something new every day.

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: Rescuing another Ex from the junkyard: 2002 V10

Contact Us About Us Archive Advertising Cookie Policy Privacy Statement Terms of Service

© 2018 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands

We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon.com and affiliated sites.