Pre-Power Stroke Diesel (7.3L IDI & 6.9L) Diesel Topics Only

What did you do to your IDI today?

Search this Thread

Old 12-22-2016, 04:38 AM
pgg00
Posting Guru
Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts
Originally Posted by RickW2007
for anyone interested come January this is the front bumper replacement I have designed to go on my old beater. to match the rear bumper I made
I like that bumper

Old 12-24-2016, 12:00 PM
chillman88
Senior User
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
So I found a cheap set of injector line clamps on eBay and put them on today... ... ...

Apparently I have a very bad air intrusion issue. I cracked all the lines to line them up in the clamps because they are all tweaked a little and didn't get ANY diesel spilling out of the lines.

I've known since I bought the truck it would need a new throttle cable but I was hoping it could wait... It can't.

Ugh, I can't catch a break with this truck...

Old 12-25-2016, 08:01 PM
90Ford73
More Turbo
Received 65 Likes on 58 Posts
Installed front mudflaps the other day and ground the driver's running board back so the new mudflap wouldn't rub. The old mudflap had a hole in it from 20 some years of left turns lol. Got an accidental discount at Canadian Tire due to the mudflaps being in the wrong bin... saved 15 bucks!

Merry Christmas friends!

Old 12-25-2016, 09:05 PM
IDIoit
Fleet Mechanic
Received 7 Likes on 4 Posts

rough country steering stabilizers!
99-04 SD

Old 12-26-2016, 12:32 AM
Macrobb
Postmaster
Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts
Originally Posted by chillman88
Apparently I have a very bad air intrusion issue. I cracked all the lines to line them up in the clamps because they are all tweaked a little and didn't get ANY diesel spilling out of the lines.
Uh... not exactly. Unless you loosened both ends of the line, you aren't going to get fuel out of them(except perhaps a drop or two), because the IP side is effectively blocked.

If you loosened up the IP side as well, fuel will drip out the IP side generally, not the injector side.

Old 12-27-2016, 01:38 AM
pgg00
Posting Guru
Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts
Drove down to tacoma and trailered my mom's horsey for her

Old 12-28-2016, 08:50 AM
chillman88
Senior User
Originally Posted by Macrobb
Uh... not exactly. Unless you loosened both ends of the line, you aren't going to get fuel out of them(except perhaps a drop or two), because the IP side is effectively blocked.

If you loosened up the IP side as well, fuel will drip out the IP side generally, not the injector side.
Thanks for the reply, good to know.

Old 01-17-2017, 05:17 AM
chillman88
Senior User
Got a cab guard for it. It's a little tall because its off a newer superduty.

Also checked the fit on the bed rails my father in law gave me. Looks like they'll fit fine once i get the toolbox on! (Tape measure is where the toolbox will be)

Old 01-17-2017, 05:25 AM
hturner12
Postmaster
Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts
Threw me off on cab guard. I have always heard them called headache racks. The extra height does not look bad. plus if you have anything long it will rest on it not the roof

Old 01-17-2017, 09:32 AM
chillman88
Senior User
Originally Posted by hturner12
Threw me off on cab guard. I have always heard them called headache racks. The extra height does not look bad. plus if you have anything long it will rest on it not the roof
I've always called them headache racks too but the last few times I've used that term people look at me like I have two heads!

Old 01-18-2017, 09:21 PM
Leroy Unlisted
Laughing Gas
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
hi

so - i finally got around to a little project that i had been meaning to tackle for a long long time .. it's nice to have been in there and got er' done ..

namely cleaning out my windshield cowl of leaves and debris on the inside - and sealing this area on the outside from dripping rainwater onto my air cleaner .. as well as straightening it up and attending to the wipers and glass ..

at some time in the far away past someone had been in there and done a poor job of lining everything back up upon re-installation .. these minor misalignments - although cosmetic have always bothered me .. they had reinstalled the cowl piece too far to the passenger side so it touched that fender and left a larger gap on the drivers side .. making the hood appear slightly off .. that and they had installed the pass side wiper one too low on the wagon wheel / that was also requiring attention .. the pass side wiper wheel was in newer condition .. so i take it that 20 years ago this was replaced - hastily or by a person with poor eyesight / skill ..

so .. as the rainwater seepage and trim was also bothering me .. as well as the wipers worn out .. i decided that it was time to go over the entire cowl area and re-make it great again ..

i used my handy dandy trim arrow head removal tool and excised the windshield trim .. this went well enough - i didn't bend or damage it - or the glass ..

though / i should have just saved the effort and ripped it off without let or hindrance as i much prefer the look naked without the chrome around the windshield and have decided to leave it off ..

removal of the cowl was straight forward enough .. just about 8ish phillips screws on the engine side .. and popping off the antenna cap / 4 screws / and dykes made popping out the wire easy enough ..

removed the wiper arms .. i do this with a larger open ended wrench and electrical tape the jaw for a coushin .. straight edge marked alignment and wedged the wrench using force opposite the spring direction ..

the hood required being moved to the upper most position on the hinge mounting point on the firewall .. simply scratch awled the the bolt circumference for later reference and loosened / tightened them down .. at the top of their position .. and with the hood up .. removed the cowl .. also i put masking tape / on the fender edges / lower hood edges / and upper cowl edge tabs .. so as not to scratch the fenders .. cowl .. hood .. or glass ..

snipped the hose to the glass sprayer and while it was off cleaned the nozzle with a thin wire ..

i used my little portable wet vac / 20 dollar walmart special / though despite the low price i am pleased with the performance of the little 1gal stanley hand vac .. got a full load of leaves out - down to deep in the fender with the attachment on there ..

removed the under cowl support bracket that had long turned to a rust color .. wire wheeled it off and blasted it with rubberized coating .. installed a nice stainless #8 screw where visible ..

replaced the cowling again .. this time centering it well before tightening it down .. and replaced the old cracked useless cowl gasket with rubberized garage door gasket from home depot .. with stainless washers to spread the pressure as the foam rubber is different then the hard plastic gasket that it replaces ..

and then rolled and pressed plumbers dope down into the back hood seam in the center 20" of this area to water proof it from dripping on the air cleaner .. this took kindof awhile to get it fully pressed in and nice and even .. but it turned out nice .. i used a spreader to even it out in the gap .. the dope is easy to work and eventually got it nice and straight with a taper at the edges for runoff .. water tight now ..

with the windshild trim off i was able to upgrade to a larger wiper - 21" now fits going right to the edge .. don't try this size with trim it would contact at the roof .. it goes all the way to the edge of the glass with it off ..

clocked the ol' crooked wiper arm correctly one tooth up and it's perfecto now .. ..

dropped the hood back down .. and made some fine tuning body adjustments to line everything up nicer than ever ..

used some strong urethane reducer solvent (amonia glass cleaner attempt was a fail) and cleaned the grime off the inside of the windshild glass ..

all in all very pleased with the trimless look .. the extra viewing area and wiper coverage .. the cleaned up cowl .. the watertight gasket and overall cleaner look of the fit ..

- Leroy

Old 01-19-2017, 07:45 PM
cadunkle
Cargo Master
Received 19 Likes on 18 Posts
Adjusted transfer case linkage and put the front driveshaft back in.

Old 01-27-2017, 07:25 PM
90Ford73
More Turbo
Received 65 Likes on 58 Posts
Replaced rubber hose to lift pump, all three olives, IP fitting O-ring, and finally the fuel heater to stop the tantrum throwing when going down the road .

Fuel heater cost me $255, and the IP O-ring was 7 something! Canada EH!! LOL haha.

Old 01-29-2017, 12:12 PM
chillman88
Senior User
Test fit my new $20 LED reverse lights from Amazon.

The previous owner had some lights there at one point but only the brackets were left. They are a bit larger than I would have hoped but at least I should be able to see backing up now!

I'm going to wire them up with a relay and a switch so I can manually turn them on too. I'll wire them with some 2 connector trailer plugs so if I ever have to replace them I can just unhook them from the harness instead of pulling the whole thing.

Old 01-29-2017, 01:21 PM
kla94
Logistics Pro
Received 130 Likes on 59 Posts
Those should light up the surroundings! I recently put bulbs in my reverse lights, BIG difference. I posted the results and a comparison on here.

Quick Reply: What did you do to your IDI today?