Pre-Power Stroke Diesel (7.3L IDI & 6.9L) Diesel Topics Only

HeLp!!! Urgent!!! Clutch matters

Search this Thread

Old 01-25-2017, 09:19 AM
corysPos
New User
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
HeLp!!! Urgent!!! Clutch matters

So I'm in quite a pickle here. My clutch went out. Well that's what everyone says anyways, for some reason I think it's something else because it won't engage AT ALL. Maybe lack of fluid or something? Idk. Regardless I'm replacing the clutch and I'm out making my pick ups. Can I get a round about LIST OF TOOLS ILL NEED? especially any specialty tools. It's my only means of providing and I'm down in a stranger's front yard. I've checked numerous sites and no one has a tool list. Please help with a link or SOMETHING, Hell, CALL or shoot me a text! (502)9313811. Thanks y'all!!

Old 01-25-2017, 09:34 AM
Chevy_Eater
Logistics Pro
Received 15 Likes on 9 Posts
No clue what you have, it could be a 4x4 truck or a Pinto, but if what you mean by it won't engage is that you put it in any gear and release the clutch pedal and nothing happens, then it's clutch or you have the transfer in neutral, or if the drive line's spinning it'll be the rear end.

If you mean that it grinds like hell trying to get it into gear, that's a hydraulic issue.
Unless it's the Pinto, I don't know what type of clutch they use.

Old 01-25-2017, 11:02 AM
cadunkle
Cargo Master
Received 19 Likes on 18 Posts
I'll assume you have the correct diagnosis and have checked the obvious in that the linkage or hydraulics are connected and working.

If it won't engage at all it must be something jammed up in the pressure plate (packed with mud?), a broken pressure plate, or a flywheel that sheared the center off (this would typically make quite a racket). Alternatively perhaps you sheared the input shaft clean off the trans. Anything else would give an indication the clutch is engaging.

Aside from that you just need sockets, wrenches, and a torque wrench. Nothing off the top of my head I would consider special or anyone would be unlikely to have. Thread sealant on the flywheel bolts if you remove for resurfacing or change that.

Old 01-25-2017, 11:25 AM
Etone
Senior User
check the fluid. if its empty fill it and bleed it. Watch for leaks. if its full, have someone depress pedal while you measure the distance the clutch fork travels. should be over 1/2 inch. if those things arent it, start removing trans. mostly ordinary wrenches & sockets. you will need a trans jack & a torx bit. impact wrench or large breaker bar to break trans bolts. clutch alignment tool is included with clutch kit. dual mass flywheel could be the problem. good luck

Old 01-25-2017, 06:41 PM
ifrythings
Laughing Gas
Received 98 Likes on 79 Posts
Definitely need more info on what your driving but most of the time when you loose all gears at once the transfer case usually is bad in someway, of course this only applies to a 4x4 truck.

Old 01-25-2017, 09:38 PM
Macrobb
Postmaster
Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts
Originally Posted by ifrythings
Definitely need more info on what your driving but most of the time when you loose all gears at once the transfer case usually is bad in someway, of course this only applies to a 4x4 truck.
Yeah... had a friend complain that their 4x4 Exploder wouldn't move at all after getting stuck in the snow. Turns out they knocked it out of 4x4 and into neutral...
Easy fix!

Old 01-26-2017, 08:08 AM
corysPos
New User
WOWWWW!!!!! I feel pretty goofy right now. I have a 93 F350 dually crew cab. Well I have a shop 2 counties over, lift, any tool you could think of and every machine to manufacture or repair almost anything I could need. BUT of course AAA "can't" tow that truck. So I'm stuck in a garage 2 inches shorter than my truck and a 100 psi compressor. Well enough whining... I got a good look at the damage done from the wreck last night and I've got a looooong road broken fuel lines, twisted brackets.... I'm GUESSING from where the fuel sat it ate through hoses and wires??? Hell idk. Either way they're corroded. Broken connectors and rotten rubber. Oh man it's way worse than I thought. To make things even worse there isn't a salvage yard around with a 7.3 worth a crap more or less a 350. SO it begins..... I'm gonna tear her down completely and make a new mess cause honestly guys, I truly don't know what the hell I'm doing. If anyone knows of any trucks around Louisville KY... Let me know. I appreciate the rapid response and I'll try and post pics. Thanks

Old 01-26-2017, 09:23 AM
Dieselamour
Laughing Gas
Received 30 Likes on 27 Posts
Originally Posted by corysPos
... Well enough whining... I got a good look at the damage done from the wreck last night and I've got a looooong road broken fuel lines, twisted brackets.... Let me know. I appreciate the rapid response and I'll try and post pics. Thanks
Did this lack of engagement occur after the wreck?

It looks like this guy was asking his mechanic for advice. He told the mechanic that the lights would stay on, even when he wasn't in the vehicle, and fuel was leaking from somewhere. Also, he told the mechanic that he thought he had a drive train issue since the truck would not move no matter what gear he was in, lol.

Can you tell me what is wrong with my truck? It seems that the lights stay on and I have a fuel leak somewhere. I also think I have a power-train issue because the vehicle will not move no matter what gear I am in.

All in fun. I hope you get it fixed. Sometimes it is hard to diagnose a problem without first seeing the problem for yourself.

Old 01-26-2017, 10:28 AM
corysPos
New User
Originally Posted by Macrobb
Yeah... had a friend complain that their 4x4 Exploder wouldn't move at all after getting stuck in the snow. Turns out they knocked it out of 4x4 and into neutral...
Easy fix!
Hahahahaha that is definitely something I would do. Went to the junk yard yesterday to pull a window motor and spent 20 minutes trying to remove the hand crank

Old 01-26-2017, 10:37 AM
corysPos
New User
Originally Posted by Dieselamour
Did this lack of engagement occur after the wreck?

It looks like this guy was asking his mechanic for advice. He told the mechanic that the lights would stay on, even when he wasn't in the vehicle, and fuel was leaking from somewhere. Also, he told the mechanic that he thought he had a drive train issue since the truck would not move no matter what gear he was in, lol.

Can you tell me what is wrong with my truck? It seems that the lights stay on and I have a fuel leak somewhere. I also think I have a power-train issue because the vehicle will not move no matter what gear I am in.

All in fun. I hope you get it fixed. Sometimes it is hard to diagnose a problem without first seeing the problem for yourself.

Yes, almost immediately. The truck ran beautifully up to that point. And still ran a good while after.

Old 01-26-2017, 03:06 PM
madpogue
Lead Driver
Received 15 Likes on 14 Posts
Originally Posted by Dieselamour
Can you tell me what is wrong with my truck?
We've pinpointed the location of what is wrong with your truck; it is circled below:

Attached Images  
Old 01-26-2017, 03:09 PM
Dieselamour
Laughing Gas
Received 30 Likes on 27 Posts
Lol..., I searched for a Ford but this seemed to fit the bill. I should have removed that logo.