Need to add a hitch to my truck

Search this Thread

Old 01-17-2017, 01:31 PM
wrvond
Cargo Master
Received 67 Likes on 47 Posts
Need to add a hitch to my truck

It looks like I am buying a fifth wheel for one of the kids to live in, which means I need to add a hitch to the truck, but this is all new territory for me and I could use some help.
What I have - 2012 F250 Crew with 6.5 foot bed. I have the five (?) torn bolts in the bed, which I believe means I already have Ford's rails under the bed.
What I am buying - 2002 Flagstaff 8528 RLS.

I am not going to be towing this on a regular basis. Ideally, I'll only be driving about 500 miles round trip and drop it off at a seasonal campground down the road for him to move into. So I don't need the fanciest whiz-bang hitch available.
A used one would be best, in fact. But, when I start shopping, I'm not really sure what parts I need to connect a hitch to the rails under the bed. How do I ensure I am buying a hitch to fit?
The dry weight is 6510 lbs. and GVWR is 8290 lbs. so I'm thinking a 16k hitch will suffice.
Suggestions?

Thanks!

Edit: sadly, I don't know anyone with a truck already set up with a hitch, either...

Old 01-17-2017, 01:44 PM
'65Ford
Cargo Master
Received 263 Likes on 189 Posts
I like etrailer.com for hitches and hitch type accessories. They've always provided excellent service and I imagine they can recommend something good for you.

I'm a little hesitant to buy a used hitch unless I knew the seller. Some of those hitches get a good amount of wear from being on multiple trucks and traveling the country. They tend to get worn and sloppy.

Old 01-17-2017, 01:51 PM
wrvond
Cargo Master
Originally Posted by '65Ford
I like etrailer.com for hitches and hitch type accessories. They've always provided excellent service and I imagine they can recommend something good for you.

I'm a little hesitant to buy a used hitch unless I knew the seller. Some of those hitches get a good amount of wear from being on multiple trucks and traveling the country. They tend to get worn and sloppy.

Checked etrailer first thing. I think their least expensive unit is $415.00. And they all show hitches with some kind of box frame that I assume are mounts. Do I still need this to attach the hitch to my truck?
It seems like I once read somewhere that the Ford fifth wheel package was matched to a Reese hitch. Is this what I need to be looking for?

Old 01-17-2017, 01:58 PM
'65Ford
Cargo Master
Etrailer should have someone who can answer your questions. You have a "new" truck compared to me which I'm not familiar.

Old 01-17-2017, 02:23 PM
wrvond
Cargo Master
Holy Carp! If I looked it up right, the Reese hitch that the factory installed tow package is intended to be used with a their Elite Series.
I'm looking at $1200.00 for their lowest capacity unit!

Yep, I'm going to have to give the good folks at etrailer a call for sure!

Old 01-17-2017, 02:36 PM
'65Ford
Cargo Master
I just did a quick glance at etrailer and it looks like that square adaptor would let you use many different hitches with the Ford factory setup.

If you're not planning on using the hitch a lot you might see if an Andersen will work. I've never had one but folks that do like them and they're light for ease of removal. I'd want to know if it's compatible with a short bed.

Old 01-17-2017, 03:28 PM
kansas gary
Senior User
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Take a picture of the bed of your truck for us. I'm betting you do not the factory puck system in your truck. You might ask the seller that you are buying to 5th from if they will deliver it for you. If they wont go to the campground and ask the host there is they know anyone that might do it. You never know some retired couple might just want to help you out......

Old 01-17-2017, 05:05 PM
ExcursionPSD
Senior User
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Originally Posted by wrvond
It looks like I am buying a fifth wheel for one of the kids to live in, which means I need to add a hitch to the truck, but this is all new territory for me and I could use some help.
What I have - 2012 F250 Crew with 6.5 foot bed. I have the five (?) torn bolts in the bed, which I believe means I already have Ford's rails under the bed.

Thanks!

Edit: sadly, I don't know anyone with a truck already set up with a hitch, either...
I need to buy a clue.

What are "torn bolts"?

Old 01-17-2017, 07:03 PM
2009kr
Posting Guru
Received 9 Likes on 6 Posts
Originally Posted by ExcursionPSD
I need to buy a clue.

What are "torn bolts"?
Probably referring to the torx bed bolts.

Old 01-17-2017, 08:42 PM
wrvond
Cargo Master
Originally Posted by 2009kr
Probably referring to the torx bed bolts.
Exactly. I typed "torx", but my tablet fixed it for me.

Looking at the window sticker, I don't see any mention of fifth wheel prep, or anything that could be interpreted that way.
Wonder where I got the idea I had rails under there?

Old 01-18-2017, 06:07 AM
BeaverCrap
Junior User
You can get a brand new Reese 15k hitch with rails for around $465 shipped on ebay...... I did the rail install on my 2012 and it's pretty straight forward....drill 8 holes in the frame and mount 4 brackets that the 5th wheel rails will bolt into.

Here is a link to a Reese hitch that will work for you...it's a slider hitch which is always a good idea on a short bed truck.

Reese Pro Series 15k Fifth 5th Wheel Slider Short Bed RV Hitch 30076 | eBay

Old 01-18-2017, 07:01 AM
kansas gary
Senior User
The link that BeaverCrap posted will work just fine for your soon to be new camper to tow. Now as for the electrical hook-up you can just plug into the outlet at the bumper if the connection will reach or I think Ford makes a adaptor to you can plug in the factory wiring and move another one into the side of the bed inside..... I would just see if the wiring is long enough to plug into on the bumper before crossing that bridge. I see on the window sticker it has the brake controller built in so that wont be an issue.....

Old 01-18-2017, 07:28 AM
System
Prolocutor
Received 1,206 Likes on 579 Posts
Originally Posted by wrvond
Exactly. I typed "torx", but my tablet fixed it for me.

Looking at the window sticker, I don't see any mention of fifth wheel prep, or anything that could be interpreted that way.
Wonder where I got the idea I had rails under there?
You don't have the prep. If you did you'd have the pucks in your bed to mount the hitch to. That said, it can be added after the fact. You'll also need the 7 way plug installed in your bed sidewall for the 5ths umbilical. The Reese Elite prep you likely can't find used but it can be purchased from etrailer or any other online retailer. The hitch itself can VERY often be found on craigslist for much less than new. 18k units often sell for $500 or less on CL. The most I could get for my 25k Elite was $700. There are also other less expensive options that work with the hidden OEM/Elite type prep. The best value is the Curt. Q24 or Q25 with OEM legs. It can be had on CARiD for under $700 delivered. They also offer a 10% military discount if you are a vet. Whatever you decide, don't get a hitch with rails. Get the underbed prep. It's so much better and will keep your nice flat bed floor.

As to etrailer, they are never the cheapest to begin with. However, once you buy from them, do a search on the net for the identical product for less on another website. You then send them the link to the lower price you found and you'll get a refund for 110% of the difference in price making them the best deal on the net.

Old 01-18-2017, 08:41 AM
kansas gary
Senior User
Actually on my old truck I had the Reese 5th with the bed rails and I used the bed rails all the time with the 5th wheel removed to help tie down all kind of different things in the truck bed. They never did get in the way in loading anything in my truck. They defiantly came in handy for tying odd things loaded inside the bed..........

Old 01-19-2017, 07:02 AM
Slowpoke Slim
Laughing Gas
Received 22 Likes on 16 Posts
That's a good point I guess about the above bed rail system, using them for tie downs. So that is a positive aspect of the type.

My last 5er hitch was the above bed rail type (Reese), and I grew to hate them. At least for my truck uses, they always seemed to be a pain in the butt. Moving heavy gear, appliances, gun safes, engines, pallets of whatever. It was a pain having to lift things up and over those rails, instead of just sliding them across the bed. Made everything harder. Plus when hauling dirt, sand, gravel, whatever, getting that stuff OUT of the rails so I could then use my hitch again (when the time came), was also a pain in the butt.

So much so that I didn't even want a 5er again when it came time for a new rig (truck and trailer). Glad I "found" the turnover ball style hitch, as for me, it made all the difference of still being able to do about any "truck stuff" without hassling with bed rails.

I think for as little use as you have for a 5er, if I were you OP, I would just try to find someone to move it for you and spare the expense entirely. Now if you were going to get a 5er yourself in the future, then I would just go ahead and get a nice one now and be done with it.

Quick Reply: Need to add a hitch to my truck