Sponsored by: Halo Lifts

Weight Distributing Hitch?

Search this Thread

Old 08-04-2016, 06:34 PM
Gary Lewis
Posting Legend
Received 29 Likes on 27 Posts
Weight Distributing Hitch?

We are finishing up the prep for our tow to Lake Powell from the Tulsa area. The boat is a 25' Sea Ray that has a 4200# dry weight and the aluminum trailer is said to weight 800#. So, I'll be just a bit over 5000# since I'll have essentially everything out of the boat and in the truck - away from prying eyes/fingers. And, the fuel tank will be close to dry.

However, someone suggested that I need a weight-distributing hitch with anything over 5000#. So, I perused the 2015 F150 Owner's Manual and found nothing that said when such a hitch is required. But, it did refer me to the 2015 RV & Trailer Towing Guide, and it has the table below, which does say a weight-carrying hitch is limited to 5000#.

Do any of you have concerns about towing this weight w/o a weight-distributing hitch?

Old 08-04-2016, 06:44 PM
Tom
Super Moderator
Received 700 Likes on 454 Posts
Interesting Gary, I could have sworn it was in the owner's manual for the other trucks I've had. Just did a search of the '15 Owner's Guide and found no such reference.

So I ran outside to snap a photo. This is the hitch rating plate on mine:

I wouldn't worry about a WD hitch. Boat trailers are almost always lighter than the 10-15% you see on other trailers due to the engine weight behind the axle. Most trailers also have surge brakes that are incompatible with most WD systems out there. You should be fine.

Old 08-04-2016, 06:52 PM
Gary Lewis
Posting Legend
What a novel idea - read the label! So, I looked and mine has the same label, although mine is white.

Yes, having a small-block well behind the axle and the Bravo III outdrive with twin SS props hanging off the back will certainly lighten the tongue weight. So, while there's no way I can pick it up there's not a chance it weighs more than 500#.

So, my plan to put as much as I can in the rear seat area of the truck, and the rest ahead of the axle in the bed should make things balance out well for the truck's stance. Good! Thanks!

Old 08-04-2016, 06:58 PM
Tom
Super Moderator
Sounds like a plan Gary. Our boat is a bit lighter than yours, about 3,500 lbs altogether. No noticeable squat, and I'm absolutely certain the tongue isn't over 300 lbs. I/Os are heavy though, our 4.3L/Alpha 1 combo weighs just north of 1,000 lbs. Maybe 180-200ish on the tongue, and it tows great.

Old 08-04-2016, 07:00 PM
Gary Lewis
Posting Legend
I should have said that we have electric brakes on both axles, so no surge brake prob with a weight-distributing hitch.

Anyway, I'll post up pics in a few weeks as we get ready to go. Thanks!

Old 08-05-2016, 08:19 AM
seventyseven250
Lead Driver
Received 462 Likes on 337 Posts
I haven't towed many boats, but I have found they pull much "easier" than a travel trailer of the same weight. Probably due to the much reduce wind resistance.
I know if I had a travel trailer of that weight, I'd really want the WD hitch, just because the truck handles so much nicer with one. But as mentioned, if you have surge brakes, you may not be able to use one anyway.

One thing to note when towing without WD equipment is that your steering axle on the truck is now much lighter than normal. This can be extremely important if you end up towing through a rainstorm, or even more exciting, snow! Hopefully in your geography, it'll stay dry for your trip. that feeling of your front wheels scrubbing and pushing out through the turn because of insufficient weight is spooky to the say the least, and can be very dangerous at speed.

Food for thought also, some folks have been disappointed with the towing manners of the new generation F150, and they guess that it's lower curb weight is the culprit. properly redistributing that weight back onto the front axle would probably much reduce those issues.

So, long story short, you are fine, take it easy and enjoy your trip!

Old 08-05-2016, 09:45 AM
wrvond
Cargo Master
Received 67 Likes on 47 Posts
I'm on board with everyone else. Likely not any kind of issue. But, being CDO (it's like OCD except the letters are in the correct order), I'd have to measure the bumper heights with and without the boat hooked up. If the front comes up more than half an inch or so I'd consider some kind of remedial action.

Old 08-05-2016, 05:17 PM
Gary Lewis
Posting Legend
Good ideas, guys. Thanks.

I have electric brakes, meaning not surge, so that's not a problem. And I don't think the tongue weight of the boat is going to be either. I say that because I crated up my 400 and took it to the shipping terminal on Tuesday, and the truck shrugged it off. According to Tim, the crate had to weigh at least 650 lbs, and it sat just barely inside the bed - just far enough the tailgate would close. So, the surely less than 500 lbs of tongue weight won't be an issue.
I will, however, pack everything that can be packed into the rear seat area of the truck to get the extra weight between the wheels. And that will include everything in the boat that isn't bolted down. So the truck will be loaded such that there should be plenty of weight on the front wheels. But, I'll measure and make sure.

Thanks again!

Old 08-05-2016, 06:05 PM
seventyseven250
Lead Driver
Received 462 Likes on 337 Posts
Originally Posted by Gary Lewis
But, I'll measure and make sure.
Let us know.

Old 08-05-2016, 06:52 PM
Gary Lewis
Posting Legend
Will do, but don't hold your breath. The boat comes home in two weeks - right after the truck comes home having had the seat A/C TSB done. Anyway, once I get the boat home I can start unloading it, loading the truck, etc. Then I'll be able to check how the truck settles.

Old 08-06-2016, 10:22 AM
GlueGuy
Lead Driver
Received 223 Likes on 185 Posts
I'm with wrvond. Once you've noodled it out, you know what you expect, but a few simple measurements will confirm what you think you know (or don't).

Old 08-24-2016, 10:40 AM
Gary Lewis
Posting Legend
Here are the results. Guess I don't have a problem. These measurements were taken w/o my wife and myself in the truck and, while we are light, that should bring the front down the 1/8" it came up with the trailer.

Old 08-24-2016, 01:42 PM
GlueGuy
Lead Driver
Received 223 Likes on 185 Posts
You got some kind of twist in the frame or something, or is that because of an uneven surface that you're sitting on? The left-rear, and the right-front are high (opposite corners).

Old 08-24-2016, 02:08 PM
Tom
Super Moderator
Those numbers sound about right to me Gary. In the grand scheme of things, you aren't really loading down the suspension much. I expect you'll be satisfied with how it handles the tow.

When are you leaving?

Old 08-24-2016, 02:10 PM
Gary Lewis
Posting Legend
I'm assuming it is the driveway. I put the truck back where it was for the unloaded measurements when I did today's. I know that because the boat didn't move and the mirrors are a tight fit through the gate, so it has to be in the same spot.

Quick Reply: Weight Distributing Hitch?