Sponsored by: DP Tuner

transgo tugger vs valve body

Search this Thread

Old 09-08-2010, 03:57 PM
Duck Hunter81
Senior User
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
transgo tugger vs valve body

I am getting ready to do a tranny fluid change and have been considering a JW or BTS valve body. I just started reading about the transgo tugger kits and was wondering what the big difference is besides $150+. I am guessing that they don't do the exact same thing, plus I have also read that the tugger kit is a little difficult to install.

Old 09-08-2010, 04:54 PM
big poppa
Post Fiend
Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
The JW VB or BTS VB is just the easyiest way to do it if you don't want to get in the trans and do some operating as you will. I believe with that kit(TG) you do the same thing, mod the VB's plus the kit has pump mods, what you don't get with a hopped up already done VB. There is some good writeups, Tennessee Mike and Joe Izzy351 did the transgo-tugger kits and their trucks are still rolling with great results. Just read your sig, beings you don't have the DP Tuner yet get the BTS VB, this way when you get your chip Jody can burn your chip setup for your VB, doesn't cost any extra I believe.

Old 09-08-2010, 05:10 PM
KH85
Senior User
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Not sure about the VB, but I got a tugger kit and I absolutly love it.

Sorry that doesnt really answer your question but its always good to hear all related input IMO.

Old 09-08-2010, 11:54 PM
tinker934
Senior User
tugger

what more does jw or tbs do to the valve body then install the tugger kit for you. is sthere some extra drilling or something

Old 09-09-2010, 12:19 AM
Riffraff Diesel
PREMIUM SPONSOR
Received 48 Likes on 27 Posts
Originally Posted by tinker934
what more does jw or tbs do to the valve body then install the tugger kit for you. is sthere some extra drilling or something
Yes, they do much more than a tugger. All the kits do specific functions, and the tugger is only part of the equation. Your best bet is give John or Brian a call and they will be happy to explain it to you I am sure.

Old 09-09-2010, 01:09 AM
puller45
Senior User
Don't forget this one, I'm very pleased with mine. It has done all that was claimed.

http://www.dieselsite.com/index.asp?...ROD&ProdID=251

Old 10-11-2010, 07:33 PM
gregorsway
New User
Don,

Did you do your own install? Pretty straight forward?

Old 10-11-2010, 10:43 PM
lakerats
Senior User
I had the Transgo kit installed 2 years ago by RSB Diesel in Spicewood, TX. On normal acceleration I couldn't tell any difference although the shift points might have been a little higher than stock.

The BIG difference was at moderrate or WOT acceleration. Half-throttle: solid, VERY positive shifts with a slight head-jerk from first through third. WOT: Extremely smooth shifting with the points slightly below red-line with almost zero lag between gears. This truck hauls! I give a lot of credit to my mechanic because he knew how large or small to drill out the fluid ports to achieve the desired result. At the time I had no idea what I wanted so I just him to do it like he would want it done. One of the best mods I have ever made to this old truck. 165K miles and counting.

Old 10-12-2010, 07:02 AM
JPs2003
Senior User
Not to hi-jack the thread, but, I've heard of these after market valve bodies before. Do they help with the overall life of the transmission? Is it an easy mod to perform? My biggest concern is the life of the trans on my truck. I know it will need to be replaced someday (no problems at this point) but I'd like to delay that day as long as possible. I'm planning on adding a spin-on filter and larger cooler (I believe the 6.0 cooler is recommended by many here). Would a new valve body help in my pursuit to keep my trans going as long as possible?

JP

Old 10-12-2010, 07:19 AM
Izzy351
Post Fiend
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Originally Posted by Riffraff Performance
Yes, they do much more than a tugger. All the kits do specific functions, and the tugger is only part of the equation. Your best bet is give John or Brian a call and they will be happy to explain it to you I am sure.
You have it backwards. The Tugger does much more than just accumulator VB mods, which is ALL you get when you install a mod'ed accumulator VB. You CAN mod the pump, internals, and TC lockup if you pull the trans, but even without pulling it, you do several mods to the main VB you wouldn't get otherwise. I can't argue with the results -- mine is holding twice the HP & torque as stock (knocking on wood!), and shifting is SUPURB:

Old 10-12-2010, 08:57 AM
Franko72
Molon Labe
I had the Transgo Tugger installed on my last rebuild, but thanks to the ignorance of the tranmission shop, that trans didnt last 100 miles. I cant comment on the shifts because I dont think they installed the kit correctly.
I now have a JWVB, and love the way it shifts. There is zero lag between shifts at any throttle.

Old 10-12-2010, 09:15 AM
Riffraff Diesel
PREMIUM SPONSOR
Received 48 Likes on 27 Posts
Originally Posted by Izzy351
You have it backwards. The Tugger does much more than just accumulator VB mods, which is ALL you get when you install a mod'ed accumulator VB. You CAN mod the pump, internals, and TC lockup if you pull the trans, but even without pulling it, you do several mods to the main VB you wouldn't get otherwise. I can't argue with the results -- mine is holding twice the HP & torque as stock (knocking on wood!), and shifting is SUPURB:
Sorry Joe, but according to BTS and John wood all the Tugger was made to do was double low clutch holding pressure in “1” for downhill use, and high speed pull-into “1”. Handle exhaust brake application and adjust shift firmness. Hence the reason John uses Trango parts, Sonnax and other kit parts as well as some he manufactures himself to come up with his VB, and I am sure Brian does something similar.

Old 10-12-2010, 09:31 AM
mueckster
Lead Driver
Received 15 Likes on 14 Posts
Originally Posted by Riffraff Performance
Sorry Joe, but according to BTS and John wood all the Tugger was made to do was double low clutch holding pressure in “1” for downhill use, and high speed pull-into “1”. Handle exhaust brake application and adjust shift firmness. Hence the reason John uses Trango parts, Sonnax and other kit parts as well as some he manufactures himself to come up with his VB, and I am sure Brian does something similar.
True. You really don't get the full advantage of the Tugger kit, unless you pull the trans and install the complete kit. I have the complete kit in mine, along with a few more things.

Old 10-12-2010, 12:09 PM
Toreador_Diesel
Retired Mod
Received 329 Likes on 173 Posts
Originally Posted by JPs2003
Not to hi-jack the thread, but, I've heard of these after market valve bodies before. Do they help with the overall life of the transmission? Is it an easy mod to perform? My biggest concern is the life of the trans on my truck. I know it will need to be replaced someday (no problems at this point) but I'd like to delay that day as long as possible. I'm planning on adding a spin-on filter and larger cooler (I believe the 6.0 cooler is recommended by many here). Would a new valve body help in my pursuit to keep my trans going as long as possible?

JP
When combined with a 6.0 trans cooler, they do...

February of '06 my original trans quit due to the one-way clutch (Thank you Ford) finally giving out. My truck was mostly stock with no trans mods, so once it was replaced I made sure it wasn't going to come apart again.

That very summer, I had DI Performance put in a Sonnax/Tricumulator shift kit and a V10 trans cooler. (I bought an SCT II shortly after the trans was built) The trans felt way better, but still seemed to be lacking on the cooling. 3 years and an accident later, I upgraded to a 26-row 6.0 trans cooler and my trans has stood the test of time 153K later (knock on wood).

The long and short of: it does indeed help becuase the trans doesn't have to work as hard to accomplish what it was designed to do.

Old 10-12-2010, 12:22 PM
JonathanN
Posting Guru
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Call John and he'll explain it, but his valve body is a body he took and reamed out and made sure it was straight. Then, he'll put his own combination of shift kits (the tugger and another) as well as aftermarket valves in the body. He also has his own custom accumulator plate (I think that's what it is... whatever the thing with all the holes that goes between the trans and the valve body). With the tugger, you have to drill holes in something (I don't know if it's the metal plate or the valve body) but you increase or decrease the size of the holes to get the desired firmness... if you over-drill, you're stuck. John has got it all figured out in one body so all you have to do is pop it in there. I have it and love it! Almost NO lag between shifts... it's as good as it's gonna be as it goes into 3rd since that drive clutch is worn. But he was knowledgeable enough to solve my transmission problem over the phone... I have whatever that funky valve is that makes sure the TC stays full of oil, about the only thing Jasper did right when building my transmission. I'd say go with a VB... it'll be easier and you'll know it was engineered to make sure everything in the transmission has what it needs... nothing more, nothing less.

Also, there was a fellow on here asking about longevity... supposedly, it increases the pressure on the clutch plates which reduces/eliminates slippage which increases longevity of your transmission. Sadly, I think mine is too far gone to get much more life outta it, but I still like the way it drives a TON better.

Quick Reply: transgo tugger vs valve body