1948 - 1956 F1, F100 & Larger F-Series Trucks Discuss the Fat Fendered and Classic Ford Trucks

49 Ford F1 V6 3 Speed

Search this Thread

Old 04-10-2009, 09:19 AM
S_Bman
New User
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
49 Ford F1 V6 3 Speed

I'm newbie to this and wanted to purchase today a 1949 Ford F1 V6. I found one and the seller is asking for $6,500. The interior has been redone and the bed has a sheet of steel covering the wood bed. In today economy is this a fair price to pay?

I've look over the article on how to evaluate a classic truck. But, any additional info would be helpful.

Thanks..

Old 04-10-2009, 10:11 AM
havi
I'll have the Roast Duck
Received 46 Likes on 29 Posts
Welcome to FTE! (I'm like the Walmart greeter, lol) Anyway, you mention V6, yet mention the bed has the sheetmetal over the wood. It sounds to me like this truck was a restoration. It should be an inline 6 flathead. The sheetmetal over the wood is stock for 1949. So the price may go up due to "originality points". If you have a link to a photobucket page or something similar, we all can better judge what the truck is worth. We all like pics! Location may play into it as well. If you were up North like me, the truck would be worth more just because it didn't have rust on it. Shouldn't be as much of an issue down South. But it's hard to tell without seeing pics. My $.02

Now if it is a V6, then the truck has likely been reworked to the PO's liking, and could be either shoddy workmanship, or really good. Either way, originality is thrown out the window, and it would all be based on workmanship at this point...in which case $6500 seems a tad high, unless everything has been gone through (all bearings, seals, tranny, engine, etc...) and good repaint. Again, My $02

Old 04-10-2009, 11:13 AM
S_Bman
New User
Old 04-10-2009, 11:37 AM
4tl8ford
Post Fiend
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
For $6500 you should just have to change the registration to your name and be able to drive it forever with just routine maintenence - actually for that price I would insist the seller come by once a week and give it a wash and wax at least till the end of Summer.

Old 04-10-2009, 01:11 PM
Links_vette
Senior User
Here's a link to a web page I put up to share the progress on my '49 F1 with distant friends. I over paid at $3,500 for a truck that didn't start, has no brakes, and the tires are shot. But I got it from my neighbor and didn't try haggling the price down as he really needed the money.

Peterson's 49 Ford - AKA The 2nd Mid Life Crisis

Old 04-10-2009, 01:52 PM
S_Bman
New User
For your project. How much do you think you have invested so far?

Here's the link for the one I was looking at. I was having trouble getting pictures added. It sounds like it is priced to high. What would would be a good offering price?

Link:
s696.photobucket.com/albums/vv325/s_bman

Old 04-10-2009, 02:05 PM
havi
I'll have the Roast Duck
Received 46 Likes on 29 Posts
here's one pic for everyone to look at.

Old 04-10-2009, 02:28 PM
Links_vette
Senior User
according to my spread sheet i have $1,377.35 (give or take a few missed receiptes at NAPA) into the truck so far. Few more parts to put back on next week and she'll hopefully run and stop. Then on to finishing the 12V conversion and interior. I suspect I'll have at least $5K in parts and labor in it before I call it "good enough for who it's for."

From the pix it looks nice, though it does appear that the running boards are beaten up a bit but the fenters, door, hood, and tailgate look smooth. And the wheels and tires look rather nice and the interior is very nice. Looks like a running, functioning, truck. I'd pay about what he's asking for it, if he/she willing walked thru the truck and pointed out every point of issue and concern with it. In my book, if the owner points out the flaws and not the perks they are honestly showing you the vehicle and want you to know what you're looking at buying.