6.0L Power Stroke Diesel 2003 - 2007 F250, F350 pickup and F350+ Cab Chassis, 2003 - 2005 Excursion and 2003 - 2009 van

Left me stranded for the first time!!!!!!!!

Search this Thread

Old 10-04-2007, 06:21 PM
Reave1
Senior User
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Left me stranded for the first time!!!!!!!!

Returned my truck to stock today to take my truck in for its oil change. On the way there I stopped for a coffee and shut it down. Came out and fired up and made it about a mile then loss of power and no boost. Pulled to side of road and waited it out. After several fire ups I concluded that it was running very rough and had no power. Called the tow truck. Tow truck came and it was a mini wrecker, low and behold he tried to lift up my truck and his tires came off the ground LOL! Naturally he had to go back and get the flat bed. During that time I fired up the truck again and it ran fine? WTF im now thinking. Drove it 10 miles to my office and at the last leg it started losing power again and barely stayed running. So I continued limping right to my dealer. It now is sitting at the dealer waiting for a diagnosis. WTF!!! No smoke, just seems like its missing and has no power. Anybody got an idea? I am so upset it is not even funny.

Old 10-04-2007, 06:26 PM
npccpartsman
Hotshot

Received 69 Likes on 43 Posts
05--I'm voting HPOP fitting cracked/broken if you haven't had it done already. It's losing high pressure oil to the injectors making it miss. It's a common problem on the 05's. You're the second one in 5 minutes I've typed this on--LOL (not laughing at your problem BTW). Call the dealer and make sure you schedule it in when it's HOT because when it cools down it might restart. It will eventually leave you stranded again.

Old 10-04-2007, 06:29 PM
Reave1
Senior User
Unfortunately its sitting at the dealer right now. They will probably look at it cold think it will still show a problem? If not it is going to cost me 200 an hour. Does this problem throw codes? I ran my sct and it got nothing.

Old 10-04-2007, 06:31 PM
smokin_6.0
Senior User
how long on fuel filters??

Old 10-04-2007, 06:35 PM
Reave1
Senior User
39,000 on motor think they were replaced at about 28,000

Old 10-04-2007, 06:48 PM
npccpartsman
Hotshot

It should cost you no more than $100 deduct. since it's covered under the 5yr/100K warranty and you obviously haven't surpassed either. I don't think it will show a code. There is a TSB on this so your dealership should know. If not then you can go armed with the knowledge. This normally occurs with the motor at normal operating temperature, so make sure they take it out and drive it decently hard to get the oil good and hot.

Old 10-04-2007, 06:54 PM
Reave1
Senior User
Will a good tech know almost automaticly from my description to the service rep? He wrote it up "customer states engine runs rough, lacks power at times, starts good mostly when warm" does that sum it up enough for the tech to know it is probably that problem? I am worried cause he said if they can't replicate it it will cost me 200 an hour.

Old 10-04-2007, 07:03 PM
npccpartsman
Hotshot

No--tell him it's a hot no start problem and truck will start after it cools for a while. Tell him it's symptomatic of a broken HPOP connector and that there is a TSB on it. Charging you $200/hr is a total ripoff. Where is your dealer so I don't ever go there?

Old 10-04-2007, 07:58 PM
Reave1
Senior User
For some reason the guy was a ***** to me when I dropped my truck off. This is a great dealer and they are the ones who flawlessly fixed my oil leak by removing my engine. For some reason though he made it a point to repeatdly tell me that if they cannot replicate it they will charge me 200 an hour for time spent. I wanted to puch him in his fat face. I get so sick feeling when my baby has to go to the doctor. Just wish I knew how to fix it myself insted of deling with all this BS every time i want somthing fixed.

Old 10-04-2007, 08:08 PM
npccpartsman
Hotshot

I understand your frustrations well. If I hadn't had a couple of hellacious tutors on this motor I would be totally lost (THANKS MATT AND CURTIS!!!). I hate anyone to touch my vehicles because I know they won't give it the same TLC I would. Take a deep breath, talk to the SA (doesn't necessarily stand for service advisor) like you KNOW what you're talking about and proceed as calmly as you can. If he understands that he can't talk BS to you then you've got him by the kahuna's from the get go and you've won.

Last edited by npccpartsman; 10-04-2007 at 08:12 PM.
Old 10-04-2007, 08:13 PM
LvTitan
Posting Guru
Originally Posted by Reave1
Unfortunately its sitting at the dealer right now. They will probably look at it cold think it will still show a problem? If not it is going to cost me 200 an hour. Does this problem throw codes? I ran my sct and it got nothing.
there is a tsb on this for the 05 so bring it up and have them do the upgrade even if it turns out that is not the problem. and i would have them inspect each and every injector because low fuel kills injectors and you dont want to have this incident cause damage that might not fully realize itself till you are out of warranty and then stuck paying for something that was a recall to begin with.

Old 10-04-2007, 08:17 PM
LvTitan
Posting Guru
Originally Posted by Reave1
For some reason the guy was a ***** to me when I dropped my truck off. This is a great dealer and they are the ones who flawlessly fixed my oil leak by removing my engine. For some reason though he made it a point to repeatdly tell me that if they cannot replicate it they will charge me 200 an hour for time spent. I wanted to puch him in his fat face. I get so sick feeling when my baby has to go to the doctor. Just wish I knew how to fix it myself insted of deling with all this BS every time i want somthing fixed.
he can tell you till he is blue in the face that it will cost you money. but here are the simple facts.

you own a vehicle that is under warranty. your vehicle is not functioning properly. you have a right to have it fixed under warranty. if they cannot replicate the problem, then you will take it to a dealer who knows more about the vehicle, but you will NOT UNDER ANY CIRCUMSTANCES pay one red cent out of your pocket for their inadequacies to find/resolve your problem.

Old 10-04-2007, 08:25 PM
Reave1
Senior User
Thanks guys. I feels good to know that when we have problems we can vent here and have each other for comfort. Think someone can bail me out if I choke this guy tommorow?

Old 10-04-2007, 11:18 PM
Dieselman929
Senior User
Well ? How did you make out?

Old 10-05-2007, 12:23 AM
Kep4
Jäger
Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts
Here's the TSB:

2005-07 F-SuperDuty/Excursion No-Start, High Pressure Oil System Leak:
Some trucks may develop an oil leak at the high pressure oil pump outlet fitting. This will cause a no-start condition as the computer needs to see at least 500 PSI before it will activate the injectors. In some cases the no-start will be intermittent and/or an intermittent stall with no codes will occur. If high pressure oil leak diagnosis indicates a leak at the pump, the pump outlet fitting (W301727) and the discharge tube block should be replaced with fitting and bracket kit 4C3Z-9B246-A. Do not torque the outlet fitting beyond 38 ft/lbs. If the leak is traced to the branch tube running through the engine block, replace with P/N 5C3Z9J332-B (requires removal of the transmission, flywheel and rear engine cover; new flywheel bolts required). TSB 06-14-6.
The following bulletin may be related:
Metal Tapping Noise from Rear of Engine:
Excursions built after 1-10-05 and 2005/06 F-SuperDuty may have a metal tapping noise from the rear of the engine on decel or light acceleration, or under loads when the high oil pressure is at higher levels. This may be due to a damaged/improperly fitting HP oil pump output quick connect fitting. To diagnose, you will need a scan tool with active command capability. Command the IRP duty cycle to 45% and listen at the high pressure oil pump cover with a stethescope as the engine speed is increased to 2800 RPM. If the noise is louder on the pump cover than on other parts of the engine, the pump cover will need to come off to inspect and replace the fitting. Broadcast Message 5511.