6.0L Power Stroke Diesel 2003 - 2007 F250, F350 pickup and F350+ Cab Chassis, 2003 - 2005 Excursion and 2003 - 2009 van

Superchips Programmer or??????

Search this Thread

Old 05-31-2007, 12:29 PM
electrified_cc
Senior User
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Question Superchips Programmer or??????

Hello all. Hoping someone can give me some help. A while ago I installed the superchips programmer in my truck. My truck is a 2004 F-350 Crew Cab Dually Lariat with 4.10 gears, limited slip. Mods I have done are Magnaflow 4" dual exhaust straight pipe no cat ( sounds awesome!!), disconnected EGR, removed throttle plate, K&N intake. I had the programmer tuned for performance mode and went and pulled my 38' 5th wheel camper a couple of times The camper weighs in at 17K. Well guess what, stretched the head bolts... Kinda my fault. Cannot do with these 6.0 that you could do with the 7.3. Anyway.. now new head bolts and no programmer installed. Was thinking of re-installing the superchips program but just the tow mode selection since my truck spends 75% of its time when I am using it, pulling a trailer of some sort. My truck only has 28K miles on it. What does everyone think? I have been told maybe I should look into the SCT from Long Insland Performance. Was going to trade the truck in for a 2008 6.4 but I think I am going to give that motor a year first before I buy one.

Old 05-31-2007, 12:47 PM
OZX1
Posting Guru

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
BAD IDEA!
Originally Posted by electrified_cc
K&N intake.
I had the programmer tuned for performance mode and went and pulled my 38' 5th wheel camper a couple of times The camper weighs in at 17K. Well guess what, stretched the head bolts... Kinda my fault.
I think that you have the right idea now... Lose the K&N and put on the stock intake, and give the SCMT a chance at the tow setting. Doesn't the programmer ask you about the towing and tow weight AS you program the truck? Mine does... Stick with this in mind: If you you may stay out of the woods.

Last edited by OZX1; 05-31-2007 at 12:59 PM.
Old 05-31-2007, 12:49 PM
electrified_cc
Senior User
It does ask you. but I like the power... Been told that abouth the K&N... Wish I had not thrown my old intake away...

Old 05-31-2007, 12:51 PM
electrified_cc
Senior User
I am asking this question cause I do not want to stretch the bolts again..

Old 05-31-2007, 12:53 PM
OZX1
Posting Guru

It does ask you. but I like the power... Been told that abouth the K&N... Wish I had not thrown my old intake away...
My older SCMT1704 asks a lot of questions... So, you have a powerPaq? My 1704 is updated to the same level as your's then. I like the power too, but I know the grenade effect just isn't worth it. Mine tows better than imaginable on tow-mode, FAR superior to stock, but not a EGT thermal meltdown. I see stock intakes for sale on craigslist.org from time-to-time. Maybe you can keep a lookout?

Last edited by OZX1; 05-31-2007 at 01:01 PM.
Old 05-31-2007, 12:55 PM
OZX1
Posting Guru

I am asking this question cause I do not want to stretch the bolts again..
Did you replace the bolts with the performance stuff? And I wonder, did you get the warranty to cover this?? It's kind of a warranty killer to break so many rules.

Last edited by OZX1; 05-31-2007 at 01:00 PM.
Old 05-31-2007, 01:41 PM
electrified_cc
Senior User
Talking

Well got covered by warranty. Ford refused to pay for it, but the dealer paid for it. See I usually by a new truck every 3 years and a new car for my wife every 3 years. So the dealer TAKES VERY good care of me. Anyway.. the head bolts were replaced well let's just say with Ford Bolts... Know a few people at Kaman Areospace lets just say.. Get the drift? Heard of titanium? But do not want to do any more damage. But I did notice my EGT's went down around 150 degrees by disconnecting the EGR as per Mike's (from Long Island Performance) instructions and noticed better throttle response with a slight increase in mileage.

Old 05-31-2007, 01:56 PM
OZX1
Posting Guru

Well got covered by warranty. Ford refused to pay for it, but the dealer paid for it. See I usually by a new truck every 3 years and a new car for my wife every 3 years. So the dealer TAKES VERY good care of me. Anyway.. the head bolts were replaced well let's just say with Ford Bolts... Know a few people at Kaman Areospace lets just say.. Get the drift? Heard of titanium? But do not want to do any more damage. But I did notice my EGT's went down around 150 degrees by disconnecting the EGR as per Mike's (from Long Island Performance) instructions and noticed better throttle response with a slight increase in mileage.
Well, if you have leverage over your dealer and a supply of aerospace quality replacement parts, go for it. I'm just thinking that the motor will run as hard as it can, for as long as it can--trailer or no trailer. The question is; "Do you feel lucky?" BTW, don't advertise too much about midnight aerospace supplies. The FAA is looking to corral that stuff. I'm in aerospace compliance, so it's an item that I'm familiar with. Now, I'm off to disconnect my BRAND NEW EGR! The dealer was kind enough to replace my bad one (stuck open).

Old 05-31-2007, 02:36 PM
electrified_cc
Senior User
Thanks!!.. Noted.. Anyway, my truck has had 3 so far.. hmm..all clogged... Look in this forum and Mike explains what to do... Very easy.. Took me about a 1/2 hr for everything. Disconnect and remove EGR and clean, reinstall EGR but leave disconnected, throttle plate removed if your 6.0 has one. I think I will try and install the tow mode. I will be leaving for a ford show at Carlisle PA in the morning, pulling an empty 20' cargo trailer.. JUST IN CASE. I may buy something..LOL..

Old 06-01-2007, 08:15 PM
FatDutchMn
Senior User
What year models have the throttle plate? How do you determine for sure and is it necessary to remove after unplugging the EGR?

Old 06-01-2007, 08:22 PM
toolman05kr
Senior User
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
I.m.o. I would not install a programmer until a set of arp head studs were done first.

Old 06-01-2007, 09:55 PM
blackhat620
Postmaster
Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
Originally Posted by FatDutchMn
What year models have the throttle plate? How do you determine for sure and is it necessary to remove after unplugging the EGR?
Up through 2004, they were deleted on the 2005 and later models.

Old 06-01-2007, 10:03 PM
mrxlh
Postmaster
Originally Posted by toolman05kr
I.m.o. I would not install a programmer until a set of arp head studs were done first.
Not quite true. I would not install a tuner until I had an exhaust, and a full set of gauges and knew how to read them/drive the truck. Even with the Hot file I am running from LIPD I am not over stock boost pressure. Matts ultra econo file is less than stock by 4 psi. The tranny will see maximum life by being tuned properly with a tuner, unlike the factory programming that these trucks come with.

Old 06-02-2007, 01:53 AM
FatDutchMn
Senior User
Thanks for info on throttle plate for 05 model.

Last edited by FatDutchMn; 06-02-2007 at 01:58 AM.
Old 06-02-2007, 07:24 AM
davisenvy
Senior User
I had my Superchips set on Performance Tune and blew a turbo towing a 4k lb trailer. The dealer replaced with no questions aksed. Since then I have had it set on Tow and not had a lick of problems since. In Tow performance you still have around 425 hp and 700 ft. lb. torque, its still no slug.