1961 - 1966 F-100 & Larger F-Series Trucks Discuss the Slick Sixties Ford Truck

electronic ignition system and exhaust manifolds??

Search this Thread

Old 11-24-2006, 04:58 PM
66fordf100
Freshman User
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
electronic ignition system and exhaust manifolds??

OK you learned Ford enthusiasts!
I have a few questions concerning my 390 2bbl V8 rebuild.
1. What about changing from the original distributor and coil to a new electronic ignition system.
What does this involve? Are there any other changes I need to make with an upgrade of this system?
2. I have removed the old exhaust manifolds and am having problems finding new ones. Is it a good idea to maybe have the old ones cleaned up at a machine shop and reuse them with the new rebuild? I believe it would be more economical in the short term.
3. Is it necessary to replace the exhaust pipes and mufflers with the rebuild? I beleive the mufflers really do need replacing but not sure if the pipes do?
All help is appreciated.
I hope all have a great Thanksgiving!

Old 11-24-2006, 05:05 PM
Torque1st
Posting Legend
Received 27 Likes on 27 Posts
For the electronic ignition there are at least two ways to do it. You can upgrade to a later model distributor and the Duraspark system. You can also use a Pertronics system. There may be other offerings by Performance Distributor one of our sponsors.

When you go with higher energy spark systems and larger plug gaps there is more of a tendency for the spark to go to the wrong place which is why the electronic systems use a larger distributor cap and thicker wire insulation. That is just something you might keep in mind.

As far as the manifolds go definitely have them resurfaced and cleaned up. You could also use headers which can be more problematic at times but the newer ceramic coated headers are great and last a long time.

Last edited by Torque1st; 11-24-2006 at 05:07 PM.
Old 11-24-2006, 05:16 PM
jowilker
Fleet Owner

Received 46 Likes on 44 Posts
I like the Pertronix ign. system. It replaces the points, and is easy to install. It cost about a hundred bucks.

Yes take the manifolds to a machine shop and have them dressed. I have long tube headers on my truck and don't recommend them. I have looked at drivers side 360 manifolds for both sides. The passenger side doesn't flow very well.

Can't see how rotten your system is, and I'd say that it's a call that you will have to make. If the budget allows and you are planning on keeping the truck for a while replacing the complete system might be a good idea.

John

Old 11-24-2006, 08:52 PM
chadwickma
Freshman User
I installed the Pertronix Ignitor II electronic ignition module and a Flame Thrower coil, both work very well. Very easy to install and no modification required.

http://www.pertronix.com/ignition_products/ignitor_2.htm
http://www.pertronix.com/ignition_products/ft_coils.htm

As far as exhaust manifolds, you should be able to find a set on eBay without to much trouble.

Old 11-24-2006, 08:57 PM
Redmanbob
Logistics Pro
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
My machinist wanted 45.00 a manifold to shave them but said it would go unwarranted unless the heads were done as well. He recommended just using the gaskets and slapping them back on. So far so good, but they were in ok condition and only 300 miles on the rebuild so far.

Dizzy hmm lots of choices.. buck for buck if I had to do something it would be head to a parts yard for Dura Spark setup(dizzy-harness), have it curved to your use specs and be happy.. If you have bling bling and want a simple clean setup a Davis DUI custom curved outa the box might be to your taste.. ???

Old 11-25-2006, 07:19 AM
ddavidv
Posting Guru
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Pertronix may be a bit more than the junkyard Duraspark but it's also a lot less work to install. Under $100 and has worked reliably in mine for several years without the Duraspark wiring running all over the engine bay.

New manifolds are now available. I saw then in the LMC catalog among others. However, unless your outlets are so badly corroded you can't get a seal I'd just resurface them and reuse. Just say NO to headers.

Old 11-25-2006, 04:21 PM
JS13
New User
anyone tried one of these performance distributors? I know the thread is for I-6's but their webpage has others. Or they the same as duraspark?

https://www.ford-trucks.com/forums/5...ngability.html

Old 11-26-2006, 11:01 AM
airharley
Postmaster
The DUI dizzy is a GM HEI distributor that has been adapted with a new base to fit on other engine makes. The system is pretty reliable but I don't agree with the $400 plus price tag attatched. I bought a system off evilbay for $100 that works as advertised which is just the same in design. I haven't been able to find one of these for the FE's though. I do highly recommend the Crane XR700 points replacement kit. The only differences between that and the Pertronics system is the Pertronics all fits under the distributor cap. The crane XR700 has an external box that you have to run wires for.