1961 - 1966 F-100 & Larger F-Series Trucks Discuss the Slick Sixties Ford Truck

Hot Rod Black as a color

Search this Thread

Old 06-10-2006, 10:30 AM
65F100project
Senior User
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Hot Rod Black as a color

Yesterday after many months of work I put the final coat of black epoxy primer mixed as a seal coat. I have slightly customized the truck by shaving the handles, gas filler, antenna, etc. and will be installing a lowering kit so I think the black look of hot rod black looks very good. I have been told black epoxy will eventually get chauky so I am thinking about using the Dupont Hot Rod Black paint. My freinds think it is ironic to do months of body work just to leave it in the matte black type finish.

This is actually suppose to be a practice vehicle for me to gain experience as I prepare to restore my '71 'cuda so maybe I should stick to the original plan of learning how to paint. Regardless, any options on Hot Rod Black done over a nicely prepared body? I somewhat worry that people might think it is just an incomplete project... Thanks, Don

Old 06-10-2006, 10:52 AM
Hoopdie
Freshman User
Don't worry about the other people....How do YOU like it?

I haven't seen it and I already like it.

Old 06-10-2006, 11:52 AM
65F100project
Senior User
You are right and I really like the look. I think the color will look good with the shaved handles. I just returned from the paint store and the paint man told me I can put a clear of the black which has the matte type look so I will look the same and will not getting chalky. I am going to finish the black epoxy primer as a seal coat this afternoon and then partially reassemble the truck to see what the completed package looks like. Before I apply the clear I need to decide on an accent color for pin stripes, etc. I need to travel next week so maybe the following week will be pin stripe, clear, and finally reassemble!

Old 06-10-2006, 12:59 PM
66beater
Senior User
Flat black usualy does look like you just haven't painted it yet, Unless you do something like pin stripe it, or add flames or other grafics to it. But who cares what others think if you're happy, right?

I met a guy who, back in the days of mini trucks, had dome extensive body mods to his truck, and painted the thing in grey primer. he liked the look so much, he left it alone, and sprayed his clear gloss topcoat over the sealer primor.

As for me, I like the rusty look of my truck so much, I plan to do a clear coat the outer body over the old paint and rust, to preserve it.

Old 06-10-2006, 01:37 PM
instig8r63
Logistics Pro
Received 121 Likes on 94 Posts
I would suggest using a one-stage urethane paint such as DuPont Chroma One and an added flattener. For sealing purposes and durability.

Old 06-10-2006, 03:15 PM
53fatfndr
Cargo Master
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
My '53 is done with a DP-90 epoxy primer. It is in the garage for about 95% of the year, so it doesn't get alot of sun exposure. I have heard that it will "fade" or "milk-out" with time, but since it doesn't have alot of sun exposure I'm not too worried. Down the road I think I will end up painting it a color anyway.

Old 06-10-2006, 05:40 PM
magee
Elder User
Primered rods are some of my favorites. To me they seem to have an all business attitude. If you like it...fuggedaboutit. Leave it and if someone doesn't like it, well....they don't HAVE to look at it, now do they?

Old 06-10-2006, 09:07 PM
BIG66PROJECT
Senior User
black is it

my 63 Caddy is in a flat black primer now the next plan was to put some gloss black flames in the front I love the flat black look go with it

Old 06-10-2006, 10:03 PM
gangstakr
Logistics Pro
Received 56 Likes on 34 Posts
Have a look at my 64 long bed. there's nothing finer then Primer. I just picked up new door handles and plates so that added chrome will set it off that much better. Don't worry about other's when I cruiz I get thumbs up everywhere I stop and people want to talk about it that's as good as it gets it's your ride enjoy it in all stages.

Staying low for now
Robert

Old 06-12-2006, 11:01 PM
SCWIDVICIOUS
Elder User
My view on this is to each their own.
Personally I want my truck to be like a mirror, but I have seen some of those flat ones looking nice. I see the beauty in all trucks, cars, ugly or not. I kind of like ugly cars myself. Its simply all in what you want.....if someone asks you if it is unfinished...just ask them "are they ever finished?" to which they will have no answer..lol

A friend of mine growing up had a bug that was in primer and cleared on top.

Old 06-13-2006, 09:57 PM
65F100project
Senior User
Yeah, one of my friends says I must love the irony of working so hard on it just to put it in the black primer... It might just be that after working so hard I am just pleased with this as a step... I am traveling this week so I have time to make up my mind. Time will tell...

Old 06-13-2006, 10:56 PM
SCWIDVICIOUS
Elder User
well the good thing about that is you can always change it when and if your ever ready. not like chopping or something like that thats so perm.

Used to be a chevette that ran around town we called papa smurf. the reason for its name was its crude coloring, that is when it was finally settled in the smurf blue/ white and red. Before that color scheme, it went through about 10 different ones that summer. seemd like every time he passed by it was a different color..lol It also had a home made sun roof made out of canvas that was screwed down over this gaping hole..hehe ohh those were the days.

Old 06-19-2006, 11:46 PM
headturnin65
Junior User
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Mine will stay flat black...........

for a long time. There was nothing wrong with the paint,............until..................my buddy and I were taking the bed off, to do some work on the back half, and ughhhhhhhhhhhhh, he dropped his side. I was never even upset, because I already had some sort of an idea to change colors, but didn't want to hurry the process too much. I figured when i finally had it done, I'd have to spend some big money, or learn how to do it myself. That was a year ago, and after i sprayed flat black, have decided i'm in no hurry to have it painted. Besides, it could be years until i finally decide a color anyways.
Picks are in my gallery, and i love hearing color ideas from anyone. Any ideas?

Old 06-20-2006, 12:22 AM
bgsuarez
Junior User
hey guys,

Hot rod black looks great, accented with chrome or graphics that's the look I'm working towards for my 66.

Brian

Old 06-20-2006, 09:58 AM
65F100project
Senior User
headturnin65 after much debate with my son we have decided on a color. While every car make has the burnt orange color we are going to use the corvette color called Daytona Sunset Orange. The indentations in the hood, bumpers, and window trim are going to stay flat black. We have not decided on how to handle the interior. I want to at least leave the dash flat black with the trim painted the orange color. I hoped to actually paint this past weekend but family events delayed the painting. This allowed me time to media blast a replacement front bumper I picked up at the salvage yard, a very heavy rear bumper which has been modified to wrap around and make steps behind the fenders, and the drive shafts. I also hung pullies in the shop to hang the doors, hood, front fenders, etc. Hopefully this will allow me to roll the truck outside under a fabric garage and then lower and paint each hanging peice without having to touch anything. With this setup I cannot make a paint booth so I hope everything turns out ok. Pictures will be posted soon!

Quick Reply: Hot Rod Black as a color