99 Ranger 4x2 Front End Noise

Search this Thread

Old 01-13-2005, 10:02 AM
SwmpG8r
New User
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Exclamation 99 Ranger 4x2 Front End Noise

Hey Guys,

This is my first post here, so please bear with me. I've got a 99 Ranger 4x2 with 45k miles on it. When I'm driving, I can hear a clunk sound intermittently on the driver’s side front wheel. It’s not related to the speed of the truck, but it just will occasionally clunk and I can feel that in the steering wheel. It’s probably happening with normal road bumps. I recently replaced the front brake pads myself and when I was doing this I noticed that the wheel has play when I push on the top or the bottom of it. To add to that, I've noticed that the rubber fitting on both front steering assemblies are cracking and/or already broken.

From what I've read I suspect that this is symptomatic of a bad ball joint. So my question is, does this sound like a bad ball joint? If it is, is this something I can probably fix myself for less than what I'd pay a mechanic? I'm reasonably mechanically competent, provided that I can see some diagrams to show me what I should be doing. If I go to a mechanic, how much do you guess this would cost to have to get fixed? How serious of an issue is this? Is my tire going to fall off soon?

Thanks a lot,
Brian

Old 01-13-2005, 02:45 PM
el conquistador
Posting Guru
sounds like the ball joints. it would cost you a fortune to have them replace by a mechanic.

Old 01-13-2005, 05:11 PM
djtdaveboy
Junior User
I was looking for the posts for discussion on the same problem. I have a "popping" or "clunking" noise in the front suspension of my 2000 Ranger with 66,000 miles on it. I can almost feel it in the steering column. I've had the lower left ball joint replaced about a year ago. And just had the upper left ball joint, including front end alignment completed in an attempt to solve the noise problem. The last repair cost $184. ( I don't consider that a fortune, but probably too much for what was done.)
I still have the problem, took it back to the same shop, and they couldn't find the cause.
Anyone got any suggestions?

Old 01-13-2005, 05:54 PM
rangerford
Freshman User
I would check the wheel bearing also.

Old 01-13-2005, 07:35 PM
SwmpG8r
New User
Originally Posted by rangerford
I would check the wheel bearing also.
Rangerford: I had somebody at work today suggest the same thing. I jacked the truck up this evening and took a second look at the play in the wheel. When I looked closely at the backside of the wheel as I was moving it I could see that the ball joint wasn't moving, but rather just the wheel itself. I'm hoping that you're right and its just a bad bearing. I'm going to try to replace the bearings this weekend and we'll see how that works.

Old 01-13-2005, 10:25 PM
el conquistador
Posting Guru
Originally Posted by SwmpG8r
Rangerford: I had somebody at work today suggest the same thing. I jacked the truck up this evening and took a second look at the play in the wheel. When I looked closely at the backside of the wheel as I was moving it I could see that the ball joint wasn't moving, but rather just the wheel itself. I'm hoping that you're right and its just a bad bearing. I'm going to try to replace the bearings this weekend and we'll see how that works.
thats good if the ball joints arent moving, wheel bearings are much easier to replace then the joints.

Old 01-14-2005, 11:29 AM
djtdaveboy
Junior User
I'm not much of a mechanic, but I don't see how a noise you can feel in the steering column would indicate a bad wheel bearing. Or am I misunderstanding what the feedback here is?

Old 01-14-2005, 12:38 PM
SwmpG8r
New User
Originally Posted by djtdaveboy
I'm not much of a mechanic, but I don't see how a noise you can feel in the steering column would indicate a bad wheel bearing. Or am I misunderstanding what the feedback here is?
I think the play in the wheel is causing it to pop in and out when I hit bumps and other road vibrations. Its causing both a sound and a slight pop/clunk that I can feel in my steering wheel.

Old 02-05-2005, 10:53 PM
ranger_blues
New User
just about bet it is radius arm bushings.

Old 02-06-2005, 07:34 AM
djtdaveboy
Junior User
Okay guys, I found out what the problem was with the popping noise in the front end of my 2000 Ranger. It was the left inner tie rod, cost me $84 to get it fixed including a front end alignment.
Just another lesson in knowing what you're doing. I finally got it to a shop who knew what to look for. I had already replace the upper and lower ball joints on the left side, with no improvement.
These Rangers don't have any grease fittings, coming from the factory. They're supposed to be good for life. But I like something I can put a little grease into once in a while if necessary.

Hope this helps someone out there correct their noises. Have a nice day. I'm going to Church. How about you?