Pre-Power Stroke Diesel (7.3L IDI & 6.9L) Diesel Topics Only

Need More Help with my 94 Pre-Powerstroke

Search this Thread

Old 11-08-2004, 10:03 PM
sarge2445
New User
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Need More Help with my 94 Pre-Powerstroke

First of all, I want to say thanks to all of you who have answered my previous questions. I feel like a bit of a dunce, mostly because the more I investigate, the more questions I have.

I now understand that increasing the size of the exhaust, and turning up the fuel pump, will give me more power. However, with this information I ended up with more questions:

1. Is there some way to modify or fabricate a downpipe from the turbo cowling? ATS and Banks will not sell just the down pipe--or at least that's what I'm told. ATS's system includes a new cowling that allows for a 3" down pipe, along with the rest of the exhaust system. It cost's 695.00. On the other hand, Banks offers their kit for my 1994 pre Powerstroke Turbo Diesel which includes a downpipe that fits up to the existing turbo cowling. I understand that this downpipe is mandrel bent, thus cutting off some restriction issues--but it's still a 2 1/4 inch pipe.

2. Is is necessary to turn up the fuel pump if you put on a new exhaust?

3. If you put on the larger exhaust, and turn up the fuel pump, is there additional wear on the engine? Will the boost increase possibly case a head bolt problem, i.e., "sucking" the head bolt?

4. What other reccomendations are there for gaining a reasonable amount of power for a reasonable price. For example, Bank's wants about 750.00 for a ten per cent power increase. This seems like a lot of money for the amount of power and torque you get.

Thanks for all your information.

Old 11-09-2004, 09:41 AM
BikePilot
Tuned
I also have a 1994 factory turbo. The truck is stock now, but my first mod will be gauges. I would not want to turn up the fuel without at least a pyro, otherwise I could easily get the egt's too high and melt something. I belive that the ATS turbo housing and downpipe would be well worth it. I would not get the banks kit because it retains the restrictive turbo outlet. You dont have to turn up the fuel when you add exhaust etc, however you will not get much of a preformance gain if you dont. With the ATS setup you and gauges you should be able to turn up the boost by a couple of PSI and turn up the fuel a bit. This should net considerable power gain. If you serch on google for ATS turbo housing etc, you will find plenty of places willing to sell the items individually. You may also want to look into a propane injection system. With all that you have mentioned you do not need to worry about head bolts, we are only talking about turning up the boost by a couple of psi (stock is around 5-7 psi, anything under 10 would still be quite mild). As long as you watch the egt's I dont think any of these mods would significaintly reduce the life of your engine.

good luck

Old 11-09-2004, 09:45 AM
BikePilot
Tuned
Forgot to mention, before you start modding, you may want to make sure that everything is properly set up in stock configuraton. When we got my truck it felt quite slow, but we found that the timeing was retarded a bit and the TPS wasnt set correctly. Setting the timing properly made a huge difference and setting the TPS (TPS is not the correct term, but you get the idea) changed the shift points of the transmission which made the truck feel faster. Some people have also found that the fuel is not properly set, i.e. you may be able to get some gains by turning the fuel up on the stock engine if someone has replaced the ip with one from a NA truck.

good luck

Old 11-09-2004, 10:19 AM
BikePilot
Tuned
here is a link to a place that sells the ATS stuff individually.
http://www.jhdiesel.com/ats_exhaust.htm

Old 11-09-2004, 10:28 AM
motovert2001
Senior User
Don't go beyond 11 psi,you will have a melt down due to the high comp.(21.5to1),I would make your own down pipe,or find a good ol' exhaust shop&go with 3" straight pipe.Turning your fuel up is good to a point,after so much it get bad mileage and loose performance due to being to rich(although it will get too hot on your piro before this).I have a 85 f250 with a 87 7.3 on a ats turbo,It runs awsome,pulls big trailers every day,makes my freinds 95 powerstroke look sick.Pioneer Diesel in nampa Idaho built my engine,after I blew a piston apart in a 6.9 with 25,000 on it(little too much boost is all we could figure)I took my original 6.9 out with 475,000 miles on it,200,000 of it was with a ats turbo.

Old 11-09-2004, 10:31 AM
BikePilot
Tuned
Just note that the factory turbo's had really small restrictive turbo outlets and the aftermarket ATS turbo's already have the 3" outlet installed. Making your own downpipe might also be dificult, though the rest of the exhaust should be no problem.

Old 11-09-2004, 10:56 AM
motovert2001
Senior User
I did not know that,Thanks Bikepilot.

Motovert

Old 11-09-2004, 05:52 PM
nogo73
Posting Guru
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Originally Posted by motovert2001
Don't go beyond 11 psi
I talked to people at ats and they got 17psi on an idi no harm. make sure your pyro is under 1200 degrees.