1968-Present E-Series Van/Cutaway/Chassis Econolines. E150, E250, E350, E450 and E550

Shaggin Wagon Design Questions

Search this Thread

Old 03-18-2004, 07:36 PM
Alpine Scrub
New User
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
******* Wagon Design Questions

Hi guys, I recently bought an '89 E350 ex-fleet vehicle, and I am currently cleaning it up and trying to design something for the cargo area to make it into something I could very comfortably live in for camping trips.

All my friends figure I should put a bed in the back and turn it into a full-on ******* wagon, but thats not my style, I want to be able to throw in bikes, fishing gear, camping gear, firewood, all that good stuff guys need to haul around. So I think that putting in some mounting points around the van that I could attatch a big hammock to would be a good idea - I could store the hammock rolled up, and when its time to sleep or set it up, I roll it out and clip it in with carabiners or something like that. Also, the mounting points could be used to hold bikes and gear still while travelling.

This is the first vehicle I have owned, and I am a super newbie when it comes to how tough vehicles frames and bodies are, but I'm wondering if its possible for me to hang mounts from the ribs that could take the hypothetical pounding of me and a couple of real fat chicks in the hammock? Or am I going to have to beef it up somehow (internal frame, braces.. etc.) I'm not into fat chicks or anything (not that theres anything wrong with that) I'd just rest easier knowing that it was built rock solid and could hold a couple energetic people if need be - I really dont like having to baby things.

I will post some pictures tonight here, showing where I was thinking, but I'm leery about how strong the ribs of the cargo area are.

Thanks for your help,
Alpine Scrub

Old 03-19-2004, 09:41 PM
BUDvanMAN
New User
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
You picked the right vehicle IMHO as the Econoline has a frame under it, not so with Chevy, GMC or Dodge. My 1st conversion was a 74 Econoline purchased new for $2300...went full ******* wagon with it....next were 78 and 79 Econolines, and an 84 Dodge, more for hauling dirt bikes etc. maybe i can help a little.. i haven't had a van for about 5 years, but Wednesday, i bought an 88 Econoline, a conversion van with a trashed interior which needs re-doing..and haven't quite decided what to do with it yet.
I also need to haul with it, and camp and travel in it. the last 2 fords i had, i built a bed frame in the back out of 2x4s and plywood, the 2x4s bolted to the left & right sides of the van stayed there permanently, and the cross pieces and plywood were removeable. Putting the bed on a platform gives you storage and luggage space underneath, and i put a dome light under the bed as sort of a trunk light. On my Dodge, i did the same thing, except that the front plywood of the trunk was hinged and screwed to the floor, and folded forward flat on the floor, and the plywood that the mattress layed on was hinged at the side and in the middle so that it folded flat against the wall. i used so-called piano hinges and it worked pretty well. In my opinion, the ribs on the sides will hold just about anything you want to hang from them. i hope this helps, and will look here often, since i am looking for ideas to use on my van.

Old 03-30-2004, 05:29 PM
turbogus
Laughing Gas
Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
I put carpet padding, then a short closed loop carpeting (hides dirt & dust) then put a metal framed futon in the back. when flopped out I've got a wall to wall bed in my shorty Econoline and when it's folded up it makes for a nice stable wall rack ( between the inner wall of the van & the BACK of the futon) The carpet pad & carpeting keeps the futon from sliding around and it's worked great for me over the last 5 years!