6.7L Power Stroke Diesel 2011-current Ford Powerstroke 6.7 L turbo diesel engine

Random mods talk

Search this Thread

Old 10-19-2023, 06:27 PM
speakerfritz
Hotshot
Received 1,075 Likes on 828 Posts
Random mods talk

I wanted to start this random WTF type of mods thread….basically folks say this and that makes no difference…you guys are wasting your money….

today I had a WTF moment…I started the day monitoring my SL percent which was 60%. I needed to get to 100% so I can clear some PIDs emissions not ready ( changed a map sensor so has two open pid not ready). So the plan was to hit 100%, then do the procedure to clear my two emission not ready PIDs.

but…

too a 20 minute drive on the highway…went from 60% to 16%, and my idash regen on/off showed regen was off. This would normally be a god thing since there was an ash burn down with our spraying fuel into the exhuast system…but..at some point before May 2024, I need to hit SL 100% so I can do the emissions not ready procedure so that my emissions will be ready. I.e., I need to drive the vehicle at regen”on” at 65mph, for two hours…then my emissions will be ready.

Old 10-20-2023, 06:01 AM
Overkill2
Fleet Owner

Received 6,755 Likes on 4,918 Posts
If that's the case, must have got EGT4 hot enough to have some good passive regeneration happening... What were the road conditions, flat or climbing, speeds? Were you monitoring EGT4?

Old 10-20-2023, 08:31 AM
speakerfritz
Hotshot
Originally Posted by Overkill2
If that's the case, must have got EGT4 hot enough to have some good passive regeneration happening... What were the road conditions, flat or climbing, speeds? Were you monitoring EGT4?
flat roads

deringer on 6
pm on max sports mode
pusher intake
methonal in mention to start boost at 12psi

speeds were 50 to 55

so 2 things come to mind…as discussed a few times…some of our mods may have questional benifet in piece meal form…but collectively…seems to make much more power and cleaner burn. So I plan on the banks 5” dpf bank pipe and banks intake filter box , and perhaps a vented hood …maybe in the spring of 2024.

to solve my 2 emission not ready PIDs , both of which need a on-the road at 65mph regen followed by 2 hrs of highway driving….i will have to shut off the derringer, pm, and methonal injection until I can get to 100% soot, this way I can do the on the road regen. Once done, turn everything back on .

these two PIDs came on after a few cels related to map sensor that once you clear the cels, the emissions status goes to not ready until you do a the secret hand shakes and vodo dances while sign chants in strange tounges.

i put the map spacer in so I think that will stop me from burning out map sensors.

I think I’ll set up an egt4 monitor on the idash,

Old 10-20-2023, 05:14 PM
scraprat
Lead Driver
Received 2,671 Likes on 1,368 Posts
I thought we were going talk about the Mods monitoring the forums...riskyyyyy.

Old 10-20-2023, 05:34 PM
Overkill2
Fleet Owner

Originally Posted by speakerfritz
flat roads

deringer on 6
pm on max sports mode
pusher intake
methonal in mention to start boost at 12psi

speeds were 50 to 55

so 2 things come to mind…as discussed a few times…some of our mods may have questional benifet in piece meal form…but collectively…seems to make much more power and cleaner burn. So I plan on the banks 5” dpf bank pipe and banks intake filter box , and perhaps a vented hood …maybe in the spring of 2024.

to solve my 2 emission not ready PIDs , both of which need a on-the road at 65mph regen followed by 2 hrs of highway driving….i will have to shut off the derringer, pm, and methonal injection until I can get to 100% soot, this way I can do the on the road regen. Once done, turn everything back on .

these two PIDs came on after a few cels related to map sensor that once you clear the cels, the emissions status goes to not ready until you do a the secret hand shakes and vodo dances while sign chants in strange tounges.

i put the map spacer in so I think that will stop me from burning out map sensors.

I think I’ll set up an egt4 monitor on the idash,
From Monday of this week to today when I got home at the end of the day, I put 570 miles on truck. I'm an EVOC instructor and we had the first platoon police driving course class this week but are at a amusement park parking lot out of county... long story and not relevant here. Today I put one mile short of 200 miles on my truck...

So I drove to my house from the park, about 35 miles, to grab my new Treadwright 18 inch tires to drop off at my buddy's shop as I was also picking up my newly powdercoated 18 inch steel wheels that I use in the winter time... new thread coming as it will be my first experience with the Treadwrights. Then jumped onto the expressway to get to town.

Anyways... truck went from 90 to 95% SL, on dash, when I was in town so I knew an active regen was imminent. Jumped back on the expressway I usually use to do regens on and once EGT4 reached 600 degrees plus, she started passively regening down... it went down from 135% to 118% on the iDash and the truck dash dropped back down to 90%. This expressway climbs in altitude heading south... once at the end and back heading north, it started to climb again. At 132% on the iDash, went back to 95%... not long after, once back close to town, she went FULL and then into regen and got back on to get 'er done.

Regen was 401 miles out since last one and was 22 miles long. Truck got down to 20%.

My point is this Fritz... when I'm on flat land driving, it climbs in SL % rather fast. The fact yours did not, and actually dropped, tells me that methanol injection must be cleaning out the substrate in the DPF and reducing soot... has to be because even though I use a fuel combustion catalyst, Pittsburgh Power's Max Mileage, it still climbs when the filter doesn't get up to at least 450 to 470 degrees... try that route again without the methanol injection going... I'm curious to see what happens.

My Derringer was in Level 2 and has been for quite sometime.

Old 10-20-2023, 05:39 PM
Overkill2
Fleet Owner

Originally Posted by scraprat
I thought we were going talk about the Mods monitoring the forums...riskyyyyy.
Mods here are excellent and very forgiving... not kissing butt, but things are different in the Club... while I have pushed the envelope here at times, nowhere near what I've done in The Club. Got suspended once in the Club for responding to a troll, wrongly I believe but I did my time and took it... I've got warned many times in the Club as well... anyways... back to MODifications...

Old 10-20-2023, 06:01 PM
Overkill2
Fleet Owner

Since this is a modification thread, and this video which I came across recently is about the mod of tuning with that evil word these days, deleting, I thought this would fit here...

The following 2 users liked this post by Overkill2:
Old 10-21-2023, 08:45 AM
JoeUser
Pusher of String

Received 383 Likes on 265 Posts
Very informative video, thanks!

Gotta remember "Don't lug the engine!", keep the revs up when hauling (especially on grades), and in my case, forget about deleting and tuning (way too many variables and ways to screw up my truck, lol).

Not to mean that I won't look into the Banks non-delete-type tuners, but they're not on my list of upcoming mods, frankly (truck runs perfectly fine for my use at this time anyhow).

The following users liked this post:
Old 10-21-2023, 09:24 AM
scraprat
Lead Driver
Received 2,671 Likes on 1,368 Posts
Overkill great video. Very informative I thought.

My 16 has towed the 5th wheel (16k+ #) more than 50% of it's life in the west. Maybe habit from my gas driving but I've alway locked 6th gear out on 6.7 before climbing the hills/ mountains just because I didn't like to lose speed and give it a little extra rpm. After seeing this video I guess unknowingly I might have been doing good to a degree.

The following users liked this post:
Old 10-21-2023, 09:53 AM
Overkill2
Fleet Owner

Originally Posted by JoeUser
Very informative video, thanks!

Gotta remember "Don't lug the engine!", keep the revs up when hauling (especially on grades), and in my case, forget about deleting and tuning (way too many variables and ways to screw up my truck, lol).

Not to mean that I won't look into the Banks non-delete-type tuners, but they're not on my list of upcoming mods, frankly (truck runs perfectly fine for my use at this time anyhow).
The problem, IMO, with keeping my truck in drive without locking out 6th gear, 50 mph and under, is just that, when climbing hills the engine will lug and you have to yomp on the Pedal to get it out of 6th into a passing gear. So I lock out 6th when I'm at 50 or less. I've been doing this for years now before I even knew the information in Bill's video because I thought it would create excess soot, not hammer the bearings... Who knew?

Old 10-21-2023, 09:54 AM
Overkill2
Fleet Owner

Originally Posted by scraprat
Overkill great video. Very informative I thought.

My 16 has towed the 5th wheel (16k+ #) more than 50% of it's life in the west. Maybe habit from my gas driving but I've alway locked 6th gear out on 6.7 before climbing the hills/ mountains just because I didn't like to lose speed and give it a little extra rpm. After seeing this video I guess unknowingly I might have been doing good to a degree.
Yep EXACTLY Rat!!

Old 10-22-2023, 09:59 AM
speakerfritz
Hotshot
Do you need a locker rear to do this “lock my 6th” stuff

i dont think I have a locker rear so locker talk doesn’t apply?

Old 10-22-2023, 11:57 AM
FishOnOne
Lead Driver
Received 1,535 Likes on 950 Posts
Originally Posted by Overkill2
Since this is a modification thread, and this video which I came across recently is about the mod of tuning with that evil word these days, deleting, I thought this would fit here...

https://youtu.be/ekJDvDQRD_I?si=jJt26ppvTr2c-GNz
Was sad to hear Bill passed away

Old 10-22-2023, 01:09 PM
FishOnOne
Lead Driver
Received 1,535 Likes on 950 Posts

It's a transmission function to disable 6th gear. You use your +/- switch on the gear shift **** to disable a gear.

Old 10-22-2023, 01:15 PM
Overkill2
Fleet Owner

By saying "locking out 6th gear," I mean using the plus (+) and minus (-) buttons to lock out 6th gear, or any other gear, by pressing the minus button and taking 6th off the display which makes 5th gear or any other lower gear the top gear...

Quick Reply: Random mods talk