2017+ Super Duty The 2017+ Ford F250, F350, F450 and F550 Super Duty Pickup and Chassis Cab

Talk me out of a Race Red F350

Search this Thread

Old 07-31-2018, 10:48 AM
gravedgr
Senior User
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I am normally a jelly bean color person when it comes to car color choice - red, green, blue, yellow, orange - but then again, I have driven a sports car for nearly 30 years, only having a truck for the last 3-4. I automatically gravitated to Race Red and Ruby Red on the SD, but after seeing everyone else's pictures have come to appreciate black, white and silver/grey. I think black would be too hard to maintain (I don't wash my trucks regularly, and I certainly don't detail them), and white would always be dirty. I love Ruby Red, but don't want a darker shade unless it is black.

So I think I'm down to Ingot Silver, Magnetic and Race Red. I like pictures of people with Stone Grey, but don't think it is for me. What I noticed is that there doesn't seem to be a "Show me your Race Red Super Duty!" thread and there don't seem to be a lot of RR pictures, so is the color unpopular? Is it a bad choice for some reason (other than attracting attention when you don't want it)?

I think I would be happy with silver perhaps a little more the darker grey, but I can't help like looking at the truck in bright, fire engine Race Red in the truck builder. Do I have issues?

Old 07-31-2018, 10:58 AM
BowtieConvert
Lead Driver
Received 2,651 Likes on 850 Posts
All I can say is that's a lot of in-your-face red! It will get lots of attention for sure. You won't be running those caution lights unnoticed any more.

Old 07-31-2018, 11:20 AM
dave91gt
Laughing Gas
Received 11 Likes on 7 Posts
We ended up with race red. Normally, we drive dark color cars and trucks. I've had several black, gray, dark green (older Wranglers), etc. wife's past two vehicles were ruby red.
But this go around on a Super Duty, we settled on race red. Primarily because there aren't many of them and also it doesn't show dirt as much. I am also tired of the upkeep on black.
So we bought a race red lariat and get all kinds of compliments.
Name:  photo453.jpg
Views: 4682
Size:  2.37 MB

If they would have had a Sport package or Platinum in this color it would have been first choice.

Old 07-31-2018, 11:25 AM
gravedgr
Senior User
Originally Posted by dave91gt
We ended up with race red. Normally, we drive dark color cars and trucks. I've had several black, gray, dark green (older Wranglers), etc. wife's past two vehicles were ruby red.
But this go around on a Super Duty, we settled on race red. Primarily because there aren't many of them and also it doesn't show dirt as much. I am also tired of the upkeep on black.
Attachment 261477

If they would have had a Sport package or Platinum in this color it would have been first choice.
Yours is one of the few pictures I found searching the forum for race red threads. I love your truck!!! I think it looks gorgeous, and that picture might have just sealed the deal on my order.

Old 07-31-2018, 12:32 PM
Tricon
Logistics Pro
Received 44 Likes on 35 Posts
I say go for it. You only live once and its only a truck, not a tatoo. Be loud.

I have an Ingot Silver and pretty much everything I own is silver at this point....but I do miss my bright red Tahoe from the 90's.

Old 07-31-2018, 12:37 PM
tfalk
Tuned
Received 40 Likes on 28 Posts
I just traded in my red 06, on the way to the dealer a race red passed me on the highway... I thought my 06 was bright, lol.

If it holds up the way the red did on my 06, it will be fine. I can't remember the last time I washed or waxed the 06, it stayed
out in the driveway the entire time I owned it and it still looked good...

Old 07-31-2018, 12:46 PM
wildcard30
Posting Guru
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
To me red means a lot of upkeep. Of course here in Floridah red vehicles fade the fastest and require constant washing and waxing to keep them looking good.

I had a Ford car that color, actually my wife did, but I was the one that had to maintain it. After a 5 years even with constant exterior upkeep, it started to fade and you could see the clear was starting to bubble just a bit on the trunk.

It made a quick trip to the dealer and turned into a Fusion in Ice Storm.

But to each his own. But you just don’t see a lot of that color here. They tend to spend a lot of in the garage.

My new F-250 is a dark color. Blue Jeans.

Old 07-31-2018, 01:07 PM
Raptor Rob
Senior User
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Originally Posted by dave91gt
Attachment 261477

Wow!! That's a Beautiful back drop!

Old 07-31-2018, 01:11 PM
roadpilot
Laughing Gas
Received 16 Likes on 7 Posts
Originally Posted by gravedgr
Talk you out of it? No way. I say ... JUST DO IT !!

Old 07-31-2018, 01:43 PM
Canaan Morgan
Junior User
Old 07-31-2018, 02:13 PM
LiquidSteam
Posting Guru
Received 13 Likes on 7 Posts
My previous SD was Race Red and I wanted to go with RR again but I let my wife choose between Black and Red and she chose black...... whenever I see a RR SD I wish I had gone with Red lol. Nice looking truck

Old 07-31-2018, 02:30 PM
stufarmer
Elder User
Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts
I wouldn't hesitate.

Old 07-31-2018, 02:44 PM
yitbos1
Cross-Country
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
You mean ARREST ME RED ? LOL !!! Looks good on the truck. I looked at a couple in that color and IMO, just MO, very bright for my tastes. Color is a personal pref.

Old 07-31-2018, 03:19 PM
gravedgr
Senior User
Well, I just ordered my SD in Race Red. It will fit in our driveway well. I have a Lightning Blue F150 now, a Race Red GT350 and I bought my wife a Hyper Green Rubicon last year as a surprise. All the neighbors have driveways full of black, white, tan or champagne colored cars. No mistaking our house, haha.

Old 07-31-2018, 03:24 PM
yitbos1
Cross-Country
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Originally Posted by gravedgr
Well, I just ordered my SD in Race Red. It will fit in our driveway well. I have a Lightning Blue F150 now, a Race Red GT350 and I bought my wife a Hyper Green Rubicon last year as a surprise. All the neighbors have driveways full of black, white, tan or champagne colored cars. No mistaking our house, haha.
CONGRATS !!! Enjoy. Thats all that matters

Quick Reply: Talk me out of a Race Red F350