1948 - 1956 F1, F100 & Larger F-Series Trucks Discuss the Fat Fendered and Classic Ford Trucks

T-98 or T-5 in my 52 F3?

Search this Thread

Old 08-20-2015, 09:26 PM
Scotty's 52 F3
Fleet Mechanic
Received 57 Likes on 50 Posts
T-98 or T-5 in my 52 F3?

This is my first post of my build. Just got a 52 F3 and I'm scrounging up parts. Found an Express box to replace my stake bed and a Dana 60 with 3.73's from a 72 F250. Now I'm trying to decide what way to go with my transmission.

My head is spinning after reading all I could find on trans options. I have the non synchronized 4 speed and really want an easier shifting manual trans.

Looks like a T-98 would be easiest.....IF.......I could find one. Or considering the T-5 swap.

I plan on keeping the V8 Flathead and would like to keep it as Ford as possible. Going 12 volt eventually and probably front disc brakes. A/C since I plan on driving it a lot and I'm in AZ. Otherwise, not a lot of changes.

I build my own engines, trans, diffs as well as my own welding and fab work. However, this is my first time into the Fat Fendered Fords. I have A LOT to take in.

Already finding how hard F3 parts are to come by. Drove a couple hours away for the rear axle and need to go across MANY states for the Express box.

Should I be patient and keep looking for a T-98 or start collecting parts for the T-5 swap?

Old 08-20-2015, 09:58 PM
jmadsen
Logistics Pro
Received 29 Likes on 20 Posts
Well. You came to the right place!. Welcome to FTE.
I also hope to put a t98 trans in my f2 someday. Ive also got an extra t98 trans that came out of a 51 f6

What does your stakebed look like? Is it ford script? A friend on here is looking for one.

Josh

Old 08-20-2015, 10:38 PM
38 coupe
Cargo Master
Received 109 Likes on 57 Posts
I don't think a T-5 is heavy duty enough for 3/4 ton truck use. I opted to find an early T98. Well, actually I found a T98 out of a Ditch Witch that has the correct case to bolt into my F-2. This option may work for you too, I just don't know where to get another rear bearing retainer / rear mount. My transmission questions and find are in this thread: https://www.ford-trucks.com/forums/1...-an-f-2-a.html

Old 08-20-2015, 10:43 PM
Scotty's 52 F3
Fleet Mechanic
Thanks for the welcome. This site is awesome! A wealth of information and FRIENDLY replies to questions!

No Ford script on the stake bed. I'm thinking it's home built? I'm too new to this to know what it might be for sure. Decent bed but, I always wanted a pickup. I was actually looking for an F1 but this was an unmolested, one owner survivor.

I still have to go get the Express bed I found. I'm in Florida right now on vacation. I'll head out on a road trip when I get home. Once I get it in my possession I'll try to sell the stake bed and the short running boards. The original rear axle and trans too. It also has super long mirrors. I don't want to get rid of anything until I have replacements on hand.

Once I get the bed and trans it's time to just start cleaning things up. I'd like to cruise it around and enjoy it a bit before I really tear into it.

The original owner had been using it for hauling hay and trash. It still had plates and registration good for another two years. Sadly he passed about two years ago and left it to his family. No one wanted it. It fired up and drove with two year old gas in it.

I was a little apprehensive to get an F3 stake bed but it was complete, no major rust, ran and less than half the price of any F1 I could find. Tons of F1 parts available in AZ but not F3's.

It's all there and freekin cool so here I am.

After searching this site it seems a T-98 is "almost" a bolt in deal. Depending on the year? Mounting ears or not? And a drive shaft length change.

Anybody know the specifics for sure? Any extra parts I need?

Old 08-20-2015, 10:44 PM
38 coupe
Cargo Master
Received 109 Likes on 57 Posts
Welcome! I should have said that in the last post!

The specifics for a T98, along with pictures, are in the thread linked to in the last post. You need to find a 1952 and older Ford T98 (or proper Ditch Witch) transmission.

Old 08-20-2015, 10:54 PM
Scotty's 52 F3
Fleet Mechanic
38 coupe, thanks for that link. Very helpful. What's a T-98 going for these days?

Old 08-21-2015, 03:59 AM
FortyNiner
Logistics Pro
Received 292 Likes on 170 Posts
Welcome Scotty! Of course, we'll expect to see pictures soon of your project. Spending some time just driving the old gal is the best plan before any work. Our own Bob Jones has helpfully collected some part interchange info that may be interest: Body Part Interchange Guide

Old 08-21-2015, 07:31 AM
49f3dls
Posting Guru
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Welcome to the madness. I had a49 F3 with a 5.0 an a T5. If I remember right the world class T5 will hold up better than just a T5. Better gears/seals and all the other parts and casing An adapter plate would be needed for the flathead but are available. Post pics have fun

Old 08-21-2015, 08:53 AM
Scotty's 52 F3
Fleet Mechanic
I had a free image hosting site I had been using that is no longer free. I'll be taking plenty of pics. Once I get the image thing worked out I'll be sure to post them.

I'm excited about this project and looking forward to the ...fun. My plan is to clean it up and drive it while collecting parts. I got hurt at work two years ago and long story short, got terminated after missing too much work. Three back surgeries will do that to a guy. Finances aren't what they were so some horse trading and parts selling are in order. Elbow grease is free.

My F3 gives me something to do now that I've been "retired". I've seen some of the amazing basket case builds/resurrections people have accomplished here. I am fortunate to have found one in drivable condition. Well.....drivable around the neighborhood.

Thanks for the warm welcomes. Really looking forward to this.

Scott

Old 08-21-2015, 08:58 AM
Flat Ernie
Senior User
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
What will you be doing with your F3? If just using it as a pickup, a T5 will be fine, particularly if you use a WC T5. If you're going to use it as a "big truck", then perhaps you might be better off with a different transmission.

Old 08-21-2015, 11:49 AM
Scotty's 52 F3
Fleet Mechanic
I'll mainly be using it as a cruiser but, will have no problem loading anything it will haul when I need it to. I doubt I'd tow with it.

I'm leaning more towards the T-98 but, if I find a smoking deal on a T-5 first I may go that route.

Old 08-21-2015, 12:04 PM
arctic y block
Post Fiend
Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
Here is how to post pic's on FTE

https://www.ford-trucks.com/forums/1...ure-guide.html

Here is one way by "Axracer"

Do you have digital pix of your truck from digital camera or phone on your computer?
If so it is easy to add them to a post (assuming the file is not too large). Find the
pic on your computer and leave it open while you come here in another window. Compose
a post, click where you want the pic to appear in the post. Click on the picture icon
at the top of the posting box (looks like a postcard with mountains and sun) A dialog
box will open asking if you want to drag a pic onto the box or browse your computer to
find it. If you have the pic open, go there, right click anywhere on the pic and chose
copy from the menu. Come back to your post and right click on the box. Select paste from
the menu. Your picture should appear (it may take a few seconds to load) in the box. Now
left click on the insert button.
If the stars all aligned your picture should now be in your post window. Select post to
have it appear on the forum or repeat to add more pix. Some cameras make huge files these
days that are larger than the forum limits. You may need to resize or resample the picture
and save the smaller file version with whatever picture editing software came with your
picture taking device before you can post it.

If you are a supporter than just right click on an image from anywhere like Facebook
or whatever. Than left click in your post and paste it in. So simple even a monkey
could do it.

Oh! and welcome to FTE and the old truck madness.

Old 08-21-2015, 12:14 PM
Scotty's 52 F3
Fleet Mechanic
I'll try this method to load pics when I get back from Florida. Still got 4 days to enjoy the beach.

I usually make a copy of my images and resize one for forum use. I post on other forums. It seems they all have slightly different ways of posting pics and the file sizes they allow.

Thanks for the tip!
Scott

Old 08-21-2015, 09:10 PM
Scotty's 52 F3
Fleet Mechanic
After doing more research and scrambling my brain even more I'm wondering about a T-18?

Looks to be the updated version of a T-98. Any thoughts?

My goal is the lowest cost synchronized transmission swap. A cheap trans, if I find one, isn't so cheap if I have to buy adapters, clutch, linkage, etc. to make it work.

Old 08-22-2015, 02:37 AM
Flat Ernie
Senior User
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally Posted by Scotty's 52 F3
My goal is the lowest cost synchronized transmission swap. A cheap trans, if I find one, isn't so cheap if I have to buy adapters, clutch, linkage, etc. to make it work.
I think a T5 is your best choice....

Quick Reply: T-98 or T-5 in my 52 F3?