Need opinions and or other options on an EQ

Search this Thread

Old 12-29-2010, 07:56 PM
AK FORD GUY
Posting Guru
Received 9 Likes on 8 Posts
Need opinions and or other options on an EQ

Well I have decided to go s different route in regards to my head unit and I am looking to buy an inexpensive yet functional EQ to add a bit of control and flexibility to the system.

I am looking at either the Clarion EQS746, Lanzar Vibe 440PSU or Lanzar Vibe 540P.

The only problem with the 540P, ist that it also has quite a few switches on the top and they would be hard to get to once the EQ is mounted.

Any insight on these would be great. Or, any other good options, just let me know. I'm still very open on the subject. My biggest driver is dollar (I'm looking between $40-$60) vs. options and quality. I am not building a comp vehicle, I just like to have flexibility in my sound system.

I plan to run a 2-shaft head unit (not one of the expensive ones) , EQ, 2 amps, door speakers and subs. I want to have the option to hook up to an ipod without using an FM Modulator.

Old 12-30-2010, 01:24 AM
fz1dave
Super Duty
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
I've done a bit of research on this and would go with the Clarion. I may end up with one myself.

Old 12-30-2010, 10:07 AM
AK FORD GUY
Posting Guru
Originally Posted by fz1dave
I've done a bit of research on this and would go with the Clarion. I may end up with one myself.
I've done a bunch also and I found out last night that the Lanzar Vibe line is built by Pyramid (or it use to be, it was an old thread). The Clarion has a lot of reviews, some good, some bad, but mostly on the positive side and that seemed good enough for me. I pulled the triger on it late last night.

Now I just need to come up with the old shaft style stereo that I want. I am looking for an old Alpine or Kenwood in good working order. There are a couple on ebay, but they want close to $200 for them, that's a bit of a reach for my budget for a used stereo. I have an old 2 shafter sitting at home to use until I find the one I want, so no rush on that one.

fz1dave - Thanks for all your input and participation.

Old 12-30-2010, 02:36 PM
fz1dave
Super Duty
No problem and good luck on your stereo search!

Let us know how the Clarion works out too.

Old 12-30-2010, 03:04 PM
2000silverbullet
Lead Driver
Received 11 Likes on 9 Posts
I used to have Lanzar subs in my '78 bronco in high school. They were $19.99. You get what you pay for...

Glad you ended up with the Clarion.

Old 12-30-2010, 04:26 PM
AK FORD GUY
Posting Guru
No problem and good luck on your stereo search!

Let us know how the Clarion works out too.
Will do.

Originally Posted by 2000silverbullet
I used to have Lanzar subs in my '78 bronco in high school. They were $19.99. You get what you pay for...

Glad you ended up with the Clarion.
Me too. For the price I bought it at, I should be able to resell it if I do not like it and not lose anything.

Any ideas on what was the better of the old 2 shafters.
So far I have found:

Kenwood
KRC-711 $250
KRC-1005 $70
KRC-2006 $100
KRC-2007 $100

Alpine
7124 $50-$129 depending on what it sells for.
7166 $200

Pioneer
2929 $100

JVC
KS-R27J $90

Optimus
12-2002 $60

Just what I've found so far. It's hard to believe these units are fetching the same prices as used CD Players.

Old 12-30-2010, 05:11 PM
fz1dave
Super Duty
I had no idea those things were so expensive. What do the want for an 8-track player? $300 bucks?

I really have no idea on which one would be better. Can't say I'm up to speed on those old units. It would depend on what I was looking for, RMS output, preamps etc. After looking at a few of them I would have to go with either the KRC-2007 or the Alpine 7166, though that's a lot of dough for the Alpine. I guess it would be the 2007 in the end.

Old 12-30-2010, 05:28 PM
AK FORD GUY
Posting Guru
the KRC-2007 is the way I am leaning too. Most bang for the buck (if you can call it that). Either that or the Pioneer 2929. I think I may sit on it for a while since the stereo is a ways away anyhow. I have one I could install in a pinch sitting at home, I think it's an old Roadmaster. I'll do some digging with some friends and see if I can come up with something local. If I can find a bunch of them, I might buy'em all up and put them on ebay, but for some more reasonable prices. I could make a small test station real easily.

Old 12-31-2010, 04:24 PM
AK FORD GUY
Posting Guru
As soon as I quit looking (almost), I came ascoss what I think I am going to buy. There is an Alpine 7167 that I am waiting for pictures of before I make my final decision. I looked for over an hour last night trying to find an image online of an Alpine 7167 and could not fond one for the life of me. I contacted the seller and he seems to be a Ford lover too (even beter), straight shooter and a good family man to boot. He is going to send me some pictures over the next couple days and then hold it for me if I want it. Once I get an idea in my head, it just never stops unil I get it resolved.

Old 12-31-2010, 06:48 PM
fz1dave
Super Duty
I know how that goes. Drives the wife crazy.

So how much for the 7167? Does it compare to the Kenwood?

Old 12-31-2010, 07:54 PM
AK FORD GUY
Posting Guru
So how much for the 7167? Does it compare to the Kenwood?
Should be around $60.00 and I'm not too sure how it compares because I can not find any and I mean ZERO info about it. He is spending time with his family and has kids home from school, so I told him not to make the pictures a priority. I am anxious to see if it is one of the digital tune or real old school ones that have no digital display at all. The digital ones look cool, Alipne decks had a nice green glow to the illumination. But the non-digital would be finr too. He said that it is still wired to a Majestic MEB-7300 Eq/Booster. Not that I need that, but depending on what it really is, I may be able to recoupe some of the money, or I may just hang on to it.

Old 01-01-2011, 12:12 AM
fz1dave
Super Duty
There sure isn't much out there on that unit is there.

I have managed to find you a couple photos though. All I had to do was become a member of the Classic Zcar forums.

Looks nice and retro to me.

Old 01-01-2011, 12:21 AM
fz1dave
Super Duty
I forgot, here's the thread where I found the pics, though you'll have to register like I did to view the photos.

The guy in post #8 has the Alpine. It's mentioned again in #13& #15.

Click.

Old 01-01-2011, 12:49 AM
AK FORD GUY
Posting Guru
YOU ROCK DAVE!!!!!

I found that link too, but my work computer would not even connect to the site.

That looks great, now I'm real excited to get that thing here. He said that he only ran it a little over a year in a Mitsubishi PU that he had in the late 80's to early 90's and it's been sitting in a box ever since. If he did not sell it, it was going back in the box to be stored in the garage for another 10 years. He actually seemed like a real nice guy.

Thanks again Dave. Man I sure wish I was at home instead of at work right now... (Jan. 5th can't come soon enough), but I sure am glad to have a good job too.

Old 01-01-2011, 09:36 AM
fz1dave
Super Duty
Hey no problem! Glad I could help.

Sounds like it will be basically brand new. And for $60?

Quick Reply: Need opinions and or other options on an EQ