6.0L Power Stroke Diesel 2003 - 2007 F250, F350 pickup and F350+ Cab Chassis, 2003 - 2005 Excursion and 2003 - 2009 van

Truck broke down with 4 DTC's present

Search this Thread

Old 10-09-2010, 09:37 PM
AndeyHall
Posting Guru
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally Posted by bismic
I would believe cheezit on the "rarity" of PCM failures before I would believe "the guys at your shop".

Anyway - hope you get it resolved and it is not too expensive!!

Did you ever check for chaffing or look at the IAT / MAF sensor connections?
The guys at this shop only work on PSD's. If you've ever heard of Powerstroke Specialty from powerstrokehelp.com, they're the same thing and been doing it for a LONG time. But anyways, I mentioned the chaffing to them, and they said they were gonna check everything that the codes bring up. They're extremely thorough, not one of those shops that gets it working enough to get it out of their hair.

Old 10-09-2010, 09:43 PM
bismic
Fleet Owner
Received 2,491 Likes on 1,728 Posts
Most all of us have heard of them. Not everyone has the respect for them that you do .

Anyhow - good luck w/ it!

Old 10-09-2010, 10:38 PM
AndeyHall
Posting Guru
Most all of us have heard of them. Don't get us started on commenting on Bill Hewitt. Not everyone has the respect for them that you do .

Anyhow - good luck w/ it!
I don't really know anything about him. I was just saying they're very experienced. They do repairs and salvage on Super Duties only, and mostly just diesels.

Old 10-10-2010, 06:31 AM
bismic
Fleet Owner
Originally Posted by AndeyHall
I just dropped the truck off at the shop. Anyways, I asked the guys at the shop how common PCM issues are and they say they keep PCM's in their shop cause he said they've had quite a few 6.0's come in with the PCM gone bad.
I really am not trying to argue (so please do not take it that way), but this statement bothers me. I would bet money that Cheezit (as a certified Ford Tech) is as experienced (or more) as the folks you are going to. Most likely he has the benefit of access to Ford specific training, failure rate data, and diagnostic equipment that these folks do not - since they are not Ford employed. Also, cheezit (and others here) are offering advice for free - so no bias towards making money. To me, the statement above "hints" of the shop being "parts changers", and perhaps not so much "troubleshooters".

This shop (as well as the Ford dealerships) are in business to make money. Some shops will push the limits of honesty and some will replace parts that they do not need to because they do not have the knowledge or access to the proper diagnostic equipment. This applies to independent shops as well as Ford dealerships. I am not saying this shop is not good, they may have a great success rate. However, if they are replacing a large number of PCM's, then I would wonder about ONE of the statements above.

I sincerely doubt that this shop sees so many more 6.0L diesel trucks that they would have a better feel for the failure rate of PCM's than cheezit ..... maybe, but I doubt it. I hope you do not end up w/ a big bill (especially if it is w/ parts you may not have needed). That is a big reason this forum exists - to help folks troubleshoot on their own to help keep costs down. It is a HUGE advantage to have Techs that share information with us with ZERO desire for personal gain. When he says that the troubleshooting process indicates a PCM issue, but most likely it is a vref short, I personally would believe him

I certainly may be off base w/ this shop, but most techs will tell you that the videos and information contains a few errors on the 6.0L. As a motivated businessman, I seriously doubt that he is paying for a shop full of certified techs with all of the Ford diagnostic equipment, but if he is I do not doubt you will get your problem fixed. I sincerely hope it is at a reasonable cost.

Old 10-10-2010, 08:28 AM
AndeyHall
Posting Guru
I really am not trying to argue (so please do not take it that way), but this statement bothers me. I would bet money that Cheezit (as a certified Ford Tech) is as experienced (or more) as the folks you are going to. Most likely he has the benefit of access to Ford specific training, failure rate data, and diagnostic equipment that these folks do not - since they are not Ford employed. Also, cheezit (and others here) are offering advice for free - so no bias towards making money. To me, the statement above "hints" of the shop being "parts changers", and perhaps not so much "troubleshooters".

This shop (as well as the Ford dealerships) are in business to make money. Some shops will push the limits of honesty and some will replace parts that they do not need to because they do not have the knowledge or access to the proper diagnostic equipment. This applies to independent shops as well as Ford dealerships. I am not saying this shop is not good, they may have a great success rate. However, if they are replacing a large number of PCM's, then I would wonder about ONE of the statements above.

I sincerely doubt that this shop sees so many more 6.0L diesel trucks that they would have a better feel for the failure rate of PCM's than cheezit ..... maybe, but I doubt it. I hope you do not end up w/ a big bill (especially if it is w/ parts you may not have needed). That is a big reason this forum exists - to help folks troubleshoot on their own to help keep costs down. It is a HUGE advantage to have Techs that share information with us with ZERO desire for personal gain. When he says that the troubleshooting process indicates a PCM issue, but most likely it is a vref short, I personally would believe him

I certainly may be off base w/ this shop, but most techs will tell you that Bill Hewitt's videos and information contains quite a few errors on the 6.0L. He is very highly motivated businessman and clearly a salesman also. As a motivated businessman, I seriously doubt that he is paying for a shop full of certified techs with all of the Ford diagnostic equipment, but if he is I do not doubt you will get your problem fixed. I sincerely hope it is at a reasonable cost.
Yeah I'm not trying to argue either...the guy that owns this shop is a family friend so I was just trying to defend what he told me because I know that I am at least one person that he's not trying to rip off. I don't know how all this works, but they pay Ford so much a year to have access to all of their databases and diagnostics. He said the only thing they can't do that Ford can is updating strategy. He said Ford wanted some ungodly amount for that and it want worth it when he has maybe 10 people needing an update in a year's time. But whenever our Ford dealership sent David Simpson (the only diesel tech, or tech period at our dealership worth a flip) to school for like 4 weeks for training, they sent all their PSD warranty work to this shop.

But he told me that if I need a new PCM, it will not cost me more than $400 for it and he will warranty it for 4 years. I don't know if that because it's me or if he always does the 4 year warranty, but that sounds pretty good after he told me the price for a new PCM from Ford.

Old 10-10-2010, 08:38 AM
bismic
Fleet Owner
It certainly sounds like you are being treated quite well Andey. Please keep us informed.

Old 10-12-2010, 08:40 PM
AndeyHall
Posting Guru
They dropped a new PCM in it today and all the codes went away and they drove it around for a while, then let it sit and idle for a while, then let it sit for a while off, then repeated one more time and never got anymore codes. Obviously the PCM was gone.