6.0L Power Stroke Diesel 2003 - 2007 F250, F350 pickup and F350+ Cab Chassis, 2003 - 2005 Excursion and 2003 - 2009 van

Keep Getting P0102 Code

Search this Thread

Old 10-06-2010, 04:53 PM
AndeyHall
Posting Guru
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Keep Getting P0102 Code

I've been getting a P0102 code for the past 2 weeks or so (actually it could have been longer than that, that's just when I did a diagnostic from my Insight). I asked about it on here and one guy said not to worry about it until I have erased it and it keeps coming back AND after I reset the PCM by disconnecting both batteries. I did that today and after driving to work I still got the code. Should I just replace the MAF sensor? I can't see any chafing in the wires near the senors, and everything from then on is covered in plastic and runs over to the driver side battery so there's nothing to really get hot and rub. I'm just not sure what to do from here. What all could possibly be effected or is there anything I might notice while driving to be able to tell if the MAF sensor is going bad or not working at all?

Also, can resetting the PCM give me the P0603 code?

Old 10-06-2010, 05:27 PM
brandon82
Freshman User
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
This might help in stating to diag it. hope you have a multi meter. there is more to the pin point test.let me know if that helps to get started
  • Possible causes:
    • restricted air flow
    • MAF sensor disconnected
    • VPWR circuit open to MAF
    • PWR GND circuit open to MAF
    • MAF RTN signal open
    • MAF signal shorted to ground
    • mechanical failure
    • MAF sensor
    • PCM
  • Inspect air intake for restrictions
  • Key off.
  • Disconnect the MAF sensor harness connector.
  • Key on.
  • Measure the voltage between the MAF sensor VPWR circuit pin 2, harness side and MAF PWR GND pin 3, harness side.
  • Measure the voltage between the MAF sensor VREF circuit pin 4, harness side and MAF PWR GND pin 3, harness side.
Is the voltage greater than 10.5 volts between pins 2 and 3 and is the voltage approximately 5.5 to 6.5 volts between pins 4 and 3

The following users liked this post:
Old 10-06-2010, 05:55 PM
AndeyHall
Posting Guru
Originally Posted by brandon82
This might help in stating to diag it. hope you have a multi meter. there is more to the pin point test.let me know if that helps to get started
  • Possible causes:
    • restricted air flow
    • MAF sensor disconnected
    • VPWR circuit open to MAF
    • PWR GND circuit open to MAF
    • MAF RTN signal open
    • MAF signal shorted to ground
    • mechanical failure
    • MAF sensor
    • PCM
  • Inspect air intake for restrictions
  • Key off.
  • Disconnect the MAF sensor harness connector.
  • Key on.
  • Measure the voltage between the MAF sensor VPWR circuit pin 2, harness side and MAF PWR GND pin 3, harness side.
  • Measure the voltage between the MAF sensor VREF circuit pin 4, harness side and MAF PWR GND pin 3, harness side.
Is the voltage greater than 10.5 volts between pins 2 and 3 and is the voltage approximately 5.5 to 6.5 volts between pins 4 and 3
On the pin test I'm getting over 12V between pins 2 and 3 and I'm getting 5.95V between pins 3 and 4.

Old 10-06-2010, 07:37 PM
AndeyHall
Posting Guru
I'm trying to look up the MAF sensor on Tousley Ford's website, and I'm tempted to just order one if it's as cheap as it looks. I'm just confused about something...I can't figure out how to get it through all the subcategories, so I did a keyword search for "MAF", and what comes up is "MAF sensor extension"...is the extension just referring to the part that goes down into the intake tube? Also, for the 6.0 it has listed a left and a right...what is this?

Old 10-06-2010, 07:46 PM
brandon82
Freshman User
i dont know what they are taking about with the left and right but the next step is to.... key off, disconnect the pcm body harness electrical connector then Measure the resistance between MAF sensor harness connector signal circuit pin 5 and ground.
Is the resistance greater than 10,000 ohms?

Old 10-06-2010, 07:54 PM
AndeyHall
Posting Guru
i dont know what they are taking about with the left and right but the next step is to.... key off, disconnect the pcm body harness electrical connector then Measure the resistance between MAF sensor harness connector signal circuit pin 5 and ground.
Is the resistance greater than 10,000 ohms?
Ok, where is the PCM body harness electrical connector?

Old 10-06-2010, 08:50 PM
brandon82
Freshman User
the pcm is located on the left hand side of the engine compartment and i believe that if youre sitting in the drivers seat the connector is the closest one to the driver. from the picture i have i cant tell if the pcm is on the firewall or the fender

Old 10-06-2010, 09:18 PM
AndeyHall
Posting Guru
the pcm is located on the left hand side of the engine compartment and i believe that if youre sitting in the drivers seat the connector is the closest one to the driver. from the picture i have i cant tell if the pcm is on the firewall or the fender
Oh ok. I think it's the 3 harnesses next to the driver side battery, and I guess from what you describe it's one closest to the cab.

Old 10-07-2010, 06:21 PM
brandon82
Freshman User
i believe so, the picture i have isnt that good so its hard to tell

Old 10-11-2010, 05:14 PM
brandon82
Freshman User
did this help at all?

Old 10-11-2010, 05:29 PM
AndeyHall
Posting Guru
did this help at all?
Oh sorry I never got back to you man. The night before I was going to do this test, I was coming home from a friend's apartment at like 1:30 in the morning and my truck started bucking all over the place. I got within just a few miles of my house and it just shuts off...ironically right in front of a Ford dealership so I was able to just coast in and leave it for the night. I've got it at another shop right now and they're checking things out but they're thinking it might be the PCM. They were going to drop a good PCM in it and test it out to see if it got rid of any of the codes it was throwing and then work back from there. Here's a link to the thread with all the details:
https://www.ford-trucks.com/forums/9...0102-code.html

I think resetting my PCM had something to do with it. But anyways...do you know anything about strategies? Are vehicle strategies unique or can 2 trucks have the exact same strategy?

Old 10-11-2010, 08:07 PM
brandon82
Freshman User
i dont know much about the strategies but a pcm programed to your vin should work just fine as long as the pcm is the same year and all that. the pcm has KAM and ROM will should all be the same but adaptive memory is different in every vehicle. there is a test to test the maf and compare it to MAF PID on a scan tool depending on the results it will be a bad MAF or a bad PCM

Old 10-11-2010, 08:28 PM
AndeyHall
Posting Guru
i dont know much about the strategies but a pcm programed to your vin should work just fine as long as the pcm is the same year and all that. the pcm has KAM and ROM will should all be the same but adaptive memory is different in every vehicle. there is a test to test the maf and compare it to MAF PID on a scan tool depending on the results it will be a bad MAF or a bad PCM
Well actually I wasn't worried about the strategy with regard to the PCM, I was actually just curious if I and a friend had our strategies updated to the latest 6.0 strategy, and I had my tunes rewritten for my truck if they world work on my friend's truck also. But as far as tests go, I've pretty much given that up for the shop to figure out for now.

Old 10-12-2010, 02:08 PM
brandon82
Freshman User
so you both are going to get an update for the pcm. and you want to know if the update is going to work with the tuner if im understanding correctly? if so, i have no experience with that so i wouldnt be the guy to ask about that one

Old 10-12-2010, 08:28 PM
AndeyHall
Posting Guru
Just heard from the guys at the shop today...my PCM was shot, so that's why I was getting that code. My MAF sensor was fine.
so you both are going to get an update for the pcm. and you want to know if the update is going to work with the tuner if im understanding correctly? if so, i have no experience with that so i wouldnt be the guy to ask about that one
No I know I'll have to have my tunes rewritten for a new strategy, so whether the tuner will work or not isn't the question. But you always hear about one tuner not being able to tune more than one truck because of the strategies...so I'm basically wondering if we were to both update our strategies, could we both run the same tunes. Or is a strategy like a SSN, the first few numbers may be the same but the last few is where the difference is?

Quick Reply: Keep Getting P0102 Code