Sponsored by: DP Tuner

stock injectors=how many miles

Search this Thread

Old 10-04-2010, 03:33 PM
01 super
Freshman User
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
stock injectors=how many miles

Folks, how many miles can a guy expect to get out of a set of stock injectors. I'm pushing 200K and it may just be my imagination, but it seems performance isnt what it used to be. All else seems to be in check and normal. Boost maxed at 23lbs, temps stay under 1200 etc. Input is welcome here as this truck HAS to be reliable in the Alaska winters.

On a side note last winter I pulled the turbo to change out o rings and swapped in a WWheel at the same time. At the time I noticed the turbo shaft end play was getting really close to the housing and figured this winter I would pull it down and get that taken care of. Can anyone head me into the right direction for a replacement? I only pull a 24ft camper or 18 ft trailer full of quads so I dont pull a lot of weight. Any suggestions?
Thanks for the inputs.
<input id="gwProxy" type="hidden"><!--Session data--><input onclick="jsCall();" id="jsProxy" type="hidden">

Old 10-04-2010, 03:58 PM
Shake-N-Bake
Post Fiend

Received 19 Likes on 17 Posts
My injectors lasted until 233k miles or so before I began having problems. When I sent them to Jim at Rosewood Diesel and he flow tested them prior to rebuilding and said some of them were only flowing 80cc (140cc normal spec). I think Jim said that 200k miles is about the normal life span of these injectors based on what he has seen so far. However I could have mis-quoted him so give him a call yourself. He is a sponsor here so just find his link and give him a call for his opinion.

That being said, there are quite a few guys and gals here who have gone way past 200k on their stock injectors so some trucks have better luck than others. My trailer is pretty heavy so I probably work my injectors pretty hard when I take it out.

We have several stock 7.3 trucks here at work. None of those truck made it past 170k before they needed new injectors. Those trucks do a lot of idling with the PTO engaged so that must cut down on the service life of sticks as well.

Hope this info helps.

Old 10-04-2010, 04:10 PM
Franko72
Molon Labe
Neighbor e99 300k stock injectors

Boss 2001 64k 8 new injectors (needed injector cups, changed all 8 injectors)

my e99 F250 231k changed 1 at 230k

my e99 F350 240k, so far so good.

shop truck 1996 308k stock injectors.

Old 10-04-2010, 11:35 PM
01 super
Freshman User
So what I'm gathering is stock injectors really don't have a set service life cause ya'alls milage is all over the place. So I guess now my question is... How does a guy figure out if he needs new injectors? I'm thinking about pulling them, sending them Rosewood for evaluation and then go from there? A lot of work for what could possibly be my paranoia setting in again. Any inputs on what my next course of action should be?

Old 10-04-2010, 11:54 PM
Shake-N-Bake
Post Fiend

Received 19 Likes on 17 Posts
You might consider placing an order with Clay at Riffraff for an AE and turbo rebuild kit. I wouldn't start yanking the injectors just yet. Sounds like your engine is running well still. Even with 'low flowing' injectors, my truck still started fine, pulled well enough and ran smoothly. I was down on power some but it was so gradual that I didn't really notice it. Eventually one of my injectors failed, but it if wasn't for that...I'd still probably be driving around on the original units.

If you still have the factory glow plugs, then you might consider changing those out and then of course make sure your UVCH is secured.

When/If you start to have troubles, the AE will help you narrow in on the issue instead of just throwing parts at the symptom and hope it solves the problem.

Old 10-05-2010, 01:03 PM
aklim
Lead Driver

Received 242 Likes on 187 Posts
Originally Posted by 01 super
So what I'm gathering is stock injectors really don't have a set service life cause ya'alls milage is all over the place. So I guess now my question is... How does a guy figure out if he needs new injectors? I'm thinking about pulling them, sending them Rosewood for evaluation and then go from there? A lot of work for what could possibly be my paranoia setting in again. Any inputs on what my next course of action should be?
I would take them out at say 150K for testing. That will tell you what is going on.

Old 10-05-2010, 01:13 PM
riverrat41
Postmaster

250k on stock sticks here.May peter out tomorrow but I will ride them until they tell me they want out...Then I will call Clay.....New sticks please

Old 10-05-2010, 02:14 PM
Riffraff Diesel
PREMIUM SPONSOR
Received 46 Likes on 26 Posts
Originally Posted by 01 super
Folks, how many miles can a guy expect to get out of a set of stock injectors. I'm pushing 200K and it may just be my imagination, but it seems performance isnt what it used to be. All else seems to be in check and normal. Boost maxed at 23lbs, temps stay under 1200 etc. Input is welcome here as this truck HAS to be reliable in the Alaska winters.

On a side note last winter I pulled the turbo to change out o rings and swapped in a WWheel at the same time. At the time I noticed the turbo shaft end play was getting really close to the housing and figured this winter I would pull it down and get that taken care of. Can anyone head me into the right direction for a replacement? I only pull a 24ft camper or 18 ft trailer full of quads so I dont pull a lot of weight. Any suggestions?
Thanks for the inputs.
<input id="gwProxy" type="hidden"><!--Session data--><input onclick="jsCall();" id="jsProxy" type="hidden">
If you are worried about reliability then swap them out, but if you can handling using them till you have an issue it will save you money for now. You can rebuild your turbo as long is it hasn't started chewing up the wheels, here is a link for you.

Riffraff Diesel: Garrett GTP38 Journal Bearing Rebuild Kit

Old 10-05-2010, 03:21 PM
camodown
Posting Guru
Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
I have 263,xxx miles on my injectors which are original. If you get injectors and want to stay stock, I would actually recommend Alliant power NEW injectors. Remans although they can be good are still remans. I think you can also get built injectors that use NEW alliant power injectors as a base.

Old 10-05-2010, 03:40 PM
aklim
Lead Driver

Received 242 Likes on 187 Posts
Originally Posted by Riffraff Performance
If you are worried about reliability then swap them out, but if you can handling using them till you have an issue it will save you money for now.
Why would you want to wait till you have an issue? By the time it has an issue, you would have wasted more money. After all, with my other cars, when the injectors have a certain wear on them, I have them checked and rebuilt as necessary. I have picked up mpg from that. If the mpg falls SLOWLY, you can't really know for sure via the SOTP dyno. I prefer to rebuild them after say X miles. On my 99 E300 Turbodiesel, I figured the interval is about 100K before they start to have clogs. On the PSD, I took them out at 100K and it seems ok so I think 150 would be a fair time to rebuild.

Old 10-05-2010, 04:24 PM
Riffraff Diesel
PREMIUM SPONSOR
Originally Posted by aklim
Why would you want to wait till you have an issue? By the time it has an issue, you would have wasted more money. After all, with my other cars, when the injectors have a certain wear on them, I have them checked and rebuilt as necessary. I have picked up mpg from that. If the mpg falls SLOWLY, you can't really know for sure via the SOTP dyno. I prefer to rebuild them after say X miles. On my 99 E300 Turbodiesel, I figured the interval is about 100K before they start to have clogs. On the PSD, I took them out at 100K and it seems ok so I think 150 would be a fair time to rebuild.
Well it all depends on disposable income and how you use your truck. If you depend on it every single day and can't have it down then I would do it preventatively, but if you are short on money and can take the risk then you could see alot more mileage out of them. This is something the customer has to decide and I don't like telling them what is best for their situation. Too many places try and scare people into thinking they have to replace them or else they will be stranded somewhere.

If money is no option then I would go for brand new set of 'AD' or 'AC' Alliant injectors and be done with it.

Riffraff Diesel: New Alliant Stock Injectors

Old 10-05-2010, 04:47 PM
SkySkiJason
Hotshot
Received 1,897 Likes on 1,145 Posts
Originally Posted by aklim
Why would you want to wait till you have an issue?
Well, it depends on how you use your truck. Mine had 240k miles and I was about to go on (another) 6000 mile road trip. (8) injectors cost less than paying some potential jackass to replace a couple failed sticks on the road somewhere. But, if I had a 'normal' commute to and from work down the street from home every day - I'd run them until there was a problem!!! At 240k, mine were fine (and I ran WVO for 50k of that).

Currently my X has 230k, no signs of injector problems, but GP's are dropping like flies... I will likely use GP's as an excuse to 'upgrade' injectors - since 'I'm in there'. (Casserly Stage III's for $1850 ROCKS!! )

The highest mileage I know of personally is 380k on stockers. He just had #1 take a dump the other day and I tried to convince him to do all 8 - but he's BROKE for a couple more months, so he'll R&R #1 and rock on.

How will you know if injector is 'going bad'? SMOKE. 'Normal' wear will be slow - I'd imagine you would slowly begin to see more smoke and longer at start-up as well as smoke from extended idling. Power may begin to fall off, but I suspect you'd have hard starts first. Now, run a tankful of WATER or gasoline thru them and all bets are OFF. A more precise 'measurement' could be Rotational velocity values creeping up or ICP pressure falling. I'm curious what others say about 'when' you can tell injectors are dying!

FWIW, the last set I took out had 70k miles on them (on veggie oil) and the truck ran PERFECT - until the hole formed in the crack in the piston...... But, when Swamps tore them down - they said they were TRASHED/FUBAR/not rebuildable. This was due to running WVO that had a caustic cleaner in it - a very specific kind of damage. I honestly did not want to believe them, because the truck ran so good!!!!!!

Old 10-05-2010, 04:50 PM
SkySkiJason
Hotshot
Received 1,897 Likes on 1,145 Posts
Oh yeah, as for SOTP's power being down. I would suspect things like leaky up-pipes and leaky CAC boots, etc loooooong before injectors. Not sure when the end-play in turbo starts creating drag or losing boost - but it seems like even a little of either would drop max power, but not necessarily max boost psi... (slower spooling)

What is your fuel pressure at WOT? How about ICP??

My friend cpuneck cleaned all of his under hood electrical connectors with some fancy contact cleaner and SWEARS his truck starts easier and has mo power...

Old 10-05-2010, 05:20 PM
Franko72
Molon Labe
Originally Posted by Riffraff Performance
Well it all depends on disposable income and how you use your truck. If you depend on it every single day and can't have it down then I would do it preventatively, but if you are short on money and can take the risk then you could see alot more mileage out of them. This is something the customer has to decide and I don't like telling them what is best for their situation. Too many places try and scare people into thinking they have to replace them or else they will be stranded somewhere.

If money is no option then I would go for brand new set of 'AD' or 'AC' Alliant injectors and be done with it.

Riffraff Diesel: New Alliant Stock Injectors
Thats a great price Clay, what do you recomend for an e99, stick with the AB's, or would a set of AD's be better for a stock engine config?

Old 10-05-2010, 06:23 PM
Riffraff Diesel
PREMIUM SPONSOR
Originally Posted by Franko72
Thats a great price Clay, what do you recomend for an e99, stick with the AB's, or would a set of AD's be better for a stock engine config?
I would go with AD's if you are replacing them. Same price and a little more fuel

Quick Reply: stock injectors=how many miles