Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: DP Tuner

stock injectors=how many miles

Search this Thread

Old 10-05-2010, 06:26 PM
Franko72
Molon Labe
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Thank you Clay, I'll add that to my never ending list.

Old 10-05-2010, 10:47 PM
Visseroth
Posting Guru
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
yea, no kidding, I just did too!! TY!

Old 10-06-2010, 10:40 PM
01 super
Freshman User
Good stuff guys, thanks for the inputs. Now I must show my ignorance... What exactly is the AE? Is it a stand alone OBD II reader on steroids or???? And does it come with instructions so I would know what I'm looking for and how to interpret what it is tell me? I just can't be changing parts cause the computer tells me to, I've got to know why, ya know?
I'm thinking I'll be ordering up a turbo rebuild kit and going from there. I had the turbo off last winter and installed the WW but don't recall seeing how the guts would be pulled out for a re-build, anyone have some pics? Instructions? Tips?

After that, my next plan is to pull the valve covers and check the torque on injectors etc since thats NEVER been done on this truck. From there I'll decide on injectors.

Of course all this may get put on hold if I get deployed this go around, as I'm on the short list for the sand box. Should find out soon...
Thanks for every ones input

Old 10-06-2010, 10:56 PM
Riffraff Diesel
PREMIUM SPONSOR
Received 46 Likes on 26 Posts
Originally Posted by 01 super
Good stuff guys, thanks for the inputs. Now I must show my ignorance... What exactly is the AE? Is it a stand alone OBD II reader on steroids or???? And does it come with instructions so I would know what I'm looking for and how to interpret what it is tell me? I just can't be changing parts cause the computer tells me to, I've got to know why, ya know?
I'm thinking I'll be ordering up a turbo rebuild kit and going from there. I had the turbo off last winter and installed the WW but don't recall seeing how the guts would be pulled out for a re-build, anyone have some pics? Instructions? Tips?

After that, my next plan is to pull the valve covers and check the torque on injectors etc since thats NEVER been done on this truck. From there I'll decide on injectors.

Of course all this may get put on hold if I get deployed this go around, as I'm on the short list for the sand box. Should find out soon...
Thanks for every ones input
AE= AutoEnginuity and it is basically hardware/software and all you need is a laptop. It comes with instructions but they aren't vehicle specific, rather instruct on the software use in general. This forum is one of the best places to learn how to use it. I have included some links for you on what you have asked about above.

Riffraff Diesel: AutoEnginuity

Roadside Help Network - Guides, Maintenance & Mods

Riffraff Diesel: Garrett GTP38 Journal Bearing Rebuild Kit

Welcome to BDrummonds Van Turbo Rebuild Web Page

Name:  TqPics.GIF
Views: 947
Size:  42.5 KB

Old 10-06-2010, 11:10 PM
aklim
Lead Driver

Received 242 Likes on 187 Posts
How do you balance the assembly if you pull it off in your driveway?

Old 10-06-2010, 11:39 PM
Riffraff Diesel
PREMIUM SPONSOR
If it is balanced before you take it apart to rebuild it will still be balanced when you reassemble it.

Old 10-06-2010, 11:43 PM
aklim
Lead Driver

Originally Posted by Riffraff Performance
If it is balanced before you take it apart to rebuild it will still be balanced when you reassemble it.
Isn't the compressor wheel bolted on or is it only one way with some sort of woodruff key? So how do people do it if they replace the wheel with a WW?

Old 10-06-2010, 11:58 PM
Riffraff Diesel
PREMIUM SPONSOR
Originally Posted by aklim
Isn't the compressor wheel bolted on or is it only one way with some sort of woodruff key? So how do people do it if they replace the wheel with a WW?
The compressor wheel is tapped so that it threads onto the threaded shaft. IMO since the exhaust wheel and shaft are balanced and the compressor wheel is as well when you assemble it will still be balanced.

Old 10-07-2010, 12:30 AM
01 super
Freshman User
Thanks Riffraff, looks like I've got some educating to do! I'll be in touch. After last years wrestling match with getting the babies butt clamped up to the turbo I REALLY am not looking forward to taking this back apart! And tips???
OH well, better me than the stealership!

Old 10-07-2010, 08:41 AM
UNTAMND
Logistics Pro
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Didnt RiffRaff have a sale on stage3s. I was very interested in them about a week ago. I thought they were around the 18-1900 mark, and stock ones are 16-1700....
If you have a tuner/chip of some sort, id look into those as well.

Old 10-07-2010, 04:05 PM
Visseroth
Posting Guru
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
What would you guys recommend for a stock motor that wants more power?

Old 10-07-2010, 04:16 PM
aklim
Lead Driver

Originally Posted by Visseroth
What would you guys recommend for a stock motor that wants more power?
Check with your tuner about the 140 mod. Get a tuner. Or if you want to try, get say DP-Tuner to flash your PCM. $75. If you don't like it, send the PCM back. If you like it, keep it and send him back your old one. That is what I did. I liked it after months to get the F5. Then I got the F6 which is way nicer. No R&R. Laptop and a USB cable and you can flash the chip for a "Try before you buy".

Old 10-07-2010, 05:53 PM
UNTAMND
Logistics Pro
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
visseroth
you have the mods nessisary to be able to safely add a nice chip.
I have the F6 and it rocks. Well worth the extra money to be able to try a tune, or just have an updated tune sent to you. No downtime waiting for your f5 to come back, or no waiting for your ecu to be shipped both ways and you cant even use your truck. (ive promoted the 75 dollar reflash a number of times if you just want a little better oomph and a lot better throttle responce) Call Jody and after you talk with him you will realize your missing out on something special, LOL.
I HATED my psd when I first got it, and I wanted my bb 460 back. After the 80e I was all grins. Well worth the money.

Old 10-08-2010, 02:30 AM
01 super
Freshman User
Stage 3s may be a bit more than I need, but it does bring up a question. If I went with anything other than stock injectors would I have to send my DP tuner back for a re-program?
And if I went with different injectors would I then be forced into looking into a turbo upgrade? How far can a stock turbo take you?
<input id="gwProxy" type="hidden"><!--Session data--><input onclick="jsCall();" id="jsProxy" type="hidden">

Old 10-08-2010, 10:04 AM
Riffraff Diesel
PREMIUM SPONSOR
Originally Posted by 01 super
Stage 3s may be a bit more than I need, but it does bring up a question. If I went with anything other than stock injectors would I have to send my DP tuner back for a re-program?
And if I went with different injectors would I then be forced into looking into a turbo upgrade? How far can a stock turbo take you?
Yes, if you switch to single shot injectors you would have to have reburn your chip. But we do have package deals on doing that with injectors. Depending on what injectors and how long you want your turbo to last you would need to look into larger options. Your stock turbo gets pushed pretty hard on a set of stage 1's, but then again it is dependant on how you drive. If you have more questions feel free to give me a call.

Quick Reply: stock injectors=how many miles