6.7L Power Stroke Diesel 2011-current Ford Powerstroke 6.7 L turbo diesel engine

Dipstick Dilemma

Search this Thread

Old 10-03-2010, 01:15 PM
Nipperdog
Elder User
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Dipstick Dilemma

I hate to complain about this wonderful truck,but one thing is really pi$$ing me off. Why did Ford locate the 6.7 dipsticks for the oil and tranny out of reach. Everytime that I want to check the oil level I need to get a stepladder to reach the stick. This was never a problem on my 6.4. I have never owned any truck where you needed a step ladder to check the oil when standing on the ground.

Old 10-03-2010, 01:24 PM
kper05
Lead Driver

Received 75 Likes on 60 Posts
lol - that's why they put the fancy plastic piece on the top of the front bumper; to stand on. Yea, I'm short so I have to use the bumper.
I put one foot sideways on the bumper and another on the heavy duty (looking) metal frame behind the grill.
I'm sure I look stupid.

The o-ring on the dipstick has been sealing so well recently, I nearly fall off the truck because I have to pull so hard to remove it from the tube.

Old 10-03-2010, 01:43 PM
Tacswa3
Senior User
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Don't feel bad complaining. The members on this board are really the only ones we all can complain/discuss this truck to right now. Being so new some dealers don't know a lot about it. I have complaints about mine....the transmission is a noisy clunky thing. On cold starts when I go from park to drive the transmission clunks and everybody looks. Embarrassing for a $60,000 truck.

Old 10-03-2010, 01:59 PM
TrainNut
Junior User
Originally Posted by Tacswa3
On cold starts when I go from park to drive the transmission clunks and everybody looks.
Living in Phoenix, it's likely I'll never experience that! Believe me, I'm not gloating... I'd much rather live someplace cooler.

Old 10-03-2010, 03:22 PM
Tacswa3
Senior User
Originally Posted by TrainNut
Living in Phoenix, it's likely I'll never experience that! Believe me, I'm not gloating... I'd much rather live someplace cooler.
I meant cold starts to where the fluid isn't warm. Its not cold here yet.

Old 10-03-2010, 05:23 PM
mikebob
Junior User
I agree it is a pain. Just did my second oil change and I have to get up on my toes. And oh ya...I'm just over 6'-5".

Old 10-04-2010, 01:06 AM
PHXDiesel
Senior User
Originally Posted by Tacswa3
I meant cold starts to where the fluid isn't warm. Its not cold here yet.
Mine doesn't make any noise going into drive, but sometimes going into park it will... almost like the gears are bound up and when it flips into park everything springs loose. I've heard this on other vehicles though so it hasn't concerned me much. I do get a rather different shifting experience for the first few minutes of driving though. Seems to really bang into some gears... but doesn't happen all the time. It just doesn't seem like it knows exactly what to do based on throttle position. If you let off the throttle, even slightly, just before it's about to shift it will really slam the gear pretty hard. My 08 didn't do this _at all_, not even close.

I've wondered if the dealership only updated my PCM and not the TCM when I got the flash. I'm not sure how I'd figure that out.

Old 10-04-2010, 02:13 PM
jermort
Senior User
I am more concerned with the flimsy, floppy, impossible to stuff back into the hole dip stick. For all the great engineering on this motor, the dipstick is a pos! IMHO

jammer

Old 10-04-2010, 05:48 PM
EpicCowlick
Post Fiend
Received 26 Likes on 24 Posts
I complained about the twisted metal band dipstick and Ford sent me a cable-type replacement. Nice of them to do that but it doesn't help the fact that it is difficult to get to. Also, notice the turns that the dipstick has to make to get all the way down. It has a sharp turn very close to the top and another one down lower. With this routing, it just take a bit of care to insert it fully. By the way, I stand on a bucket to get to the various level-checkers. Wouldn't want to scratch the handy step on the front bumper... lol.

Old 10-04-2010, 06:18 PM
roadkingfl
Elder User

Originally Posted by EpicCowlick
I complained about the twisted metal band dipstick and Ford sent me a cable-type replacement. Nice of them to do that but it doesn't help the fact that it is difficult to get to. Also, notice the turns that the dipstick has to make to get all the way down. It has a sharp turn very close to the top and another one down lower. With this routing, it just take a bit of care to insert it fully. By the way, I stand on a bucket to get to the various level-checkers. Wouldn't want to scratch the handy step on the front bumper... lol.
Ford should put a pull out step, like one in the tail gate....and yes the dipstick sucks.