6.7L Power Stroke Diesel 2011-current Ford Powerstroke 6.7 L turbo diesel engine

turbo lag???

Search this Thread

Old 10-08-2010, 08:26 AM
Von-Overkill
Senior User
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Doesn't matter too much if it's turbo lag or emissions related lag, or whatever kind of lag ...
Not all of us can anticipate need 3 seconds into the future. I personally don't want to wait 3 seconds for a response, nor do I feel like working around that. I see no reason to not have a linear and proportional connection between acceleration and throttle.
It sure sounds to me like once all the emissions nonsense has been removed, and the computer has been retuned, there is potential to have the traditional link between throttle and throttle response restored!

Old 10-08-2010, 12:06 PM
FORDTUF1
Elder User
If your truck takes 3 seconds then take it back. I've seen someone said 1 1/2 seconds, I would say that's the max that mine is, and maybe just a second flat. If I roll into it, by roll I roll hard into it and still spin the tires, there is no lag.

I don't like it either, I'm coming out of a tuned V10 that would pin you to the seat instantly. I wonder if anyone has driven the Dmax with the DEF exhaust stuff on it? I tried when I was lookng at this truck, I was going to have to drive about 3 to 3 1/2 hours away just to test one.

I will be changing mine too in about 2 years, I want to make sure I don't need the warranty before I go tuning on it.

Old 10-08-2010, 12:09 PM
RickSo
Junior User
Originally Posted by adamtheman16
Like I stated earlier, I don't think its turbo lag. I think it's fuel limiting. The variable turbos do not have that amount of lag, given the proper amount of fuel introduced. Especially this new-fangled twin compressor concept. Why would they step backwards? Of course they have gone backwards somewhere, but I don't think it was the turbo department. I think it is the emissions department.

The exhaust part of the turbo looks exactly like the 6.0 turbo and operates the same way. I think it is a ball bearing turbo instead to increase angular velocity of both the compressor wheels and handle the extra weight of the second wheel on the turbine shaft.

Of course, without boost there is no fuel, but it has to start somewhere and fuel is how it is started.
Well, I have to agree with you that probably with some bottom end fueling this truck will probably come around. I just don't think Ford is going to be the one to provide the solution. I really didn't want to go to the aftermarket for a programmer. We'll see what Ford says first.

Rick

Old 10-08-2010, 12:23 PM
vloney
Postmaster

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Your answer is in the pictures of everyones rides and/or their signatures. How many "lag" complaints come from F450's and how many come from F250's? DIFFERENT CALIBRATIONS!

Old 10-08-2010, 12:39 PM
RickSo
Junior User
Originally Posted by vloney
Your answer is in the pictures of everyones rides and/or their signatures. How many "lag" complaints come from F450's and how many come from F250's? DIFFERENT CALIBRATIONS!
Well, they sure missed the calibration on my F-350 DRW truck. Maybe the lag would have been less with the F-450 with the 4:30-1 rear end gears? Anything to get more power to the ground from a standing start would help. O' well I'll just keep looking at the traffic lights to to the right or left of me and step on the fuel petal when the light turns yellow by that time I shouldn't be holding up traffic. I have no issues with this truck once its rolling just getting this thing going and the erratic non=boost to boost condition makes this truck not very much fun to drive and even worse with a 14,000 lb trailer attached.

Rick
2011 F-350 DRW

Old 10-08-2010, 05:15 PM
RickSo
Junior User
Well, just got off the phone with my local Ford dealer. Apparently they have had many complaints with the turbo lag after the new flash to the trucks now coming with the 400/800 program. The service manager has a truck with Ford diagnostics equipment hooked up and is providing info to the engineers at Ford for this exact turbo lag problem. So, it will probably involve another programming when they get it figured out......glad to see it is being worked on.

Rick

Old 10-08-2010, 07:41 PM
summet20
Senior User
checked my truck the other day and it seems to only be a slight lag and nothing else.

Old 10-31-2010, 05:32 PM
PalouseSD
New User
I was playing with my F-350 a bit today and found that a lot of the initial lag is the transmission shifting down. I have a 3.31 rear end and the 33.2" tires. I found that my truck goes into 6th gear above about 45 under gentle acceleration. Running at 50mph and then adding moderate to full throttle results in a delay while the transmission shifts down from 6th to 4th and then wham, you get the hard acceleration. I think that with all the torque this engine produces, ford is trying to be extra gentle with the transmission while shifting. There is no doubt there is a lag, but I don't see it coming from the turbo. Once in forth gear, I see the boost guage hit 20+ as soon as the tach needle starts to moving. I think it has more to do with de-tuning around shift points combined with the fueling/emissions issue discussed earlier.

BTW, did you know that the info center will display the gear the transmission is currently running? Everybody knows about the gear lock out feature using the minus shift button while running the transmission in drive. Normally you put the trans in "D" and you have no idea what gear the trans is actually running. What I found is that if you hit minus once, locking out 6th, and then hit plus once, removing 6th lockout, THEN the gear indicator on the right side of the info center display remains and always displays the current gear. If you hit plus once more the gear indicator is removed from the info center display.

Old 10-31-2010, 05:48 PM
djjoshuad
Posting Guru
I see so many people using the term "turbo lag" then describe something that is nowhere close to actual turbo lag. Might as well call it "mashed potato lag" because that is equally as accurate. Just because the truck has a turbo, and you experience some lag... *sigh*

also, 3 seconds is WAY longer than most people realize. if you really experience 3 full seconds of lag, you need to take it to a dealer. Something is badly broken.

Old 10-31-2010, 05:52 PM
FORDTUF1
Elder User
Yep, what he said.

Also the gear display has been discussed a lot. It also stays on now instead of reselecting it every key off condition.

Old 11-01-2010, 12:08 AM
PHXDiesel
Senior User
Several of you have hit the nail on the head. The lag is entirely intentional. It is meant to keep soot creation at a minimum. Ever floor a straight piped diesel? Soot city until the boost(air) catches up(6.4l's in stock form smoke like you wouldn't believe without the DPF). If this lag wasn't there, you'd see regens FAR more often.

I had a pre-orderd '08 and I can tell you with absolute certainty that the off idle power is FAR better on the 2011. It may not have FULL power off idle, but it has a TON more power than the 6.4l does. This is assuming you don't floor it. If you go WOT off idle, there will still be a seemingly extended delay.

I don't regularly floor it on the highway but I don't remember any abnormal feeling delays. I'll play around with it in the morning.

Old 12-11-2014, 10:25 PM
n5ifi
New User
I was reading the issue the OP was having and I'm seeing something similar to what he was seeing on my brand new 2015 F250 4 wheel drive truck. 2k on the clock
It doesn't do it at all in normal driving but (for instance) the local hot rod pulls up beside me and wants to get it on, If I push the peddle anywhere near the floor the truck just does nothing for about 2 seconds and then comes on like a bat out of hell. It will do the same thing pulling out into traffic and getting onto an on ramp. It's actually kind of dangerous. I have driven diesels for many years and I currently still own a 99 F350 Power stroke that does not do anything like this. I can't tell if it's turbo lag or just what it is but I don't think it's lag because it just doesn't do much of anything for a couple seconds.

Old 12-11-2014, 11:53 PM
Von-Overkill
Senior User
Since I've passed 100K miles on this truck (no more warranty), I've made a few pleasant upgrades. I've deleted the DPF, turned off EGR via programmer, ditched the Cat, straight-piped the exhaust with an MBRP dual 4-inch exhaust, and added an SCT programmer with race tunes and stacked that with a Torq 2.2 fueling module. The truck is still a slow pig, but is MUCH faster than it was, and the lag is now down to about 1.5-2 seconds. The dealer says the lag is normal and quite deliberate, but is compounded here by my altitude.
I then added some 35" tires, and that's slowed me down again quite a bit, and returned some of the lag, plus dropped me by 3.5 miles per gallon. But at least I can now get up people's driveways with these tires. The factory tires forced me to park at the bottom of driveways, then walk up...which can be thousands of feet uphill in snow.

Next on my list is a WickedWheel2 turbo upgrade, and a fatter, straighter downpipe. Perhaps eventually I can get the lag down to a second or second and a half, which is still mega-annoying, but half of what it was stock.
A friend has added an Industrial Injection twin turbo to his F350, and that has gotten his lag down to about half a second. But that is too pricey for me, and needs major engine upgrades to last. Since my friend has deep pockets, throwing an occasional rod or blowing head gaskets is a mere regular inconvenience.

Eventually, I'm going to go back to gasoline with my next vehicle, since the lag is just too annoying. Our diesel fuel here is still $1.50 more per gallon than regular unleaded (85 octane stuff), and I'm tired of paying more per gallon to get less satisfaction. Diesel used to always cost less than gasoline. I'm not sure what happened?

And unrelatedly, I just wiped out a herd of deer the other night, so I may get to trade her in sooner than later. Surprisingly, my 10,000+ pound truck fared remarkably well, merely denting the front bumper. All the deer got turned into dog food, yet I barely felt the impacts. This was my first ever deer incident in 1.5 million miles of driving. Had I been driving a car, I'm sure the deer would have been sent over the top, instead of simply turning into hamburger under my wheels. Definitely upgrading the front bumper if I decide to keep it. Oncoming traffic spooked them right into my path!

Old 12-12-2014, 06:31 AM
ct diesel
Posting Guru
Received 2 Likes on 1 Post
2011 F250 6.7 SRW 255 gears. When I first got the truck there was lag that was very noticeable. I took it back to the dealer and they rebooted some thing and it helped. I don't get the lag as often. It still happens but not as frequent and with no regularity. So I can't put a cause why.

I had a 02 F350 7.3 with heavy lag. Added a racing shift kit and a bully dog chip. That was the end of lag on that truck. This truck makes the 02 feel like a stump puller. There is a lot more power under the hood. I do notice that I don't use as much petal as I use to, (heavy foot syndrome) and the truck gets out of it own way.

Old 12-12-2014, 09:30 AM
my_crib_too
Cargo Master
Received 1,183 Likes on 364 Posts
I have experienced no lag or delay in moving in either my 2011 or 2015 6.7s. Leaving work, I have to pull onto a busy road. Occasionally I have to get on it a little. If I get on it too much, truck does not move at all, rear tires are spinning. Managing the 440hp is a fun problem to have.

Quick Reply: turbo lag???