Notices
1987 - 1996 F150 & Larger F-Series Trucks 1987 - 1996 Ford F-150, F-250, F-350 and larger pickups - including the 1997 heavy-duty F250/F350+ trucks
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

460 Complete Overhall with pics *Finshed Update !! 1-4-2011 Last Page!

Search this Thread

Old 11-09-2010, 06:03 PM
nobearsyet
Tuned
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
subscribed, going to be a very similiar thread about my 97 F-250 in the not so distant future

Old 11-10-2010, 04:08 AM
Diesel_Brad
Fleet Owner
Received 60 Likes on 49 Posts
Originally Posted by Mudsport96
No problem. They look like they seal and work fine for about 4 miles. But once the 40032s got warm and the oils up to temp they all pissed like a cow on a flat rock.
Wish i Knew thay 6 years ago when i did mine. Mine leaked from then till about a month ago when i did it again

Old 11-10-2010, 02:37 PM
Big-old-460
Senior User
OK so Today I installed my New Moly Rings, Oil control rings etc, there .40 Over pistons, and rods .
We just Put one piston in today After checking Clearances with Feeler gauges and Pasta-gauge .0015 Clearance Nice Fit,
Now you only need to Check One Rod with the .20 bearings in, Because usually the machine , is automatic and Preset when grinding the crank, If one rod clears they will always clear 99.9 % of the time. Once the piston was in and Torque to 61 Nm . we Spun the Crank to check tightness and if everything can still turn with a finger ! and it passed, tomorrow i will have more pics !

TIP FOR YOU ALL ... coffer filters are you friend! Lint free, and cheap, and when you clean u can get a new one every time!.No need to wash.

More tomorrow. ttul

Old 11-10-2010, 07:25 PM
Mudsport96
Cargo Master
Received 374 Likes on 287 Posts
Not to be a pain. But you should always plasti gauge every rod and main. The journals may be identical but the bearing thicknesses can vary. As long as you spin the crank evey time you install a rod and piston assembly and it turns easy you should be fine. You can't always give the bearing company's quality control the benefit of the doubt

Old 11-10-2010, 07:31 PM
nobearsyet
Tuned
I agree with mudsport, I used to work for an engine builder when I lived in Ohio, bearings do vary in thickness. I can remember an engine that I didn't build but when we tried to start it for the first time we ended up having to hook it to a tractor and pull start it because everything was so tight. We discovered about 4 months later after a catastrophic bearing failure that the cause of our problems where the bearings that had come in the crank kit, the one we checked was fine, all the others where too tight.

Old 11-10-2010, 08:35 PM
L. Ward
Elder User
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Rods with a different stroke??

And as the two above mentioned, plastigage is cheap.... always a good idea to check all the bearings to be safe.

Old 11-10-2010, 10:28 PM
Big-old-460
Senior User
Originally Posted by L. Ward
Rods with a different stroke??

And as the two above mentioned, plastigage is cheap.... always a good idea to check all the bearings to be safe.
ya good idea i will check a few more tomorrow, But again there clevite 77 bearings I should be safe ! lol
Ward that was a typo its a stroker kit i bought , and i typod that wrong my bad.

Old 11-10-2010, 10:58 PM
raystankewitz
Posting Guru

Received 16 Likes on 12 Posts
Just some thoughts

There is no way I would assemble a motor without checking everything twice!

Even Clevite bearings have been known to have (rare) issues with manufacturing tolerances. Don't take chances with your hard-earned money.

Just my 0.02 USD worth. YMMV.

Ray

Old 11-11-2010, 01:02 AM
Mudsport96
Cargo Master
Received 374 Likes on 287 Posts
I would check them all. Use plenty of assembly lube.. I use lubriplate. Coat the journals and bearing face thick. And everytime u torque a cap rotate the crank that way if it binds you know it was the last thing you tightened that caused the bind so you don't have to recheck it all. When totally together it should take less that 20 ft lbs to rotate the assembly because of ring drag mostly not trying to be an *** just tryin to save you a buck on having to do it twice cuz believe me the first engine I did didn't go as planned lol

Old 11-11-2010, 04:20 AM
Diesel_Brad
Fleet Owner
Received 60 Likes on 49 Posts
I am sorry but your teachers are idiots. They should be teaching you things, not have is correct their screw ups

Old 11-11-2010, 06:54 AM
L. Ward
Elder User
Originally Posted by Big-old-460
ya good idea i will check a few more tomorrow, But again there clevite 77 bearings I should be safe ! lol
Ward that was a typo its a stroker kit i bought , and i typod that wrong my bad.
Stroker Kit? Which kit/manufacturer? With a stroker, checking clearances is an absolute MUST! Not just rods/mains, but PTV, Counterweights, Rod to block, etc.

Also, with a stroker, its always a good idea to have the balance checked. Balance is critical on a stroker, as the excess rotating mass and longer throw on the crank will have a definite effect on the rpm's the motor is capable of handling. Once you break out of the mild stock range on a motor, time spent checking is never wasted time!! The junkyards are full of motors that were built that shoulda been safe.

Old 11-11-2010, 06:55 AM
L. Ward
Elder User
Originally Posted by Diesel_Brad
I am sorry but your teachers are idiots. They should be teaching you things, not have is correct their screw ups
Gotta say I am leaning towards agreeing with you there Brad!!

Old 11-11-2010, 06:59 AM
L. Ward
Elder User
Another thought, since you haven't mentioned it, and the "teachers" there seem to be a bit questionable... did you check the end gap on the rings?

Old 11-11-2010, 10:00 AM
nobearsyet
Tuned
again, as Wrad said, clearances are everything with a stroker, and balancing is key, have seen 383 Chevy motors shake themselves to pieces in a summer at the cruise ins in street rods that I know weren't raced because they weren't balanced right, defintely have that one internally balanced if it was me. btw, Speedway Motors sells a 552 kit for the 460

Old 11-11-2010, 05:22 PM
Big-old-460
Senior User
Originally Posted by nobearsyet
again, as Wrad said, clearances are everything with a stroker, and balancing is key, have seen 383 Chevy motors shake themselves to pieces in a summer at the cruise ins in street rods that I know weren't raced because they weren't balanced right, defintely have that one internally balanced if it was me. btw, Speedway Motors sells a 552 kit for the 460
Another thought, since you haven't mentioned it, and the "teachers" there seem to be a bit questionable... did you check the end gap on the rings?
Gotta say I am leaning towards agreeing with you there Brad!!
Stroker Kit? Which kit/manufacturer? With a stroker, checking clearances is an absolute MUST! Not just rods/mains, but PTV, Counterweights, Rod to block, etc.

Also, with a stroker, its always a good idea to have the balance checked. Balance is critical on a stroker, as the excess rotating mass and longer throw on the crank will have a definite effect on the rpm's the motor is capable of handling. Once you break out of the mild stock range on a motor, time spent checking is never wasted time!! The junkyards are full of motors that were built that shoulda been safe.
Originally Posted by Diesel_Brad
Originally Posted by Mudsport96
I would check them all. Use plenty of assembly lube.. I use lubriplate. Coat the journals and bearing face thick. And everytime u torque a cap rotate the crank that way if it binds you know it was the last thing you tightened that caused the bind so you don't have to recheck it all. When totally together it should take less that 20 ft lbs to rotate the assembly because of ring drag mostly not trying to be an *** just tryin to save you a buck on having to do it twice cuz believe me the first engine I did didn't go as planned lol
Ok Heres the Run down for today ! I have already had the Pistons , Rods, Crank WT , and flex plate etc , balanced , SO we are good . Just doing the Assembly today .

My ring gap should be between .10 -.20 its .10 so its nice and Tight,

During my assembley I broke an oil control ring GRR accidents happen , I will be replacing that Monday,

So far everything has Been covered in Lube, In fact I am a bit OCD bout things like this , So right before a part gos on it gets Brake cleaned, Air pressured dry then Lubed, then assembled ,
Thxs for all your Info and support. Short block is almost Done.

MudSport * I have been doing just that mate, One Piston at a time, then take a Socket to the End Nut, and turn with one hand, everything has been moving nicely with out and Bind At the moment ,
I will be Flushing the engine once , Before it gos in to the truck, So trying to keep everything as clean as possible .

I do have a Question :
My teacher wants me to Put on a Oil Sling, ?!! After i installed my Double roller chain, Problem is these engines don't come with one, as least mine didn't have 1, Any suggestions on this ? should i bother ? is it needed thxs

More pics tomorrow thxs
jayson

Quick Reply: 460 Complete Overhall with pics *Finshed Update !! 1-4-2011 Last Page!