Pre-Power Stroke Diesel (7.3L IDI & 6.9L) Diesel Topics Only

coolant additive ?

Old 09-28-2010, 11:08 AM
798hand
Freshman User
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
coolant additive ?

the onley test kits I can find are 25 dollars will it hurt if I just put the sca additive in

Old 09-28-2010, 11:20 AM
Festus Hagen
Methanoholic
Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
It needs to be properly balanced ...

Test strips are basically a one time purchase and will last you a long time if kept in a cool dry dark location.

They are like $18 bux at Napa, PN#4106

-Enjoy
fh : )_~

Old 09-28-2010, 07:34 PM
94 smokin stroker
Elder User
well i dont mean to go against festus but when i was looking at that option the diesel mechainic who has 40years experince told me not to worry bout it just every other or oil change dump a pint in and you cant really overdo it unless its pure sca additive and i trust his knowledege he has been higly recomended by others and been local 40+ years so do what u want i ended up goin elc route easier but i wouldnt worry put enough to treat like 6 or 8 gallons in and just add a pint every oil change

Old 09-28-2010, 10:20 PM
798hand
Freshman User
Oh hell I I broke down and got the kit

Old 09-28-2010, 10:43 PM
Festus Hagen
Methanoholic
Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
Cool, He's been doing it almost as long as I ... Good for him!

-Enjoy
fh : )_~

Old 09-29-2010, 01:57 PM
94 smokin stroker
Elder User
no means to **** at you but this would mean your bio is wrong it says you intrested in computers and semi retired from that that has nothin to do with diesel just sayin and he went to wyotech and nashville auto diesel college to do this so im not sure but believe that he has been doin actual diesel mechanics longer as a certified diesel tech unless you did go to college for that may have idk im just sayin the facts

Old 09-29-2010, 07:38 PM
FORDF250HDXLT
Post Fiend
Received 37 Likes on 31 Posts
education and experience are worthless if they are not applied.
Festus is correct.the proper SCA level is required.
if you don't have enough,then cavitation can occur.
if you have to much,then the SCA's cannot do their job properly,and on top of that,you can plug up your coolant system because to much additives will turn to sludge.
having to much SCA's is just as bad as having to little.
wise is the man who listen to folks here like Festus on FTE.

"Q: Is it possible to overdose your engine on SCAs?

A: Yes, it is possible to overdose your engine on SCAs. You need to keep your SCAs in a ratio of one pint per 4 gallons. When you check your SCA levels with test strips, there is a little area on the charts for the colors you want that will tell you where the idea range is. Too low is bad, too high is bad. When the levels get too high you can get other problems like sludge in your radiator, decreased cooling ability of the coolant, and it may destroy the water pump.

Q: How do I check my SCA levels and how often do I check them?

A: SCAs should be checked every 10,000 miles at least. A good rule of thumb though is to check them every other oil change.

As they bond to metal walls and are eaten off by cavitation they lose their ability to re-bond to the walls therefore need to be replenished.

To check them you need to buy Fleetguard test strips, the part number is CC2602BDS, you can buy these online or at a Fleetguard/Cummins dealer. Ford does not make test strips. On Ford's SCA bottles they say to use Fleetguard test strips. Basically they are little strips with little pads on them. These pads have little chemical indicators on them and when you dip the strip into your coolant the pads will change color. Depending on what color they change they tell you what your levels of SCAs are. There is a little chart that comes with them to tell you what the different colors mean."

Cavitation Article

(this statement is directed at everyone reading: have you completely read this article yet? set the time aside to do so if you haven't yet.its that important.)

Old 06-08-2012, 06:52 PM
av8or1
Senior User
Received 17 Likes on 12 Posts
Hi-

I read the cavitation article, good stuff, thanks!

I am going to look at a 1989 F350 with the 7.3L, 5 speed, rear wheel drive tomorrow. The current owner doesn't know much about SCAs but the previous owners had the truck in their company fleet, so I presume they did/do. Anyway, I was planning on taking a test kit with me to check it out. I'm a bit worried about it, though the above article mentions not doing that if you don't see any signs of trouble. Problem is that we don't have a Napa store in this area, so I'm gonna have to hunt for strips. Also, I called a local Autozone and the guy there told me not to worry about it, that the "newer coolants" already have the additive in them, but to just be sure to use the green coolant with the low silicate formula. This didn't sound right per the article...

Anyway, just curious to know if there are other things I should look out for tomorrow when I take a look at this thing?

Thanks!

Old 06-08-2012, 08:11 PM
tjc transport
i ain't rite
Received 3,081 Likes on 2,151 Posts
the local autozoo guy don't know his rectal orifice from a hole in the ground.
you can get coolant test strips from anyone that sells diesel engines. International, Cummins, John Deere, Cat. they all sell them at the parts counters.
i never tried to get them from Ford, but i bet they probably have them too.

Old 06-08-2012, 09:24 PM
av8or1
Senior User
Ok thanks Tom. 'Been doing more and more digging ... learning like crazy ... don't like feeling stupid about stuff, especially when it is in regard to a pending purchase. A lot of this cavitation business appears to center around how an owner chooses to fight it. You apparently can run the green coolant with low silicate and use SCAs, run a HD ELC with no SCA or run something like Evans which avoids the concern for an SCA since it is void of water.

Is that about right? If so, it then seems to me that it would not be possible to know which approach the previous owner was utilizing. If I end up buying it, I think the best course of action will be to flush the system and go with my approach choice.

Thanks again,

Jerry

Old 06-09-2012, 05:32 AM
tjc transport
i ain't rite
that pretty much sums it up in a nutshell. i use regular green with napakool in my 88. it now has over 493,000 miles on it.
i throw a test strip at it once a year and add if needed.

i would pass on the evans though. i don"t know if you looked at the price, but that stuff is around $45 per gallon. way too costly for me.

Old 06-09-2012, 05:43 AM
hookedondiesel
Senior User
Originally Posted by tjc transport
the local autozoo guy don't know his rectal orifice from a hole in the ground.
Very true, our local "Ford" dealer parts guy, looked at me with a stund look on his face when I asked for some strips.
you can get coolant test strips from anyone that sells diesel engines. International, Cummins, John Deere, Cat. they all sell them at the parts counters.
i never tried to get them from Ford, but i bet they probably have them too.
I tried Benson's, Napa and lastly Ford with no strips in hand.
We do have allot of agriculture dealers around here, lots of farmers
And you made a good suggestion that I never thought of, John Deere, gonna check with them today.
I did purchase the pink stuff on sale at wallmart that has sca already in it, but...I'd like to know, for piece of mind whats been in mine.
The old IDI has 90,000km on it, just want to check it out before emptying it.
I must say, at my end , anyway's, Napa did have the test strips for ph level and freeze-point strength, but thats not what i wanted.
If anyone in Ontario Canada has a part # for these thing's, and a dealer,
chime in with it, I may have to resort to asking Santa for them.

Old 06-09-2012, 09:58 AM
av8or1
Senior User
Yeah I agree with you Tom, I don't plan on going the Evans route. I plan on doing the HD ELC thing with no SCA. Unfortunately the truck I was looking at didn't turn out to be the one for me, so the search is back on. But at least I'm a bit smarter for the next time around. Now to learn even more about diesels...

Old 06-09-2012, 03:26 PM
Fireman_dave
Senior User
Where can I get the sca additives, I asked ford and they looked at me like I was a *******, and I agree with the AutoZone comment above...napa has a coolant additive called Napa kool but reading it nothing is said about sca

Old 06-09-2012, 04:03 PM
tjc transport
i ain't rite
napakool is a sca for diesel engines.

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: coolant additive ?