1999 - 2003 7.3L Power Stroke Diesel  
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: DP Tuner

New Clearance Lights+Rain= Water in my cab!!!

Search this Thread

Old 09-26-2010, 09:33 PM
taylornelms
Junior User
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
New Clearance Lights+Rain= Water in my cab!!!

Well I got my clearance lights installed a couple days ago by a body shop. When I got in my truck this afternoon I noticed a little water in my floor mat. I assumed I just hadnt closed my door completely. After a few minutes of driving the light on my gear selector came on ( the "off" light like when you hit the Over drive button on the gear selector.) The light flashes on and off. On my way home after my truck had sat for a few hours I noticed water in my overhead console (lariat). The truck still runs fine and everything acts as it should. But water in my cab is a no no.

My question:

Does the ligth have anythign to do with the water in my cab?

How do I pull the headliner in my truck so i can run some silicone on my lights to keep water out?

Are all of these things becuase of my clearance lights?

Old 09-26-2010, 09:39 PM
Ponyboychris
Hit it!
Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
Could be. I installed my own clearance lights and you and loosen then visor screws, then the two plus and pull the headliner down. Then you can either see where you have a leak or/and silicone the lights. I think your body shop didn't do it right.

Old 09-26-2010, 09:42 PM
taylornelms
Junior User
Yea i should have paid more to have it done but i paid a 100 bucks so i cant complain too much.

Old 09-26-2010, 09:49 PM
Ponyboychris
Hit it!
Sneak a look under the headliner. you don't want water leaking!

Old 09-26-2010, 09:51 PM
frdf250
Fleet Mechanic
Received 7 Likes on 5 Posts
Originally Posted by taylornelms
Well I got my clearance lights installed a couple days ago by a body shop. When I got in my truck this afternoon I noticed a little water in my floor mat. I assumed I just hadnt closed my door completely. After a few minutes of driving the light on my gear selector came on ( the "off" light like when you hit the Over drive button on the gear selector.) The light flashes on and off. On my way home after my truck had sat for a few hours I noticed water in my overhead console (lariat). The truck still runs fine and everything acts as it should. But water in my cab is a no no.

My question:

Does the ligth have anythign to do with the water in my cab?

How do I pull the headliner in my truck so i can run some silicone on my lights to keep water out?

Are all of these things becuase of my clearance lights?
i would contact the place that installed them and make sure they cover there work. thats pretty standard to install them with silicone. When i bought my from recon believe it or not the instructions did not say to seal them. but common sense would tell you to.

to pull the headliner what your going to need to do is remove the sun visors, i think its a total of 6 philips screws...then you will probally have to take out some of the A Pillar molding. i was able to reach my cab lights and install everything by just pulling it past the a pillar but if you feel more comforable doing it without the headliner in then just slowly and carefully pull the rest of the plastic and body clips out and somehow get it out one of the doors....its possible trust me lol.

now would be a good time to put dynomat in the roof while you have the headliner down. it makes a hugeeee difference.

Phil

Old 09-26-2010, 09:51 PM
frdf250
Fleet Mechanic
Received 7 Likes on 5 Posts
jeez i must have really been typing slow lol

Old 09-26-2010, 09:52 PM
robles4242
Senior User
I just did mine today! I suggest you take out everything they did and do it YOURSELF! (that way you know its done right).

Take out your visors and end clips that hold them, and there are 2 push pins, remove them. Take the covers off your A pillars. Drivers just pulls off. Passenger has 4 10mm bolts holding on OH **** handle and remove that. It will pop out like other side. Loosen your light in the middle so you can pull it down further. Take your head liner away from the rubber on the sides so you dont kink it.
Next you will see 2 screws sticking through and a wire (per each light).

From the top take the covers off and lift the lights off your cab by loostening the screws that hold them down. APPLY SILICONE to the rubber exp around the holes. Fasten it all back down.

APPLY SILICONE over the screws sticking through on the bottom.

Assemble truck again and Vwla Lah! Dry as can be. You could prob just silicone Either side either way if you didnt wanna pull a head liner or didnt wanna take them off the top. If you wanna get crazy you can silicone around the cab lights totally with out pulling anything (USE CLEAR).

Old 09-27-2010, 10:13 AM
Ponyboychris
Hit it!
Here's my install pics. This may help you in getting to your lights and resealing them.

Clearance Light install pictures from trucks photos on webshots

Old 09-27-2010, 11:11 AM
robles4242
Senior User
We just got our first rain today. Dry as can be!

Old 09-27-2010, 12:27 PM
Duck Hunter81
Senior User
I would take the truck back to the installer. You paid for a job to be done and it should be done right even if it was cheap. Plus I would make them pay to fix/clean what ever water made it into the truck because you don't want you carpet/ etc to get mold or mildew. As far as the OD light, it might be a water problem or the wire could be chaffed and just happened to fail at the same time as the water getting in.